1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Stairway to Heaven – Climbing a 1786 ft Tower

Discussion in 'Flash and Spam Games' started by Otters, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Scary indeed, good point about the swaying despite the video not mentioning it, Midknight.

The only 'weakness', if any, is that they take an elevator up to 1600 feet, so they are only climbing 186 actually. That said... that 186 foot climb itself looks to be rather harrowing anyway. Especially with all of the small-looking pegs that you are supposed to climb on.

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Another thing... I'd be shit scared of one of those rung snapping or dislodging somehow. They just look like a bolt and a nut. o_o

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Fucking hell. I'm god damned terrified of this shit. @_@

That said, once I came back from cleaning the poop from my pants, I had to watch it again, just cause.

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

They're just welded onto the side of the pole. Think more rebar with a bend at the end tack welded onto the side of the stupid huge pole. Welds tend to get weaker over time as exposure to the elements fucks with them. Again, no thx.

5. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Wow. I'm glad that's not me! I'm not really scared of heights either, I'm more afraid I'd fall off! When he got to the top (wow, what a view!), and he was looking down, it almost made me want to topple over even though I'm sitting! Scary shit, man, scary shit!

6. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Wow. I generally like heights, but that video was something else. Half of me wants to stay the fuck away from anything remotely high for the next few months, and half of me honestly wants to give it a go...

7. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

If you die (when), can I have your DLP account?

8. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And can I have your pokemon cards?

9. Alindrome

That's not very optimistic of you, guys! D:

Climbing is fun once you get past the whole 'ohgodI'mgoingtodie' part and the exhaustion that comes with long climbs. I'm out of practice, but the trickiest part for me is trying to get footholds in a cliff; climbing a tower, however, means you have real places to put your feet for once. And that view looks spectacular.

Damn... the more I think about it, the more I feel like doing it.

10. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Okay.

These guys are motherfucking bosses.

11. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, is that high enough up for the air to start getting thinner? Because that wouldn't help at all. :/

Genuinely hardcore motherfuckers that deserve massive respect. There is literally nothing you could give me to do that.

12. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    One thing you could give me to do that: a helicopter. >_>

13. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Depends where the towers are. There are some cities thousand of feet above sea level where the air is considerably thinner than other places. I wouldn't imagine the effects would be as severe as climbing a mountain though. :p

14. Cosmo4

Cosmo4 Third Year

The biggest parts of that climb look to the the transitions between sections of the tower, the wind, tower sway and hauling a 30 pound bag up behind you. Although, I suspect the tower sway isn't as noticeable since you don't have much for frame of reference.

I think I would give it a go as well. Having done a highball 5.8 (4a for the euros) boulder that should really be climbed with a rope, the fear of falling isn't really something that gets in the way for me. It tempers my actions. I'm not going to be doing any dynamic movements or climbing near my skill level any time soon but it doesn't paralyze me.

While I have mad respect for the people who climb towers as a job, I have even more respect for people who do it for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC2eOl4f23Q

Free soloing big wall climbs takes major balls or a few screws loose.

Then again, doing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tzga6qAaBA as a day job must require you to carry your balls around in a wheelbarrow.

15. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

I'm atheist.

But after three minutes, I was sitting way back in my chair, whimpering to God, please fucking save me. Because that shit is scary.

Edit: I wonder if a penny dropped from that height could kill someone. Actually, I am now morbidly wondering just what would happen to a human that fell from that height.

Anyone have pics?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  16. Alindrome

The fall of a penny is slowed significantly by air resistance. It would actually fall at 10.952 metres per second, which would pose no threat to a human. If you want to see how this is calculated, look here.

As for surviving falls, there have been cases where people have been known to survive ridiculously high falls - the highest known, IIRC, is that of Vesna Vulovic who survived a 10,160 m fall. To put that in perspective, this tower is only 544 m. Most of the deaths from falling occur in damage to the internal organs and arteries, notably the risk of the spine breaking. It's thought that the best way to survive would be to land on one's side. I would have thought that the tower tapering would affect how high one could actually fall from it, however. I am unfamiliar with these tower types.

Also, the rest of your post is pretty much the most pathetic thing I've heard all week.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  17. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mythbusters tested it.

A penny’s total mass is not sufficient to perforate human skin – let alone penetrate concrete or asphalt – even when fired from a rifle.

On topic: I'm afraid of heights, and now I'm afraid of this video. I really hope this guy gets paid a lot.

18. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Mythbusters did the penny thing. Didn't work.

19. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

To be fair, in that case there were a lot of mitigating factors. Such as, IIRC, falling on a slope with lots of snow. Probably some softer type of snow. Still, your point has been made, and the last sentence in your post thoroughly ignored. :p

20. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I'd def try this, plus have one of those flying suits that CheddarTrek linked in another thread, so I could flyyyyyyyy like an eagle, to the sea...

Do it for the thrills, lads.