1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Yeah, the current speculation I've heard is that they were let go after they got on-stage at a con and talked about how they had gone into GOT with no experience and even less of an idea what they were doing and just sorta flailed around randomly, getting carried by the strength of the actors they'd hired and Martin's writing, which they never really understood, culminating in a brief bit where they openly talked about how they flatly rejected feedback and refused to engage with any criticisms of the show.

No concrete evidence for that, but the news about that interview/Q&A session broke only a few hours before it was announced they weren't doing Star Wars anymore, which makes me feel like there's a connection.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Now Disney just needs to quietly shelve Rian's trilogy and perhaps I'll trust their decision making again.

3. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  4. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

5. Mister Ferro

Mister Ferro High Inquisitor

J.J did an interview with RollingStone and its a doozy.

On Rey;
    On Rian:

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    The questions must have been preapproved, because except for the bit about Rey's powers, he has said all of those exact same things before in other interviews.

7. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

I hated Rian Johnson's take on Star Wars, but I don't consider myself one of the "angry fanboys." That said... isn't this the definition of a Mary Sue to the letter?

So they had no idea of where this trilogy was going? No overarching plot? This give me very little hope. It's like that book where there were different writers every chapter and they kept writing over each others' plots, except this time it's not a joke.

8. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

No. If that was the case then there would be very few acceptable heroes in any action or adventure movie, male or female. The MC is almost always a cut above the rest.

A Mary Sue can do no wrong, is always the smartest person in the room, everyone bows to her perfect wisdom, is perfectly beautiful with negligible flaws, solves all the problems with little fuss while at the same time still maintaining her perfect hair which is always gently flowing with a breeze that nobody else feels. She usually has an unusual colored, long flowing hair with matching eyes, except when her eyes are multi-colored. She has every-power all at once, not like the plebes that only have five or so.

Everyone bows at her supreme perfectness.

Mary Sue has become synonymous with "a character I don't like" far too much.

OP'd maybe. RJ says that there's a reason she's OP'd, but waiting until the last movie to explain this is the wrong move. TLJ would have been the place to reveal her oddness in regards to power, but TLJ failed on a number of fronts.

9. Agayek

I mean, let's be real, while that list JJ laid out is more "protagonist" than "Mary Sue", Rey very much is a Mary Sue. They might try to justify it, but she's consistently portrayed as basically perfect and better than everyone else at most everything, and she's most definitely not allowed to fail. There's an argument to be had over how big of an issue that is, but not really over how true it is.

10. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Rey is a Mary Sue but Luke was too.

11. nahbutualright

nahbutualright Slug Club Member

Totally, like how he spent several years learning to use the force, is shown training multiple times over the course of the trilogy and lost when he went up against a more experienced force user unprepared. Classic Mary-Sue shit.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  12. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Unbelievably bad take, delete this nephew.

13. Agayek

In fairness, Luke definitely became something Mary-Sue-like in the EU; where he was basically perfect and a paragon of everything good in the world, on top of being hilariously overpowered. I'm not entirely sure if it's "Mary Sue" or just "fucking OP", but he was definitely in the ballpark either way.

In the movies though, I couldn't disagree more. Luke spent the first half of the first movie being an unlikable brat, and the entirety of the second movie just constantly failing at basically everything, from interpersonal relations to fighting and everything in between. He's a fair bit less of a fuckup in Return of the Jedi, that's very true, but he's still fairly easily manipulated and led around by Palpatine, and largely helpless against him. It was only because Vader still had some faint capacity for love, and Luke refusing to accept that he didn't, that Luke survived that encounter at all. I guess maybe Luke's conviction that his father isn't entirely a monster could be considered Mary Sue-ish, but given everything else, I'm not sure you could call him one.

14. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah...calling Luke a Gary-Stu (in the movies) isn't really fair to the character. But even -if- he fell into all the categories of a Gary-Stu (which I don't think he does), it's not as egregious as Rey because of timing and context.

A Mary-Sue isn't necessarily bad writing in the 60's/70's etc. It hadn't been shown to be a poor narrative choice at that time. Nowadays, it totally is.

I think the biggest issue with the new trilogy is the complete tone-deafness of the people involved. They say they are fans of star wars, but its like they are completely ignoring the fandom that's built up around it in order to do their own thing.

I'm greatly enjoying the Mandalorian though and excited for the Obi-wan show. But could care less about the new trilogy.

15. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Don’t you mean “couldn’t care less”?

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
  17. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm way more excited to see RLM's review of it. I don't even think I'll watch it until it's out on D+.

Mandalorian is the Star Wars I want. Vote with my wallet and all that.

18. Raigan123

Raigan123 Banned

I'll see it on thursday with some friends. I'm not too optimistic. The trailers and clips are meh. I'll try to forget everything about the Last Jedi before I go in. Probably the last Star Sars movie I'll pay for.

19. Nexis

Nexis Third Year

High Score:
    Will see it on Wednesday. I'm not hyped at all, haven't seen most of the trailers/teasers so I don't have any expectations. At the very least the visuals will probably be nice.

20. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Voting with my wallet. My head canon is that the EU is Luke's final story.

I'll watch post skywalker stuff if its as good as the Mandalorian. Also hopeful on the Kenobi tv show.

I'd watch a Kotor trilogy as well.

But not going to see this mess.