1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Episode VIII (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Red Aviary, Feb 15, 2016.

1. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

I'd go for that explanation, too. There's the earlier bit with Luke teaching Rey, showing her both the light and darkness, and then saying "balance" is "so much bigger".

2. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Shinysavage, regarding balance:
    I always thought the underlying assumption in Star Wars was that the galaxy tended naturally to darkness and that Jedi were needed as a counter-balance to that.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    [​IMG]

No but seriously, this looks super good, if for no other reason than we didn't get a single hint that a bigger, badder Death Star is being rolled around.

Also Mark Hamill.

4. mort

mort Groundskeeper

The 'no more Jedi' bit came across to me as Luke refusing to train Rey. Maybe he feels, with good reason, that it would be better that there was nobody trained in the Force left in the galaxy.

5. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Which would explain why he's the Hide and Go Seek champion of The Galaxy.

Sooo, my guess at the plot?

Rey says, Train me!

Stuff happens:

1) Luke flashes back to Kylo murderizing all the new Jedi kneeling next to R2 and putting his Mechno-hand (from the last movie) on top. And Luke tells Rey Nope!

2) Kylo goes to Snoke to complete his training. Snoke makes him destroy his helmet to further separate him from the failure that Darth Vader was.

3) Rey has upsetting visions and starts practicing on her own while Luke broods in the background.

4) Luke gets a surprise visit from (Ewan McGregor)ghost!Obi-Wan, he finally gives in and says okay, one Last Jedi then he's out of the game. But she has to stay and complete her training.

5) Kylo usurps/kills Snoke, takes control of the First Order and wins a major offensive against the Alliance.

6) Rey has more visions and leaves to help her friends.

7) Kylo/Rey Showdown! Rey loses her hand (Because all the leads lose their hands in the second movie)

8) Luke -- because he's not a punk like Yoda was in ESB -- steps in and saves Rey while Kylo is WTFDUDE! NOTCOOL!

9) Luke explains to Rey, while she's getting a new hand, that he left her on that desert planet because she's his daughter and she should hate sand as much as her dad and grandpa does.

10) Que the closing scene with them staring out of really big window looking at The Galaxy... oh and Finn wakes up.

6. Urumviel

Urumviel Squib

High Score:
    They do seem to be following the pattern of Episode V, albeit rather loosely.

I find the bit about 'no more Jedi' to be rather concerning. It's giving off a KOTOR 2 aura, and there are a multitude of ways in which that can be mishandled.

I agree that seems likely that Luke intended to go to his grave as the Last Jedi, given how he has been in hiding for decades, and so he won't want to train Rey.

I can only suppose that this means Kylo Ren's fall to the Dark Side has convinced him that Jedi will inevitable fall, bringing ruin and war to the galaxy. If that is the entire plot of the movie (unlikely, of course), it seems rather poorly thought out. Palpatine wasn't a fallen Jedi, yet he was the cause of the conflict in the original two trilogies. It was only because a Jedi rose to oppose him that he was overthrown.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  7. s0ng2Sing

s0ng2Sing Third Year

My opinion on the "no more Jedi" thing is that Luke has come to the conclusion that it is a flawed system. There existed more organizations/groups of force users besides the Jedi. Maybe he wants to move more towards a sort of "grey Jedi" way of interacting with the force?

8. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

I'm with the people who thinks the "no more Jedi" line hints at Luke laying the foundations for a new force-philosophy that will replace both the Jedi and Sith and end the moral extremes these organizations embodied, with Rey as the first member who will carry on his teachings. Disney has already hinted at it by introducing Bendu in Rebels. There is no good and evil, only The Force and the will to use it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  9. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Remember how little time Yoda actually had to train Luke? It was focused on combat, not years and years of Jedi philosophy and learning. I would never call Luke a "true" Jedi. A powerful force-user trained in the Jedi way, sure, but he's nothing like the Jedi of old. It doesn't surprise me to hear him utter that line, even with how iconic Jedi are to the Star Wars universe.

Are they gonna try to make him into some sort of Revan 2.0? Balance and stuff?

10. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I wouldn't be surprised if they went that way. The Grey Jedi philosophy has always been a fairly popular one amongst the fandom, but back when Lucas was running the show it never really went anywhere since he much preferred the classic Jedi (I vaguely recall him trying to mandate Grey Jedi ideals as just a Sith trick to lure Jedi to the dark side). Now that Disney's running things, I could see them adopting the fan-preferred cosmology.

11. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    I would agree with that. We don't know what actually happened between Episodes VI & VII, whether Luke was trained by multiple force ghosts, holocrons (if there even is such a thing in the new continuity, but I think the Clone Wars show might have made use of one), or whether he found some secret Jedi archive and is essentially self-taught.

All of the above could point toward a somewhat incomplete education, which in turn could be set up as the reason for why Luke failed to reach Ben. I do hope it gets cleared up in VIII, because that's one of the things I'm looking forward to most.

Also, a personal grievance of mine: While I like the English title, in German it translates to

"Die Letzten Jedi," which not only takes away from the ambiguity as it specifically makes use lf the plural form of Jedi, but also, to me as a native speaker, sounds terrible. The German translations have never been my favourites, but this one is particularly atrocious.

12. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

The trailer gives me the same bad vibes as the awful first rehash movie.

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Don't make such a snap judgement, dragon.

14. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    Its just a first look, we dont really know the plot yet. I think the concept of the "living force" will have a big part

15. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

I have to say I'm not a fan of the whole balance between light and darkness thing, it sounds like the start of so many grey Jedi stories.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bringing balance to the force is literally the central focus point of the entire Star Wars saga. Anakin brought balance by giving in to the dark side and helping the Sith rise from the shadows. But then they wiped out the jedi and the scales tipped in favor of the dark.

Along comes Luke, he gets dear ol dad to kill the emperor, bringing things back into balance. But then he goes on to restore the jedi order, and lo and behold there's a dark side power vacuum once again.

I'm guessing that with the destruction of the new jedi order at the hands of Ben, Luke finally realized that any attempt to restore the supremacy of the jedi would throw the force out of whack, and that for true balance to be achieved, he had to stop pitting himself against the dark side and learn to simply coexist with it.

17. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bringing balance to the Force was supposed to mean the eradication of the Sith, not "hey evil deserves a fair shake ya know, better just sit back and watch."

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Through the lens of the original trilogy only, yes you are correct. But throughout the prequels and especially in Clone Wars, Lucas completely reinterpreted the meaning.

19. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    That sounds well and good if you consider 'the dark side' this edgy and rebellious concept that all the cool kids choose, but not so much when you realize that it's by and large a bunch of homicidal maniacs that would be classified as deranged and/or evil in literally any other setting. 'Dark side' and 'necessity of balance' does not excuse one's actions or the repercussions they have for the greater whole, nor does it make rising against such people any less right and morally obligatory.

Basically 'dark side is necessary' is -and has always been- a heap of steamy, edgy bullshit.

I'm not necessarily advocating the stance of the old Jedi Order, mind. I'm just highlighting my above tl;dr.

20. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Anakin brought balance and fulfilled the prophesy when he offed Palpatine. What in I-III contradicts this?