1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spin off thread: Awesomely bad fan fic reviewers

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Midknight, Sep 23, 2005.

1. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

But Snape and Ginny haven't entered the story.

Knowing what it will be Doesn't mean I can't like it NOW!!!

DON'T STIFLE MY FEELINGS!!! :runs away sobbing:

2. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

wow this has gone so far off topic... this is awesomely bad fanfic reviewers not stories >_>

Meh it's not up to me to judge i suppose 8)

3. DGD

DGD Headmaster

could a Mod/Admin merge these posts with the awesomely bad fanfics thread?

4. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I hate you for the cliffy, no im dying of antisipation. ive found the cure: you must write more soon! So if you dont ill die. Kep wrting your good at the killing people with suspension... especially me!!
    what a shitty review, for god sakes write reviews that aren't riddled with spelling errors..

5. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

As long as crappy stories is a topic, here is a link to the story with more cliches than any i have ever read, http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2477048/1/
    this couldn't be more off topic but i just recovered my review for this story and the email from the author..

review 1:
    wow harry the stupid little bitch, was surprised at r/hr going out?
    Your a good writer but i can guess the whole story, harry is
    struggling to get over sirius' death, while he is upset with
    dumbledore until he gets training from him gets some god like
    powers, suddenly falls in love with ginny/hermoine, ron gets jealous
    over something, and hermoine is the voice of reason. i hope it is
    original..
    Email from the author:

Ok, in my defense, you've read how many chapters? You've just
    described the first... let me see... maybe 10 chapters of a 46
    chapter fic... Of course Harry struggles to get over Sirius, any
    sixth year book that doesn't have that in it isn't realistic... of
    course he's angry with DD, wouldn't you be if DD could have told you
    that prophecy sooner and saved Sirius's life? Of course he get's
    training, GOD, without it Voldie would cream him...you're way off
    with the amazing powers. I hate Super!Harry fics with a passion,
    what's the point in a battle with Voldie if we knew for a fact that
    Harry's better? I'm a Harry/Ginny shipper, so duh, he's gonna fall
    for her... Ron doesn't technically get jealous (if that's what you
    want to call it, then he does around chapter 18) and Hermione ends
    up ignoring the boys for the better part of 3 chapter in the early
    30's... please note the many missing chapters that you haven't
    described...

Please, just keep reading, after an insult like that, you owe me
    that... It's as bad as my friend's mum hating the HP books without
    ever reading them...

this author actually told me the story didn't have many cliches and gets better..

6. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I think, though I may be wrong, that threads can be split but not merged. So I asume the best they could do is spit it away from this thread into a thread of its own.

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yep, splitty but not mergy. It's alright I'll leave them in, but get off the fics topic folks, and the cliches, there are dedicated threads I made specifically for them.

8. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I just recieved these reviews for my long abandoned fic which I could think of no better place for than here:

Well you have missed out on a great oppotunity with your discailmer - try to make it more substantial and we have always found our readers to be partial to highly amusing personal touches in the disclaimer.

The carbon fibre wand is a great idea! Well done with this wonderful imaginitive thought!

Using the bold icon to make things stand out was a feat of genius.

Couldnt find one single spelling mistake and we read it 11 times just to make sure! So well done again!

Wow Harry (Dan!) has a very long wand 17 inches!

Wow using the name Tom for the land lord of the Leaky Cauldren was so original we are very impressed! (We also feel the name Petunia also falls into this catogary)

In your first paragraph you have detailed that Surrey town is small - exactly how small is it? And could you also tell me the ratio between this size and the bedroom Harry is sat in which is also 'small'.

We like the way Harry is doing more excersise - do you think these are the methods Dan would use?

We are glad that you used the word 'like' in the sentence:
    "which flowed around his fingers like pooling mercury" -We were relieved as it wasn't real mercury - not a good thing incase you were wondering!

Well that's all we really have to say. We'll review chapter 2 and hopefully it will be longer as we find this review rather short (but not as short as your chapter - see we relate things to other things so you have a comparison!) - but packed full of constructive critism and praise for your wonderful chapter!

As promised here is the review for chapter 2 I expect you were wondering where we were. We think that you have improved your disclaimer - you must have taken heed of our suggestion!

Well we couldn't find any typos having read this story through 27 times but we'll keep reading and checking just incase. But you have a few minor grammatical errors.
    Examplar: '"Is it dual or triple function" Harry enquired.'
    Now you see at the end of the sentance (before the last speechmarks and before Harry (Dan) you need ... a question mark. Now this looks like .. ? and is found on your keyboard next to the right hand side shift button.

Who is A?

Did you know in the first 2 paragraphs and A: (whoever that is!)of this chapter you used all the letters of the alphabet except and q!! But we just used it here so its OK!No need to worry anymore.

What is this DA?

How much is 25 galleons in pounds sterling?

When and where did Harry first acquire this 'Dueling Book'? (Notice the question mark?) And what is explained on page 232 of this book?

Although we think the wand idea is really good, we were just wondering why Harry didn't shop around before picking this excepptional wand? Harry (Dan!!) doesn't seem like a very good business man. (But remember DAN is!)

Who is Cedric, well we knew there was a Cedric in Hogwarts but we weren't aware he featured very much and we are confused about what Harry did for him. Could you explain this in your next chapter?
    NB Cedric in the film was so good looking but nowhere NEAR as good looking as Dan!-have you seen the film-weren't the books based on them??

What flavour were the owl treats? And how many were there? How much did they cost? These little details are very important and readers really appreciate them.

How many of these 'whims' does Harry have? Because we need forewarning as it scares us a bit. Thanks in advance.

Who was battering Harry's trunk?

What's a 'Weasley'? And how many has Harry previously encountered?

How tall in comparison is Harry in relation to the of the 1, 3 amd 12 sized trunks?

Why does Harry think the book entittled: "So you've got dark wizards after you? Here's what you do" will be appropriate? What are Dark Wizards and why are they after Harry? Are you trying to confuse people?

Do all the books you mention in this chapter have wings as they are flying off the shelves? Including the "Dueling book" (Great title by the way!)previously mentioned.

Did Harry get anything at the fish and chip shop or did he just like to go there sometimes to look at it?

Why did Harry put his clothes in first and school things in second? We have discussed it and we would have put the clothes in last so they wouldn't get creased as we are sure that Harry (Dan!!) would ALWAYS want to look his best (like Dan could look any better than his own amazing natural amazingness- see GOF premiere pics - YUM YUM!!1)

We think the amount of description about the colour of the book was good but a bit more would have been better, and we are still confused why would Harry read this girly book?

What was this amusing site that Remus saw. Was it the Llama song?

The following morning - What day is it? and what time of the morning?

We hope our complements have encouraged you off your "long hiatus" perhaps our suggesetions will inspire you to write more we'd love to read it but bear everything we've said in mind as with it your story will be ALOT better than it is now.

Please answer our question soon as we hate to be kept in the dark and we never leave our reviewers on mean cliffies for too long- we have found this a very successful approach to writing fanfic and we believe you ought to adopt our tactics as you will get more reviews- we'll be first in line to review your next chapter and if you want any ideas from us we'd be happy to help- read our stories to see how good our own plotlines are and we expect to hear from you soon!

SFS x

9. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    ...wtfh? Is that person beyond an idiot or is it just me?

10. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I am hoping it is sarcasm. Or they are just some nut job.

11. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

It seems like that reviewer hasn't even seen the movies, besides some fangirl-ish interest in "Dan". They asked,
    It makes me want to hunt them down and shoot them. :wall:

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I got one! I got one!

You need to remove these Author's notes at the end.
    I thought this fic was much longer than it actually is, which is what drew me to it in the first place.

When I found out that a good portion of the 75k word count was actually unneccesary authors notes and disclaimers I was very displeased.

Whether this violates FFNet's "brief author's notes" rule I'm not sure. But it would be a courtesy to your readers to remove these notes.

My response:

I just checked your claims.

Agregated author notes of all chapters are total of 2,835 words.
    The whole fic, including the author notes is 74,046 words.

... which makes the total percentige of notes ~ 3,8%. I think that's in no way a "good portion of the 75K".

As for disclaimers, I can't remove them even if I wanted - they are mandatory according to Fanfiction.Net rules.