1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Innomine, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Oh fuck yes. Well I can safely say that the two video logs set the setting for SW:TOR. Light side of the galaxy and the dark side. Yay. XD

2. Torak

Torak Death Eater

Holy shit that trailer got me giggling like an fangirl.:awesome

3. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  4. Torak

Torak Death Eater

5. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Holy God. That was one of the most impressive trailers ever.

I don't get why the Jedi keep their gunmen as a security in the temple though. They are absolutely useless against anything with a lightsaber.

6. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Probably weren't expecting Sith to show up.

And I agree. That trailer is so epic. Better combat than any of the movies :p

7. Koalas

High Score:
  8. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Mmm just because the sith use lightsabers doesnt mean all sith forces use lightsabers. Seen by the infiltrator with a jetpack and the twilek(however the fuck you spell that).

9. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

Well, that trailer was PURE AWESOME! Um... Sorry for caps :)

10. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Admittedly the trailer looks cool...

But come on guys, its a CG trailer. I mean, I know a few months ago I was optimistically saying that I think this game has great potential, and I still do, but this trailer doesn't really change much, or say much about the game.

I mean, I thought the CG trailer for LOTRO was cool for chrissakes!

I'll have to see a trailer with some decent looking gameplay footage before I start to seriously get excited. Meanwhile I'm hoping The Agency will be out soon.

11. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

12. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOvbv-LkK6w&feature=fvw

Bleh, I really want them to cover the Jedi and Siths abilities on the main site already, Smugglers duck and cover is pretty awesome though.

13. Mr Strike

Mr Strike Epic Awesomeness DLP Supporter

Woo, another worthless MMO-RPG...

Combining the clunky combat of KoTOR with forced online contact with fuckwits everywhere. Yeah, I'll be racing to buy this one.

14. Koalas

High Score:
  15. eXcalite

eXcalite Seventh Year

Trailer looks pretty awesome. Whos that sith by the way, he looks like Vader without the top half of his headgear? Ive played quite a few Star Wars games and was never disappointed but I'm pretty useless when it comes to lore.

16. bylfolx

bylfolx Backtraced

Hmmm....I'm torn on the release of it. Like most here I loved KOTOR I and had some doubts on KOTOR II. I'm a WOW player and love the game, even willing to pay the 15 dollars a month.

I love Star Wars, but am leery of the Expanded Universe since I see it has the raping of a good movie.

As for Bioware NOT making it a good game?

Well let's look at their roster of bad games. 0.

KOTOR 2 is questionable, but definitely not a bad game.

Now let us look at Bioware's successful games. KOTOR I. Mass Effect. Jade Empire. Baldur's Gate I and II. All brilliant.

After a decade of horrible games Bioware gave the Sonic franshise a decent game.

If Bioware can make a good Sonic game, they make any game good.

So the game will be good. Gameplay and lore will be topnotch. And since it's Star Wars it will sell really well when it first comes out. The problem? Will it have the staying power of WOW or Everquest I? Conan and Warhammer both are failing due to balance issues.

I think that is where Bioware will drop the ball. Yeah, the experience of playing it will be awesome in PVE...but when you go into PVP its an entirely different story. WOW has been at it for years now and they're still trying to get it right.

--byl, out.

17. Koalas

High Score:
    Bioware did not make KOTOR 2. And as Mythic and Bioware are basically being merged SW:TOR will be able to benefit from Conan's and Warhammer's experiences.

:confused:

18. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Bioware didn't develop KOTOR 2...

...but your point is still valid...

----

Somewhat off topic, I am starting a new run through on KOTOR. Since Silveredge9 released his Brotherhood of Shadows: Solomon's Revenge (over 600 mb mod), I have been wanting to give the game another spin.

Just as a fyi to anyone that might still play...

KOTOR will not work on the current release nvidia (18X.XX) graphic drivers. I am lucky to get 5 minutes into the game before I start crashing like crazy.

I am rolling all the way back to Omegadrivers last release, I remember getting a pretty good gaming experience with those installed

---

Sorry for the thread-jack.

19. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

There is an easy solution to this problem. Leave pvp out of it. From what I can tell, most MMO's are made for PvE and tack PvP on as an afterthought. City of Franchise did this. WoW did it. Guildwars was made from the ground up with PvP in mind, and it is the only MMO Ive played where PvP works.

20. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

But PVE is boring, even if a company like Blizzard can deliver it at a very regular rate. I don't expect BioWare to do any better.

HK-47 reappearing would be awesome ... but if all he ends up being is a brief cameo or boss fight, why should I care? It'll be the same as WOW, characters like Arthas and Kael are reduced to nothing more than spawn points for phat loot or bobble heads that give you quests. It's not exactly appealing, and you know it will run into the same problems the previous SW MMO did.

And look at the name? Star Wars. The game has to be pvp-focused, but it has to be done right, otherwise, the game will be a flop like Conan or 40k (which, as I've heard from others, are just wow clones; pve focused games with underdeveloped pvp).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009