1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Summer 2016 Anime Season

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Pure Infinity, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Watching Berserk 2016 is like being forced to watch your girlfriend get raped by your best friend. I've been trying to cut my own arm off for the past month now, but my sword broke, and I've yet to encounter a skull knight. Please send help.

2. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

And so we come to the catharsis of Subaru's life. Ship Rem OTP!!

3. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Days has managed to actually trigger me, it's fucking horrendous and I was vaguely excited at the prospect of a Soccer anime.

Giant Killing remains the only decently done one.

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As a fan of the 'soccer', how'd it trigger you?

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Excuse you, but it seems you are forgetting the stark realism and sheer force of this and the grounded awesomeness of this.

6. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Apart from that annoying elf and the CGI, which can look quite crummy (but which I got used to by now), I like Berserk. I only have the movies as a basis, so I can't speak for the veracity of the show as it relates to the manga, but right now I mostly watch for the depravities. I can't help but find the "nope!" horse hilarious. Just as it is equally impossible for me to not bust a gut when the inquisitor is spoken by the voice actor for Takamura from Hajime no Ippo, Kiritsugo from Fate, etc.

I guess accepting the flaws is easier for me since I've only a rudimentary grasp on the franchise.

7. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Same. The CGI is offputting and I havent read the manga but I did watch the original series and I like it. Once you get over the CGI I find it meets my expectations for a beserk anime so I am content and it's one of the only anime I am watching atm.

I'm not raving about it and I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't seen the original anime, but if you have seen the original anime don't let the CGI put you off. Definitely worth a shot.

8. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

One of the quotes was translated as you don't need technique to kick the ball and another line is "There's type of football that transcends tactics." and it wasn't silky flair based football which might have an argument for it, it was them literally running themselves into the ground.

I spent 3 episodes facepalming essentially.

9. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Err, they're not entirely wrong.

Heavy pressing is a valid tactic. Probably a pretty valid one too at the amateur level when your opponents struggle to play out of the press.

10. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Latest episode of Re:zero was pretty good after the ride we've been on since around episode 13.

11. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Someone noticed a little tidbit in the last Re:Zero episode that's kinda important:

[​IMG]
    That writing on the tree that Subaru saw? It's Japanese. Translates to "Flugel was here." We know from Subaru's lessons with Ram that the written language of this world is not Japanese (she can't understand his writing). Therefore Flugel is from Earth as well. Flugel was the guy who defeated the Jealous Witch. So, yeah...

12. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

More Time travel fuckery I guess.

13. Phantasm

Phantasm Second Year DLP Supporter

At this point in the season 91 Days, Alderamin on the Sky, Orange, and the second cour of Re;Zero are the ones that have stuck out for me. I'm continuing with Tales Of but I'm not overly impressed with it, still need to watch Sweetness and Lightning too which has had some good write ups on here!

Arslan Senki has been pretty disappointing for me, too, I had pretty high hopes for it.

14. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, so far I have been watching

Re Zero (19 episodes in): Which is pretty good all things considered. Not exactly a masterpiece but the time travel aspects and the psychological strain they put the protag under is interesting.

Sweetness and Lightning (6 episodes in): Really cute and adorable. Makes you feel better after watching it, a five year old who feels more her age than most anime children.

Alderamin on the Sky (5 episodes in): Interesting setting, the protag is a bit tiresome, seeing he is the typical lazy strategic genius who knows everything better than everyone else but I don't loathe him yet (which is pretty good as far as most anime protags are concerned). The flintlock magic things are pretty cool so far, military focus, the relationship with his red haired friend is the highlight really, as so far they are behaving as old friends who stand equally beneficial and comfortable in that relationship. Hopefully they don't fuck that up.

Kinda sad the soundtrack was meh so far.

New Game! (6 episodes in): cutesy show with likeable characters. It's been fun so far, even if they are forcing fanservice and yuri baiting more and more. Latest episode had a pretty blatant ass shot. Still, relaxing show about a girl fresh out of school starting to work as an animator in a game company.

15. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Alderamin was kinda dismissed as "One of those Light Novel adaptations," but I've found it to be pretty excellent. The main character, while filling the "lazy genius" stereotype, feels like he actually has some depth. Seems to loathe the country he serves and resents the princess who favors him.

The latest episode highlighting the relationship with the female protagonist was fantastic. It was a real childhood friendship, and their relationship feels a lot more real than the usual anime fare.

16. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I just watched this based on your recommendation and it isn't half bad. I was hoping for a grittier and darker take on warfare, but it's still dark enough... for an anime TV series. I've enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to seeing ep 13 and maybe reading the LNs if the fan translation is readable. I want to see the main plot which hasn't even started yet. It's pretty obvious that it revolves around the princess and this is only building up to it.

In part it reminds me of Kingdom (bloody warfare, ruthless violence, and a main group of characters always survive battles and have greater ethics than their peers) and Code Geass (outside the box genius strategist involved in international warfare, politics, and revolution).

If ep 13 is the last ep, then somehow they have to delay the enemy enough that they pull back, deal with the aftermath (promotions? the mountain clans?), and hopefully lay some groundwork for the larger plot to tease us with. That's an awful lot to fit into twenty minutes though.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  17. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

They managed it. The main plot has finally been addressed. It wasn't quite what I expected. Looks good.

The LN translations don't even cover to the end of season one, so there's no reading ahead for me. I haven't seen an announcement for season two yet, either.

18. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

That is probably my main issue with that anime. It really makes it hard for me to believe in a world when "everybody" is evil/stupid while the MC and his friends are "paragons/geniuses".

19. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I just watched the movie Kimi no Na wa. (Your Name.), that came out this August. I'll probably be making a proper rec for it in the rec thread once my thoughts settle down, but for now I wanted to ask if anyone else checked it out.

It was really, really fucking good. Animation and plot both were excellent, and the band that made the songs for it are very talented.

20. Phantasm

Phantasm Second Year DLP Supporter

Weirdly saw an advert for this in my local cinema yesterday, it genuinely does look really good, planning to watch it over the next few days. Nice to hear from someone on here that it's worth watching too! Who's the studio that made it, do you know?