1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: Rogue One

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Red Aviary, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

So the movie is out today and I just caught a midnight showing. In my eyes it is a solid Star Wars movie that should entertain any fan of the franchise (or those simply looking for some fun). While the cast did a good job I felt like the one from 7, especially in regards to the MC, was better (or maybe they just had better roles?). A more personal nitpick would be the continued inconsistency when portraying Hyperdrive/distance since every planet seems to be within a minutes reach with each other (though I found it easier to ignore here than I did in 7). Still, all in all it is a solid movie with a satisfying ending that is really well done and may even surprise some.

2. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

So does Rouge One end in teaser for a sequel or does it seem like it's a stand alone side story?

3. Tarquinn

Tarquinn Second Year DLP Supporter

IT ends 5min before A New Hope

9/10 Great film, a lot of fun, better the The force awakens

4. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They did a lot of things right with this film. All the characters feel fun and interesting though Jin's actress kind of made her a dick. Simply because she grinds her teeth for half the shots in the film.

The CGI for Leia and Taking was a mixture of impressive and creepy. You'd never notice if the camera didn't linger that half second too long.

The ending was predictable and I don't think anyone cared. Seemed like them getting blown up was a nice little way to wrap things up.

I'd say 4/5. I enjoyed it around the same as TFA.

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

The CGI characters took me right out of the movie. I couldn't not notice them, which was a huge disappointment. Clearly Lucasfilm needs to hire whoever did Kingsglaive.

6. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Everyone dies, so no.

---------- Post automerged at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was at 21:30 ----------

Really?

I had assumed Tarkin was played by a lookalike until my friend told me otherwise.

---------- Post automerged at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

According to Wookiepedia Leia was played by a lookalike.

7. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Must have been a pretty shitty lookalike seeing as her entire face is rendered in cgi.

EDIT: Also, K-2SO is the series' best droid.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  8. douter

douter Sixth Year

High Score:
    Just saw the movie (in gold class - so nice) and really enjoyed it as a side story in the star wars universe. Everything looked amazing and felt amazing - the only times I was taken out of the immersion was when the camera would linger a bit to long on Tarkin's face as well as Vader's voice was a bit off (but that is really nitpicking).

I think they did a really good job of showing the rebels and how outclassed they are against the empire, their struggle felt very real.

I probably enjoyed this a bit more than Episode VI, I think mainly because a bit more down to earth - there was no crazy outlandish uses of the force, there was a more insight into the Alliance as well as empire. Plus seeing stormtroopers again was super cool.

9. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

Saw the premiere today and I have to say, it is a very good movie. Altough the start was rather weak, too many characters and places and get switched constantly was very irretating. But once they have them all toghter it becomes truely great.
    Espcially the final battle was really good and that last shot of Jyn and Andor was downright beautiful.
    K2 was one of the highlights for sure, every line was spot on and brought laugther from the entire audience, although the funniest line was the blind dude (whoms name i forgot), his I am blind line... gold.

Dat ending tho. It felt so powerful how they killed of the entire cast. Seriously I was never that hooked by the death of all the character. How each of them got their own way to die and yet they all felt convincing. Jyn and Andor standing at the water seeing the explosion coming their way, so damn good.

All in all it is a awsome movie and I would rank it slightly below The force awakens as a Star wars movie, but on pair or maybe even better as a stand alone. What leaves to say is, I am one with the force, the force is with me.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not reading spoilers for now. I'm seeing it Saturday. Pretty pumped.

11. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

I have to agree in regards to the cgi Tarkin, probably the weakest part of the film. Really enjoyed it overall though, I actually enjoyed it more than 7 I feel. That Vader fight was boss.

12. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Far better than I expected. I have taken a very strong dislike to "The Force Awakens", (because of reasons I'm too tired to link now), but Rogue One is a very different movie -you'll notice that right at the start.
    And still it's, to me, much more Star Wars than TFA could ever hope to be. And, well, it doesn't try to copy any other better movies, that's always a huge plus.
    I have to admit, I actually didn't notice Tarkin being CGI that much and it didn't disturb me at all - in fact, I think they've done a really good job with it.
    Apart from that, it is a bit strange that the most tragic moment in the film was
    when the roboter died, at least to me. He actually was the most sympathy-evoking (I guess that's not an allowed word construction, but whatever) character.
    The only thing that did really annoy me was the utterly
    ridiculous decision of Saw Gererra to stay on that planet when everything around him exploded. I mean, that guy is an extremist who fights the Imperium with everything he's got, even has his forces attack the imperium a few hours ago - and then just goes "Nah, fuck you, don't want anymore"?!
    That was pretty stupid; apart from the fact that he could've been a very interesting character (still the most interesting one in my book, though that isn't saying much; there wasn't much characterisation to be seen in Rogue One), it's an obvious plot device to get Jyn to be the only one who knows the message. Ah well. The first half of the film in general felt a bit jumpy and ... how to say ... constructed, maybe?
    Let's return to the positives: Rebel dynamics are great. Vader is awesome. The action is awesome. The second half of the film is pure Star Wars (in my opinion).
    So, go see it, if you haven't already. 4.5/5

13. silentclock

silentclock Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Loved the movie. Love Felicity Jones. I prefer it to Force Awakens, and I like Force Awakens.

The ending was pitch perfect in my opinion. Unquestionably sad, but deeply meaningful with just a touch of sweetness. They more or less had to kill off all of Rogue One since none of them appear in New Hope. I was kind of anticipating it, but it hurts my heart to see Felicity blown to bits.

Also, watching Vader cut/Force his way through a squadron of fighters like it was nothing was pretty great.

Minus one terribad pun, it's definitely worth watching if you haven't already.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  14. mort

mort Groundskeeper

That scene when Vader is first introduced and the Imperial March plays had me jizzing in my pants (and the pun was awesome, okay).

Also Vader's battle at the end when he lights up that lightsaber and annihilates everybody was pretty sweet too.

All in all I liked it, more than TFA even, so I'd give it a solid 4/5. And yes, K-2SO is the best droid in the franchise.

15. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Really liked it.

It was basically a war film in the SW universe and it worked amazingly well.

Vader being basically a force of nature is exactly how he should be to anyone who isn't a Force user. Though the best presentation of it remains Vader Down from comics.

CGI faces are getting better and better, but still a little off from what they should be. It's probably a good question how they will be used once they're perfected. How long before we start getting new films starring Marilyn Monroe or James Dean? Who will get a credit for a role like this?

16. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I just got back and really liked it. I thought it was actually better than episode VII mostly do to the fact that it wasn't a rehash of the other movies.

17. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Saw it. I liked it, but enough to go see it as many times as I saw Force Awakens? No.

My main beef with this one was all the attempts to hit the typical gritty war film tropes while simultaneously remaining as ungritty as possible in the delivery.
    Like... when Alan Tudyk's sidekick robot char has the most meaningful and brutal death scene, you probably need to rethink the way you build dramatic tension.

That said, I liked the characters in general. I loved the dogfights and the battles. I loved everything Vader, including the epic pun (because as everyone knows, once you're a father, you tell bad dad jokes, no exceptions).

The best thing in the entire movie was the cameo of the "we're wanted men" duo.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  19. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Overall, I liked it. It had a few problems, especially in the beginning, but I think it was a pretty darn good stand-alone film.

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about all the callbacks to other Star Wars things. You have stuff from the Original Trilogy (a rebel pilot or three that looked suspiciously like rebel pilots from A New Hope), the Prequels (at least two actors from Revenge of the Sith), even the Clone Wars cartoon (Forest Whitaker's character). And I have no doubt there was a ton of stuff I simply didn't notice or recognize. Was it a blatant attempt at Nostalgia, or great little bonuses for the audience?

20. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

They used old footage of the pilots. :)