1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Caligula, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Time for a revival of this thread.

I've begun reading the older comics, as well as some of the books, and replaying the games, so my interest in all things Star Wars has been renewed, but until recently I never bothered with the fanfiction aspect of it.

That said, I've read a few, some recommended here in this thread, some on other forums, but can't say I've found much that would really pull me in to keep on reading.

The two fanfics that I do enjoy are:

1. The Timeless Warrior; which is set in an AU, revolving around one of the Jedi initiates that flunks out from the Temple and then sets out into the galaxy. It's not filled with what you might typically expect (no grand adventures or battling some ancient foes of the Republic or anything of the sort), as the setting differs quite a bit and the way the author writes it makes it feel really different form the average SW stuff. The only thing I don't like about this fic is that it's only 5 chapters long and the last update was in October.

2. Embers Burn; this is a SI fanfic, wherein the protagonist becomes a Sith, set in the standard SW universe, in the Empire period, so Palpatine's still kicking about and the SI is not an OP character that can take him face on or anything of the sort. This one has got 34 threadmarks in the thread, not really sure I could call them chapters due to some of them being really short, and the last update was in September.

2. friedmann

friedmann Squib

High Score:
    I think that neither of these were mentioned above: I'd recommend https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11685932/1/Instruments-of-Destruction which isn't very Star Wars-focused (in the sense that the general situation could be in any setting, though the details are Star-Wars related) but it's short and fun, as well as https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10912355/1/Revenge-of-the-Wizard which is a Harry Potter cross-over fic, but the cross-over is (IMO) done "right" (everything seems to form a coherent and more-or-less sensible whole — I don't want to go into details to avoid spoilers).

3. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I like the Instruments of Destruction. The author captured Desperation quite well. A well done 3/5, maybe 3.5. It looses points for super-technical mathgeeking.

4. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

5. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

6. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

That was awful. And incredibly boring.

If we're bringing up dark!Kenobi fics, this one does it far better:

Set It Alight

7. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Oh boy. Anne-Camp. She's a technically good writer that's dragged down by her incessant use of angst and introspection, more often than not dragging out sections that could be better represented on a couple paragraphs over entire chapters.

Will check out, regardless. Her premises are usually good and her writing is technically impressive.

8. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled by all the angst in the Hindsight & Foresight fanfics either.

But this one seems to be keeping it at a more tolerable level for now.

9. zelcore

zelcore Squib

High Score:
    I'm not sure if this has been posted, but one of my favorite star wars fanfics is [The Last Jedi](https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5704904/1/The-Last-Jedi) by [Darth Marrs](https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1229909/Darth-Marrs)

Summary: There are no Jedi; no Sith. There are Abnormals—persons born with a midi-chlorian count proscribed at a dangerous level by the Galactic Empire. Those persons are euthanized immediately upon discovery. That is, until they come for the son of the last Jedi.

Rated: Fiction T - English - Sci-Fi/Fantasy - Chapters: 46 - Words: 184,903 - Reviews: 1,119 - Favs: 790 - Follows: 378 - Updated: Mar 24, 2011 - Published: Jan 30, 2010 - Status: Complete

The writing could probably use some work in some parts, and there are parts where he is obviously way overpowered, but I think its a different unique fanfic. There is only one jedi/sith in the whole galaxy and he must attempt to raise a revolution so that he can revive the order and make it anew.

10. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

The moment I saw Darth Marrs I decided to pass.

11. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I remember reading this a long time ago, so do take my review with a grain of salt. I remember I lot of telling and unnecessary angst and drama. A couple of weak plot development but also a couple of unexpected turn and original ideas. All in all, not a bad fic for the time it was posted, but it's nothing extraordinary either.

12. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Literally Darth Marrs in a nutshell.

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I just checked out Darth Marrs' profile and saw he wrote yet another Star Wars fanfic.

This one, however, is a crossover with Harry Potter.

The Katarn Side

Strangely lacking in unnecessary angst or drama from what I've read thus far.

Except that one Hermione chapter. What was the fucking point?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  14. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

It also has Katarn kicking every wizard in the head. From what I've read so far, it seems it's going to be a jedi are better than wizard wank. Admittedly, I haven't read far yet.

15. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

To be fair, we're talking about a century old Kyle Katarn, he's not exactly the average Jedi.

16. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm not opposed to the idea of Katarn being better than order members. However, said order members are veteran of a guerilla warfare (it's been what, six years, but still) and are just coming in one by one and getting pick off without a thought. I would have like some show of superiority from the jedi but with some actual conflict instead of a stomp. Hell, Dumbledore was almost pissing his pants when Katarn told him he would kick him in the head...

17. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

The Last Jedi was a pretty fun read. Not particularly good, but I enjoyed going through it.

I think half of it was just waiting for some horrendous gangrape or other over the top disgusting plot device and being shocked when I got to the end.

18. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anyone found any Sith!Jar-Jar fics yet? I figured that after the theory doing the rounds someone would have written a fic on it.

19. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Jesus Christ please let this meme die I beg you.

20. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Misa has ultimate mui mui powa!