1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: Fallen Order

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Arthellion, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd need strong convincing to actually buy the game. Maybe I'd try it out if I heard it were at least somewhat enjoyable.

The trailer for the game was better than the actual movie's, but that's not saying much.

2. Mordr4d

Mordr4d Second Year

High Score:
    I'll wait till they reveal some game play footage. The new star wars movies has really dampened my love for the star wars universe.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can't fucking believe that all it takes is for the game to be under the Star Wars IP and suddenly folks are lapping up EA's obvious bs PR spin. FO will come out with seventeen deluxe editions, day 1 DLCs/patches, a shoehorned MP component and "cosmetic" lootboxes. And probably an xp boost like the one in AC: Odyssey.

Oh well. We are all slaves to advertising.

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I mean, I'm willing to accept EA won't blatantly violate false advertising law. It's certainly possible they'll walk it back in future, but all the information we have now is pretty unequivocal on the topic.

Judgement on the game is, and should, be out until we get some actual concrete information on the systems and everything, but it's not somehow wrong to acknowledge that they've claimed there will be no MP and no microtransactions. EA hasn't earned any trust (quite the opposite in fact), so no one should be preordering this game at all, but they've still made the right noises, and it's worth acknowledging that those are, in fact, correct, if only to try and reinforce that idea.

5. ScottPress

High Score:
    @Agayek I'm absolutely certain EA will violate advertising law if they can find a way to get away with it. Or they'll just say "singleplayer, no MTX" today, and put out a small, quiet announcement later that the game will feature this and that.

E3 bullshots are false advertising. Everyone knows it's never "in-game footage". What you see in the trailer is either plain false or the game comes out downgraded from the trailer. Has Ubisoft or EA been taken to court over it? False advertising in gaming has been around for a while.

6. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think most people here recognize EA is bullshit and the chances of this being done right is slim.

But, if the game is everything it’s sold as...then not buying it is arguably supporting EAs continued BS.

If respawn is able to make a great single player game without all EAs bs, then supporting that is a good thing.

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am sure we'll see some deluxe editions. But deluxe editions are not exactly mustache-twirling EA exec evil shenanigans. Pretty much everybody does them for big IPs. Even good devs like CDPR. If you don't want the steelcases/artbooks/figures/stickers/keychains/whatever extra content they're shilling, don't buy it and go with the standard version. Pretty simple.

As for paid DLC day 1 expansions. Again, lots of good companies do these things, as it is a way for them to continue developing and delivering content after they reach the mastering phase of game dev. Free DLC is obviously always preferable from a consumer standpoint, but as someone who would expect to get paid for extra work I've done on a project, I understand why paid day 1 DLC is a thing. While I wouldn't put it past EA to put out a base 10 hour game and then lock the rest behind a dozen different day 1s, I severely doubt Respawn would be OK with that.

They've officially stated no mtx and no multi. It's on record now. I don't implicitly trust that this will be the case because EA is awful and I'll never implicitly trust them again. That said, I suspect it will be. Imagine the sales blowback if they went back on their official word. We'd have a Battlefront boycott all over again, and EA would probably lose the Star Wars IP. We've had rather loud murmuring for awhile that the Disney-EA deal is a rather unhappy marriage, and that Disney basically has an addendum that allows them to pull the license if their contract stipulations are not met.

I imagine it played out like this:

This game started out in 2014 with EAs typical live-service model, but after the financial catastrophe of Battlefront II, EA is suddenly feeling the pressure from Disney. They're scrambling to fix Star Wars so they don't lose it. Respawn came to them and basically said, "Let us switch gears with our game. Let's deviate from the formula and show you how well a single player Star Wars game can sell."

EA shrugged and said, "Fuck it. Fine. Prove it."

If everything turns out the way they're pushing this game, then I agree with Arthellion, not supporting it, or at least not supporting the idea of it, is probably akin to directly walking up to EAs door and yelling "I WANT EVEN MORE OF YOUR LIVE SERVICE GARBAGE, EA. PLS K THANKS."

8. Mestre

Mestre Professor

EA turned into a monster, so that they can use themselves as a villain to be fought on their own advertising!

9. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If we are getting a legit good single-player game with no EA BS mixed in, I agree. EA would definitely use the game being less than amazingly successful to justify the narrative they've been pushing about single-player games being dead and live services being what people/the market wants.

10. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Which is why I'll buy it if it's released without all the usual EA shit. I can't tell anyone else to vote with their wallet but I will. I'm not giving mtx games another dime but I'm happy to splurge some cash on games I'm semi-interested in (sadly Star Wars is now in that category after Battlefront and the horrendous turn the movies took) to do just that.

On the other side, I have no trouble not buying games I'd probably get my moneys worth of entertainment out of. I have several old games I still enjoy and too little time to play them as it is.

11. ScottPress

High Score:
    @KHAAAAAAAN!!

EA will interpret anything consumers do in a way that supports whatever business model it wants. If FO is released without EA's bullshit and people buy it, EA will tell investors that people like EA games and will push for the next batch of live service garbage, and people will buy the live service garbage because they'll think that one game reverses a trend.

I wouldn't trust Andrew Wilson if he offered me a drink in the middle of a desert.

12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That completely flies in the face of everything we know about EA. You yourself have previously made the argument that EA only pays attention to money. And I fully agree.

When the money stops, we have watched them launch committees to find out why the money has stopped. They will ultimately go with whatever business model makes them money. Right now, their live service model isn't making them money, at least not in Star Wars land. Time to try something new.

13. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Thing is though, a blind boycott of all EA games regardless of quality isn't going to send the message that you want. All it'll tell them is that they should instead just give up on single player games entirely since after years of people demanding them, they couldn't be bothered to pay up when EA changed. So instead they'll just shrug and go back out to churning out sports games and fps' every year knowing they'll make billions still.

Because the sad fact is, as long as they have shit like FIFA, EA aren't going to go away any time soon. They might not make the disgusting profits that they want, but boycotting their Star Wars games won't effect their bottom line at all.

14. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Holy shit @ScottPress , we fucking get. EA is cancer and everything they touch turns to shit and they deserve to be taken out the back and shot. We get it. No one disagrees with you. Fucking shut up about it now for fuck's sake.

15. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

All in favor of banning Scott from future EA threads?

16. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just in general, @Jon

17. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

To be perfectly honest, my plan for this game is to ignore it for the next few months, then when it's actually going to come out I'll glance at it again and start to give a shit. And odds are I won't even decide if i want to buy it or not until a few days after it's actually out and people have played it. That way if it's bad I'll ignore it and if it's good then I can buy it within the first week which is soon enough to support it.

18. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I feel like you're not appreciating the efforts of the primo Gamer Justice Warrior.

Whatever will we do without his expert guidance?

19. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Buy games that look fun and then enjoy playing them?

20. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score: