1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Steam Hacked

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by yak, Nov 11, 2011.

1. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Steam's customer database was recently compromised. Here's the statement from Valve:

And links to news sources, who're all analysing and making speculations based on the above statement, because there's little other info available right now. The story is still breaking.

Kotaku - Steam Hacked, Valve Investigating Possible Credit Card Theft
    Slashdot - Valve Announces Massive Steam Server Intrusion
    Hardware Canucks - Breaking: Valve Announces Massive Steam Server Intrusion
    Gamasutra - Steam Accounts Hacked, Credit Card Info Obtained
    Shack News - Steam hack goes beyond forums, Valve reveals
    ars technica - Valve confirms Steam hack: credit cards, personal info may be stolen
    Giant Bomb - Valve Admits Steam Intrusion, No Current Evidence of Fraud

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

At least they have the guts to admit to the mistake and warn users, unlike some other companies *cough* Sony *cough*.

3. yak

The tl;dr right now, is that no one knows how worried we should be about this.

It may be anywhere on the scale from "asshole script kiddies defaced a forum, gained access to the server with the database, but never copied it because they didn't know what they had", to "cancel your credit cards, this is a hack by professional criminals".

I'm not sure which would concern me the most.

4. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Now now, the PSN was simply undergoing "extended maintenance"

One should always watch their credit card statement.

Supposedly there's no evidence that steam accounts were compromised at the moment.

I'd still change my passwords to the account, forums and such.

5. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

I've never been happier that I use PayPal instead of a credit card, even if these are professional criminals they'd never be able to brute force the second password that they would need.

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah... I barely ever use steam, so I have no idea how vulnerable my cc info is. Guess we'll find out soon.

7. yak

Any peeps knowledgeable in computer security around?

Having the passwords hashed and salted means that our account passwords should be safe, right? If someone wants to make use of the entire database before they die of old age, they'd be using rainbow tables, which salting should prevent. That's my very basic understanding of the theory. Does it work that way in the real world?

The encrypted creditcard info has me worried though. Have many encrypted credit card databases been cracked before? I assume there's some kind of industry standard for encrypting credit card details which Steam was hopefully following?

On a personal note, while my Steam Forum and Steam accounts have different user names, I just realised that they shared the same password. I quickly fixed that. They wouldn't have got much use out of the Steam account anyway, because I've got "Steam Guard Account Security" turned on [go to Steam settings to find it].

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Handy that I got a new card a few weeks ago and haven't added it to Steam yet.

Changed my password anyway, just in case.

10. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

QFMFT

Anyways, I always use VCC to buy games and don't have a forum account. So I am safe I guess.

11. Jas

Jas Fourth Year

Hmmm this is interesting. I have never added an actual credit card to my account, preferring to just manually enter it when I want to purchase something in a usually futile attempt to curb my steam splurges. Would this then mean my credit card info would not have been stored on the steam servers?

12. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Having worked with credit card encryption in the past, it is usually done through keeping the first four and last four digits intact while scrambling the rest in the primary database (which, from the sounds of the Steam release, is what got hacked), while in a secondary database utilized for card number storage, the full, unencrypted values are kept. If Steam is using SQL to pass number references, you can easily correlate the pieces in the primary database to the true values in the secondary database through a reasonably well-written SQL query, but the query will also involve passing other chunks of data to precisely verify numbers.

Granted, this might not entirely be how Steam handles their transactions, but from the companies I've worked at, it seems fairly standard. So while I'd reassure you that your data is probably safe, I'd still wait for more data to be absolutely certain.

Nae
  13. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

So, having never checked that little 'save card info for easier future checkouts' box, am I at just as much risk?

I don't use paypal. Fuck JPMC.

14. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

In other words... watch your credit card statements. Just in case.

15. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

lol So glad I don't have a CC. Unlucky pricks.

16. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

AFAIK they would have to create their own rainbow tables, which could take years, if they manage it at all. So yeah, the passwords should be save, but I changed mine anyway.

I hope that those attacks will stop now. I mean really, if they want money they should go work for it, not steal it from game services.

17. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    For the past few days, I haven't been able to open the steam client on this computer. I wonder if this is connected.

18. yak

Is this the computer that you usually use to play your Steam games? If it isn't, then check whatever email address is associated with your Steam account. You may have "Steam Guard Account Security" turned on, which prevents you from using Steam on an unfamiliar computer until you get an access code which Steam will email you automatically.

If it is your usual computer, then maybe something has become corrupted. Exit Steam. Rename the "ClientRegistry.blob" file to "ClientRegistry.blob.old". Restart Steam. This will force Steam to ask for your login details and is generally a cure all for many Steam problems.

19. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Kang has £0.54 in his account. Ahahaha jokes on you!

20. potter

potter Raptured to Hell

And that's why I use a virtual online credit card that I fund with a debit card. The balance on my virtual online credit card is zero, so nothing to fear for me. It can't be used if it has zero balance.