1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Innomine, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

One of the reasons I hated it so much was because of all the wasted potential

2. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Can't edit so i'll put it this way , pay 60 dollars for a game and finish it thinking you'll at least get some replay bonus for you 7 dollars per level then get shocked to find out all you get are some lightsaber crystals and dumbass custumes

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Replay value of games can't even be considered anymore to be honest, unless it's got good multiplayer, most companies make em fucking 10-20 hours long, and you never touch the game again.

EA started that shit, and sadly it's spread. Not justifing it, just saying don't be surprised.

4. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Seriously, if they make any class as good as Jedi, it goes against canon. and if they don't, no one will play em. Sorry, I think this is going to fail.

5. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It won't fail.

Idiot with a lightsaber on screen isn't the same as a man sniping him. Sure the 'force' is meant to be there, but how will they recreate that? Especially if it's a MMO.

If it's as good as the hype makes it out to be, I'll bite. :D

6. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

I'm a little worried about the character models, actually. Not only the whole spandex thing, but have you guys seen the girl jedi? She looks like a barbie doll--completely fucked up physique and a face like a ghoul. I hope they do some tweaking on that.

On the other hand, the environments look really nice; I like the direction they took in hand painting all the textures.

7. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

According to them it's "stylized realism" because every game lately is starting to look too realistic, so they decided to go with something different. I'm not a big fan of it, but if it works...

8. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Heh, I guess no one ever told them that 'stylized' and 'attractive' can, in fact, be the same thing. Like, look at the Incredibles, for instance. Not in any way realistic figures, but very kinetically appealing. As long as they move in a quasi-natural way, and the curves are in the right place, it doesn't need to have every muscle be anatomically correct.

D'you think anybody will choose smuggler over jedi? Methinks not...

Also, i was kind of wondering, you know how there's supposed to be support type characters? If they have a limited number of these guys, what's to stop everyone from running around with the same sidekick?

9. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Ahaha, you have no idea how wrong you are.

Contrary to their title, Smugglers are the most loyal group of assholes you'll ever meet. To a smuggler all other classes are irrelevant, apart from the people making our weapons and ships (we like them)

Through all of SWG's bullshit, Smugglers stayed Smugglers. Sure when they gave us the opportunity to try Jedi we tested it out for a day or two, but almost everybody went back to Smuggler.

The thing with Smugglers in galaxies was, they tended to give us these relatively useless skills like Last Ditch and a bunch of snares, but we always found a way to exploit them and make Smuggler the shit.

The less health you had, the more damage Last Ditch did (hence the name)

I combined Smuggler with Bounty Hunter when the Combat Upgrade hit and we had more points to put in classes. I remember having a Jedi bounty in Theed worth a ton of credits, so I caught up to him while he was talking to his friends and showing off his 1337 jedi skillz. I slapped a Stormtrooper which results in an instant incap by dropping my health to zero. The moment my 30 seconds of incap were over and my health rose to 1 I fired Last Ditch at the Jedi and incapped him, knocking his ass flat.

Then I calmly walked over and killed him without a trouble in the world.

Claimed my bounty, and bought me a new ship.

Smuggler, always.

10. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

The first playable class for this game has been reveled.

The following link has a couple of screen shots and 3 second video teasers up.
    http://www.swtor.com/info/classes/bounty-hunter

And for those that might care, they have also given a brief look Hutta, one of the playable worlds...
    http://www.swtor.com/info/story/hutta

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  11. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

mmmmh star wars :p

Anyway, i wonder why everybody whines so much about how bad this is going to be. I still remember when everybody said Blizzard should give up WoW and instead focus on SC 2, but look how far they got.

Frankly i've yet to be disappointed with a Bioware game, so far they've always managed to come out on top, so let's give them some credit shall we?

And yes, i know that the balancing will most likely be pretty horrible at the start, but that is a given in almost any MMO, even the best of them require frequent balance patches to keep the classes on a somewhat even keel.
    Compared to "how to balance the Warlock who should be able to destroy a city with one spell to the soldier with his single sword" it shouldn't be that hard to balance a jedi (though it will probably hit the canon fanboys right where it hurts, but i'd rather have a cool game with weak jedis than a bad game with an uber class)

12. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Newest class has been revealed the Trooper. Seems to be a ranged tank-ish kind of class. I want my Smuggler.

13. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

From http://www.swtor.com/info/faq#347

You do know what this means right?

[​IMG]

"Hello Meatbags..."

14. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

15. Koalas

High Score:
    New video log is up. From the looks of it, Smugglers might be gunning for the Republic.

16. RedNehi

RedNehi DA Member

Just watched Bioware/LucasArts speech at EA's conference. They basically just promised lots of unique voices and different stories for the different classes.

The cinematic trailer was straight up sexy.

Link

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  17. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Have they announced a price yet?

I could do something like Guild Wars(one time up front fee, so long as it is reasonable), but I doubt I'll do another $15/month game anytime soon...

Speaking of Guild Wars... anyone still play?

18. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Oh fuck me, that was pure sex.

Lucas Arts must have spent more on that one trailer than they did on the first trilogy.

Edit: Huh, the main bad guy looks like the geezers from Quake.

Also the generic Sith look like Death Eaters.

Infinitely cooler of course.

Edit2: But they seemed to have Revan masks on from Kotor.

Edit3: Oh man, fuck you kalas.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  19. Koalas

High Score:
    I'm waiting for the sequel.

EDIT: That trailer was damn sexy. Though was I mistaken seeing a ton of Revan-esque masks?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  20. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That...that was sexy on a level I didnt Lucas was still capable of, holy fuck I can see tons of my time vanishing in front of my eyes. I was excited before but daaaaaaamn.