1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spilled Coke on Laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by darklordmike, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The problem with accidental damage insurance fraud like this is that it's very hard for them to prove. A laptop genuinely dropped down the stairs and a laptop deliberately dropped down the stairs look very much the same. Even if you're a repeat offender you'll just look like a very clumsy person.

(I should make note here that I have not done this. I do have accidental damage insurance, but have never had to use it. Yet.)

2. Sageun

Sageun Fourth Year

Good point.

I just think they'd consider it odd if it happened in conjunction with coke being spilled on the keyboard.

darklordmike: You could try to simply dry it off with a hair blow drier and send it in. My dad once did that with a laptop he'd spilled wine all over and Apple repaired it on warranty, no questions asked. I'd try that before buying a new keyboard. You might get lucky.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Spilled coke would also count as accidental damage. Just not enough damage to justify a replacement, rather than a fix, I think. I know someone who got a replacement under accidental damage after his friend pissed on his laptop.

4. Sageun

Sageun Fourth Year

I guess it differs from insurance to insurance because I'm very sure if I spilled anything on my laptop they wouldn't even fix it. They'd say I took an unnecessary risk.

I assume someone peeing on it would be a different matter, however.

5. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah, peeing on a laptop is fucking disgusting. wtf kind of people do you hang around with that they're pissing on laptops, doors and not the fucking toilet? >_>

6. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I'm surprised that Toshiba people said that. Most modern laptops have drains behind the keyboard.

I know my ThinkPad had seven spanned across the keyboard that drains behind the laptop chassis.

7. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

[​IMG]

8. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Thanks for all the advice, folks.

New keyboard is on the way for $30, and I'm going to try to install it myself.

The warranty expired two years ago, and I never had additional insurance, so committing fraud wasn't really an option :)

9. Trulle

Trulle Second Year DLP Supporter

Just for the lulz, and from someone whore more than once accidentally *cough* had more liquid than should be on his computer:
    There are several ways to clean it. All require: take out every fucking power supply. After it, you're pretty much free to do what you want:
    There are these little tooth brushes that can also "shoot" water. Don't know what they are called. Pick one of these, a 2 Gallon bottle of distilled water and let the fun begin. Best be done in your bathtub. After that, wash in pure ethanol (okay, 95%+).
    Let it dry for 3- 5 months (okay, 1-4 weeks, or lets say 3 days in the oven at 50°C and with lots of air pushing the water out of it) and it should be fine.
    Have done this MORE than once with my motherboard after i had poured half a liter salt-containing water over it. Yummie.

(There is also a lot of speculation as on wether you can wash it inside the dishwasher- some cases reported where it worked. As with the cat- "insert standard disclaimer")

Not accountable for all that above me- if you don't know what you're doing (or, like me, got an unhealthy fascination to experience electricity-damage), keep your hands of it.

But keep us happy and informed on wether changing the keyboard works.
    Cheers

10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Sticking a laptop in a dishwasher may be the most retarded thing I have heard anyone say this month.

11. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

You sure?

HE'S IN A COMPETITION WITH HIMSELF! D8