1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Innomine, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

For anyone that is interested, they have the "first video documentary, complete with new concepts, new screenshots, and real-time pre-production gameplay video" up now.

http://www.swtor.com/media/vidcasts/viddoc001?sourceid=ea2830

Pretty interesting... Looks like the game could lag like a motherfucker though.

2. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Le sigh, I was really hoping this would suck so I could resist getting it, but damn it all that actually looks really fun, my bank account is crying already.

3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Augh, no matter now much I want KOTOR 3, any KOTOR game is too good for me to not buy.

So I'll be getting this.

4. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

5. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well it depends on how well they pull off this personal storyline stuff, from what it sounds like to me play style and "choices" you make in the game actually have a fucking impact and there are options on how you do various missions unlike 99.9% of all other MMO's so if its done well then Im going Jedi just so I can fall and go batshit crazy.

6. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

If they don't put in Smuggler, they aren't getting my money.

Ewok Smuggler (With a wookiee companion character)

7. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

Sigh. MMO.

I have the feeling that this is going to fail if they don't put a lot of effort into making the jedi/sith classes a little less powerful then in games like KOTOR. Can't have them shooting lightning out of their hands and killing every one in one hit.

8. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Unfortunately that's exactly what they show in the video preview - a bunch of jedi running around with support characters Sith Lightninging the world.

The story thing sounds very cool - I've only ever played an MMO up to max level and then always quit, because endgame's not my thing. Looks so far like they're going to leave that to WoW and focus on replayability for each class/race being totally different. Sounds kinda neat, I'll have to wait to see it.

9. Dr. Strange Lulz

I'm really hoping they keep Haden Blackman the fuck away from this game. He fucked up SWG and then proceeded to fuck up the Force Unleashed. Lucas Arts really needs to fire that stupid prick.

10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Force Unleashed wasn't bad at all. Could of been a lot better, the apprentice got gushy in the middle, but he was awesome in the first half. Good game for what it was.

11. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Oh. Fuck. Yeah.

Well, we know the lightsaber combat looks ace, so I guess the question now is how blasters are handled. If it's just like spellcasting in shitty MMO's (ala City of Heroes) then I'll be disappointed.

Midknight: Sign me up for the DLP Intergalactic Legions :awesome

12. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

lol that was him? With SWFU. That could have been the best game ever, mushiness aside.Fire him! For daring to release dlc one month after the game was out!

13. Dr. Strange Lulz

Unfortunately you're pretty much the only one who thinks that. Glitches, bugs, royally bad gameplay...

Basically Haden Blackman has a great knowledge of Star Wars lore, but when it comes to actually putting it into a game he sucks my asshole. In SWG the NGE and CU were both his ideas, and you know what? It caused the greatest migration in videogame history. More than HALF of the SWG players either went to WoW or stopped playing entirely.

He ruined my galaxies.

Everything that man touches is doomed to die.

And I hate him.

14. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The only bug I had was when the screen went black. I cleared out the hard drive's cache for the game and was good to go. I didn't see game stopping bugs every few minutes like so many people claim.

The story could of been better by a lot, sure, but it wasn't a total piece of shit either. galaxies I never bothered with, seemed epic fail from the word go.

15. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

The many failings of Hayden frackman

I downloaded a patch quite early so I also don't have any bug complaints. What I do complain about is the fucking NINE levels of gameplay that a toddler could finish in a day. And the fact that someone raised by Vader ( a James Earl Jones Vader not a Hayden Christensen mind you) can become a total wimp after a just few missions.Theres no transition just a few emo close ups. And the Emperor's voice kept fluctuating between ' awesome' and 'fucking retarded' I swear he sounds like the Godfather sometimes.

16. Garrus

Garrus Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I really didn't like Force unleashed. I bought thinking it would be awesome but found it singularly unimpressive. The most fun I had was when you got to play as Vader in the beginning. After that it got really repetitive.

Anyways I hope the MMO is good. I hope they release it for 360 and go the way of Guild Wars and don't force subscription fees on you. I refuse to pay 50 bucks for a game and then pay 15 dollars a month after just to play.

17. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

For me SWFU had the best physics engine of all star wars games... and it was utterly wasted.Speaking of which, I hope the MMO uses it. Its the best physics engine yet and boy if it was ever coupled with the Radiant AI...

18. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

Doubt that it will. Since the next game is going to be a MMO I doubt that they would put a high end physics engine in the game. While that would be sweet, they also want to make it so that as many people can play without having to go and upgrade their computer.

19. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Force unleashed was a good game. Not great, but it was alright. I didn't notice any bugs or anything like that. I'm looking forward to Old Republic though, my hopes are high.

20. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

The biggest problem for me with force unleashed is they had a a great physics engine but shitty AI. The enemies did one of two things

A. Stood there and shot at you

or

B. Ran up and attacked you

That is the kind of AI they could program into a PS1 game.