1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Stained Future by Master Slytherin - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Master Slytherin, Aug 20, 2006.

1. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

the only problem i have is if it says "20 years later" and we don't see any of harry's training along the way. Then it becomes and harry learned to do this, harry learned to do that, it's basically a free pass for you to give harry whatever powers you want, although you did see that you weren't going to take that route..

2. liath

liath Seventh Year

Yeah. A bit too early, I think, especially 'cuz I just realized I couldn't change my vote. :p

3. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

its a good start imo, as long as u dont keep him in the whiny mode, but im sure u wont do that.

4. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I like it so far can tell more in a few more chapters. If it turns out as good as OSoH I will like it. But yes I agree please dont go and give Harry GODLY powers in 20 years. He can only do so much in 20 years.

5. liath

liath Seventh Year

Hmmm... You'd be surprised how much someone can accomplish in twenty years--especially with a teacher as driven as that Prewett seems.

6. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Yes you can accomplish alot but you cant squeeze 40 or 50 years worth of experience and knowledge into 20.

7. sirius009

Voldy has 50 plus years of fighting experience, by the time harry has twenty (or 35 depending on how you look at it) Voldy will have 70 plus years of combat experience. Nothing can make up for actualy combat, you can only duel the same people so many times before it becomes cheating because you know what they're going to do..

8. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Well, it was said that Voldemort travels around the world after he left Hogwarts, he didn't spend the whole 50 years training. He spent it traveling, recruiting, and planning.

If Harry spends 20 years with constant training, he may still not be as powerful, which is why, something else needs to come. Harry needs to have some form of secret power.

be it love or the super Gryffindor sword(yes, both Cliches)

9. sirius009

when Voldy was traveling you gotta believe he was training/fighting along the way, how much can harry learn by dueling Prewett and Lyrna(?) over and over again?

10. se7en

se7en Professor

Prewett could only teach him so much. Even if he did 20 years of independant studies, he wouldn't be on par with Voldemort. And apparently it isn't constant training either. I see the "family" in the summary.

11. sirius009

correct me if i'm wrong, but i remember MS telling me it was a trilogy? i could be wrong though..

12. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

Experience only takes you so far. Age is what kills you. MS you gonna have flashbacks of his training? Besides good start. I gonna wait a few chapters before saying anything.

13. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Yes, Prewett can only teach him so much, but you are acting as if you already know what is going to happen. This is a prologue, we don't know how its going to be carried on, we only have what we read from the summary and what was said in one chapter. You are assuming to much.

I am going to have to save any more judgements for later, when I have some more back-up.

I don't think Voldemort planned on being the Dark Lord everyone feared, I don't believe that he spent the moment he came out of Hogwarts till this moment training, for he can only learn so much. he tried to do other things to make himself stronger, as in trying to become immortal and creating an army. and although, yes, he had to become powerful to become feared by many, much of that power comes from just that, fear. Nothing in the books show just how powerful he is besides his duel with Dumbledore, and we don't even know just how powerful Dumbledore is, if he can barely protect a school already filled with protection.

14. se7en

se7en Professor

Riddle set off the basilisk while he was in school. He was also named Voldemort by his close friends. This tells that he was active even before he left school.

15. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

yes, he killed one person in school, and needed to feel all powerful, giving himself a nickname, getting rid of the name of the person who abandoned him before his birth.

This is not the Evil Dark Lord who will kill anything that gets in his way.

Later he killed his relatives out of vengence, but it was when he traveled that he fully become a megolomaniac, no one knows what he did during his travels. He had no one to guide him in his learning, so he would no train has hard as Harry could.

16. se7en

se7en Professor

But Voldemort was still on par with Dumbledore, the top wizard in Britain, if not the world. And how do we know that he is actually a great wizard? It is proven in the DoM where Harry is awestruck by both Voldemort and Dumbledore's abilities, while Harry said nothing about Kingsley, Tonks, (Both Aurors.) or any top Inner-circle member.

17. sirius009

18. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

last post I promise...for I do feel like I am Hijacking someone elses thread...

We don't know anyone else that has actually tried to become powerful. We know the aurors, who were put through training for a couple years, but we still don't know just how powerful Dumbledore and Voldemort are, we will never get enough information. Many people make Voldemort stronger than he appears to be, and I feel like thats what you guys are thinking of.

Yes, Voldemort usually has to become stronger to make up for how strong Harry usually becomes in many stories, but realistically, I think 20 years of constant training will make Harry strong enough to have a chance. Maybe not if he had just learned from the Prewetts, but I am just glad that its original....disapearing for 20 years that is.

19. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As much as training and power may count, intelligence has got to count for more IMO.

In a wizarding duel there are so many different styles of magic, forms of magic, tactics, and possibilities, that you would need to be highly intelligent to even have half a chance at managing to any great degree.

Ok, any idiot with enough practice can through a killing curse, but what happens when their target dodges, and sends backa dozen spells that they don't recognise.

I would imagine that that is the goal among elite duelers, to have a spell that an opponent doesn't recognise. It doesn't actually matter if it an internal combustion curse, a blinding spell or a spell to stimulate a persons fingernail growth. hell, it could be a tickling charm or cleaning charm, so long as the person doesn't recognise what it is, they would be thrown off track, thus possibly giving an opening for a strike.

So Dumbledore and Voldemort will each have their prefered fields, but IMPO Dumbledore has the magical upperhand, because as a Transfiguration Master, he can utilise anything in his immediate environment as a weapon or distraction, or as a shield. However, he would not be able to survive a duel without a vast knowledge of otehr branches and forms of magic.

Voldemort, I would imagine, is feared partly because during his trip around the world he picked up a large variety of ratehr horrid curses that people are unfamiliar with, so that makes him a particularly feared duelist.

If Harry were to get a basic grounding in general magic, a more detailed grounding in shielding, transfiguration and charms, then do research into esoteric magic, so he could learna bunch of spells that his opponent might not know, then he would stand a chance.

One of the reasons that Dumbledore can't beat Voldemort, is that he is too old, and thus his reflexes have slowed down. THus, if Harry trains well enough, he would have that same advantage against Voldemort. a 50 year old is more lithe than a 120 year old, but a 30 year old is more lithe than a 70 year old.

So all in all, if Harry proves to be intelligent enough to be able to keep in mind all his magical knowledge, so that he can recognise and counter any attacks, and he learsn some stuff Voldemort doesn't know, then he might stand a chance.

20. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

The story itself is pretty good, and I can tell it's very well thought out/wrttien.

The only problem is that it's not my cup of tea. It's nothing you did wrong, but I don't like Family!Harry, who has a life with love and all that.

I just prefer my Harry lonely and unnattatched.

Maybe I'm just immature...