1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Stellaris

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by BioPlague, May 1, 2016.

1. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Paradox is releasing its latest version of crack in the form of Stellaris on May 9. I assume the usual suspects that enjoyed Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis IV and Hearts of Iron III will equally enjoy what looks to be a mish-mash of all the best features from those games (although it does appear EUIV is the most comparable).

Here's a link to the developer diaries for the game. Unlike the aforementioned titles (and Victoria, which I haven't played), Stellaris is the first title that comes the closest to a symmetrical start for the AI and the player. I say closest as there are still Fallen Empires (link to their developer diary here), advanced space civilizations that have had their wars and struggles but are now stagnant.

Stellaris is a 4X Grand Strategy. The early game will be about research and colonization, with the mid and late game transitioning into familiar territory for those familiar with Paradox titles. Some of the neatest aspects of gameplay (to me) are the end game disasters that will crop up, giving players something to do besides the endless conquering/blobbing that plagues 4X (and even Paradox) games. Creatures from another dimension filtering into your universe after researching too far; AI research going too far and Skynetting the universe; invaders from the edge of the galaxy and so on and so forth.

I intend to play as a science directorate my first go around. I haven't quite thought of the traits I want, but I imagine I will go with a pacifist and materialist ethos, uncertain as to which I will be fanatical in (or if I can spend another point on a third trait since we have three).

I will be playing as the fox dudes:
    [​IMG]

Anyone else looking forward to Stellaris? There are a few videos up about it on youtube if you want to get an idea of the gameplay so far, although the people playing it are a bit annoying (way too much roleplaying).

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am quite tentatively looking forward to this game. 4X Games for me have been largely hit and miss, Civ 5 for example, I've spent many many hours playing the first half of the game, only to get sick of the endless management with little change due to the overwhelming advantage I end up getting after winning the early game.

Endless Space was quite fun, and I played that for a while.

I've always been a big fan of Sci Fi stuff, and I have high hopes for this, especially due to the inclusion of end game disasters that you mention. I'll definitely be playing this, I just hope it can keep my attention.

3. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Definitely playing this the moment it comes out for me. Loved EU4, really enjoyed CK2 (though not as much as EU, too much micromanagement of people), think Stellaris is gonna be great.

4. BioPlague

Same feeling. And I really liked Endless Space, but there was something that was missing (besides an end game goal). The universe pretended to have depth... there were hints of forerunners, certain planets had unique structures that were made long ago and so on and so forth but it was very superficial.

What it needed was what Stellaris is offering:
    [​IMG]
    Events!

Having played Crusader Kings 2 for over a hundred hours, I know this will kind of be critical in determining the replayability of the game. CK2's event chains become pretty repetitive, so I'm hoping the detail and volume of them have been improved for this game. Nevermind all the references to so many different types of Scifi novels, games and movies.

Fallen Empires have ringworlds (with Halo like properties), clone armies and clone uprisings are a potential, divergent species that have altered their genetic makeup are a possibility, enslaving whole races is possible, eradicating whole races is possible... ugh! I want this game to get here!

5. JErosion

JErosion DA Member

I took the plunge and preordered Stellaris, Nova edition here I come. In the mean time I've been playing a few casual rounds of Endless Space to get my spacefaring number crunching mojo on.

6. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

The first time I heard about this game, my thoughts were "Can I play as the Imperium of Man?" And, yes I can :D I still don't know if we can wage wars with the goal of exterminaiting another race (i.e. filthy heretical xeno scum), but I'm pretty sure that this will be one of the first things moded in.

For the God-Emperor and Holy Terra :p

7. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

This is the game that my soul has been lacking for years. I've had to resort to replaying Sins of a Solar Empire (which is still great) to get my spacefaring fix. Civ: BE just isn't enough of what I want.

8. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

I'm a huge sucker for sci-fi 4x games, whether its Alpha Centauri, a modded version of Civ IV, or even Aurora. First game in a long time that I've pre-ordered and felt good about doing so.

Just hope it lives up to the dream.

9. Jaska

Jaska Third Year

I haven't yet preordered but I most likely will as there is no chance that I won't play this game. Been following Stellaris since announcement and it looks to be an amazing game. Most likely going to play as a fanatic militarist, xenophobe, military dictatorship for my first game. I have some complaints about game mechanics from what I've seen but they're minor and will most likely be patched and fixed with dlc.

10. BioPlague

What sort of game mechanics, Jaska? The only thing that seems a bit lacking are ground battles to me but I don't know that I want ground battles to be more intense or displayed.

As to modding in, I've already seen huge threads for Star Wars, Star Trek, and the WH40K universe. If any of them come half as close to the depth of the GOT mod for C2K, this game will be worth the $40 bucks. I have been waiting for a Star Wars game like this. The closest I've gotten is Empire at War and it is so lacking.

11. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This game looks awesome. It reminds me of Crisis of the Confederation, which is a mod for CK2 - I'd been thinking that a fully-funded game of that would be fantastic... and lo and behold.

I'll definitely have to give this a go. I used to love space exploration games, but I haven't played one in a long time (not since spore).

12. Jaska

Jaska Third Year

Well my few complaints are aimed mostly at the simplistic federation mechanic ( which will most likely be one of the first to receive a dlc), no complex trade mechanics (not a big deal in the end; just wish it were more like eu4) and no map modes which the developers have already stated will most likely be in the early patches due to the popular demand. These are very minor complaints and is just nitpicking at this point.

For anyone interested, Paradox will be having a multiplayer stream on tuesday and wednesday this week. They will be hosted late-morning and late-afternoon (UK time), no set time yet.

13. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

This seems to be their aim ever since HOI3, Victoria 2, etc. All the UI's started being replaced by EU's style.

I'll definitely play this but I'm concerned because HOI3 was a mess.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been pretty excited about this game for a while but unfortunately won't be getting it immediately on release. I have exams in 2 weeks and can't really spare the time.

Once it's been out for a while DLP should definitely try to get a multiplayer game going though.

And yeah, it's easy to see how much DLC they could make for this. Personally I hope they'll flesh out the economy/resources/trade system a lot more in future updates.

15. Anarchy

I've never actually played a 4x game on multiplayer, though I did once try to get a CK2 game together on IRC, but no one went for it since (apparantly) you can't save-scum and use console commands in MP. So, I'm still not really sure how MP works in these sort of games, but I would definitely be up for it after I get some hours under my belt (I will be getting it on release).

16. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

So one of the important lessons that we've learned from the 22 player MP stream is that making a fallen empire your rival early on is a Bad Idea.

17. Alindrome

Lol. What's this stream?

Also, has anyone else been watching the adventures of the Blorg?

Edit: found it. It's on the same channel as the one I linked, called 'Stellaris Multiplayer Event'

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  18. Anarchy

Yup. I've been watching an episode or two per day. The guy's random grey patch in his beard really tilts me for some reason.

19. Alindrome

Pssh. If I had a beard, I'd want a cool white stripe in it too.

20. BioPlague

Yeah, dunno what he was thinking since he's been following the game I imagine (it's Arumba, right?). Probably just being a troll. And when you open up the diplo screen, it shows FE's as overwhelming in comparison to your power. I imagine that's how it is until you hit the mid or late game.