1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

SURVIVOR: DLP - Outwit, Outplay, Outlast [COMPLETED]

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Zeitgeist, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Irene

Irene Seventh Year DLP Supporter Retired Staff DLP Gold Supporter

#6 Please. :)

2. Caesar

Caesar First Year

I'll take #1, then. Sigh.

3. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

Give me #2 though I highly doubt I will be able to come up with anything legible if anything at all.

4. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

THE IMMUNITY CHALLENGE

RULES:
    -----------

-You have 24 HOURS to write, starting from now.
    -Minimum word count is 100 words.
    -Maximum word count is 2000 words. If you go over, you will get less points. More is not necessarily better!
    -You will get more points for an ending, or an otherwise satisfying wrapping up.
    -Try to stay on your prompt. You have some creative leeway, but if your story doesn't match up with the prompt less points will be given.

PROMPTS:
    --------------

CAESAR:
    #1: "Harry Potter joins an elite, paramilitary agency called The Sesc Connection, where he meets a beautiful but icy girl called Daphne Greengrass. They fight crime."

CASTIEL:
    #2: "The Chronicles of Narnia: the Pevensie Children explore the magical world of Middle-Earth"

STOJIL:
    #3: "In abject horror, Harry stared at the postcard from New Delhi. Apparently, Hermione was now having a traditional, Hindu wedding."

AEKIEL:
    #4: "James Bond flies to Hong Kong in order to infiltrate a human trafficking network, presumably organised by the fearsome Triads. The Bond Girl? Cho Chang."

GULJONS:
    #5: "Zeit and Drome decide to go on a holiday to the Bahamas, where they encounter a large snowman and a talking mouse."

IRENE:
    #6: "According to the updated myths, the Twelve Olympians now consist of Zeus, Poseidon, Hera, Demeter, Aphrodite, Apollo, Artemis, Hephaestus, Hermes, Ares, Athena, and Harry Potter".​

5. Irene

Guys, I would like to request for a 4k word limit instead. Do you guys want that? Drome says if 2-3 more of you agree she'll extend it. <_<

6. Alindrome

The aim of the word limit was to not put so much strain on you guys, so that you wouldn't need to sacrifice your entire day to write this, and wouldn't end up competing to see who could get the most words in - and secondly so that the judges wouldn't have a ridiculously huge amount to read.

So yeah, if at least two other people agree with Irene that the maximum limit should be raised, then we'll raise it. If people disagree then we won't.

Just keep in mind that there's no hard cap on entry on word limit - you just get some points taken off for exceeding it. If necessary, don't let the word limit get in the way of your storytelling. But don't go crazy with that, since the points taken off are proportional to how over the limit you go.

7. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I have no problem with it.

8. Irene

By no problem do you mean you don't mind 4k word limit or you don't mind 2k word limit?

9. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I have no problem with the limit being raised.

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Given that I am a huge Bond fan (and HP fan by necessity) I'm happy to go with the raised word limit, just so long as it doesn't impact on anyone's score if they don't make it that high. Quality over quantity and all that.

11. Alindrome

Okay; your word limit is 4k. Like you said, no penalties for going below the limit.

12. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Sorry, Zeit/Palindrome. There will be no entry from me. The prompt actually spawned a potentially awesome story and I'm going to pursue it. But it's going to be way longer and it's going to need way more time and attention than what I can give it for the challenge. So... good luck to the other contestants (but seriously, someone beat Irene :ph34r:).

13. Irene

Submitted: My prompt. Final version for now. I gtg.

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I put my prompt in, but it's not quite finished yet. It was fun to write though, so I'll finish when I get back from work.

15. Caesar

Caesar First Year

My prompt's in. Not great, to be honest.

16. Alindrome

Alright, thanks for submitting your prompts, everyone! They shall be read and judged as soon as possible. Time's officially up, now, so we won't be accepting new entries.

DAY 6 HAS ENDED.
    I guess it's twilight of day six now?

17. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Are the QTs open?

18. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

The Qts are indeed open, because it is the Night. Drome will announce the winner of Individual Immunity soon. However, you all have the reward of twelve extra hours of negotiating and finagling.

Also, Tree Mail:

"The consensus is what happens, when you venture into touchy subjects."

19. Alindrome

Four contestants have submitted stories for the scrutiny of the Mysterious Three. Some say they don't eat, but get all their nutrition from reading. Some say they fart poetry. Some say that's bollocks.

All we know is that they definitely do the second thing.

The four people who have tried their hand at creating a story stand before The Three;
    Irene, Guljons, Caesar, and Aekiel.

---------------------------------

"In the green corner, weighing in at a bulking 4,100 words, I present to you... IRENE THE STUDIOUS!"

"In the yellow corner, weighing in at featherweight 700 words, presenting.... GULJONS THE LATVIAN!"

"In the blue corner, weighing in at 1,200 words, please welcome... CAESAR THE GHOST POSTER!"

"In the red corner, weighing in at 2,900 words of pure Northern awesome, it's... AEKIEL THE BESPECTACLED!"

"Ooh, ladies and gentlemen, this is going to be brutal! The fight is on!"

Aekiel takes a swing at Guljons, using his superior weight to knock him back -- and what's this? Irene comes from behind the staggered Guljons and throws all 4,000 words of her ginormous bulk at him! Ouch, ladies and gentlemen, that has to sting. Guljons has been utterly trampled by his two bulkier opponents! Will he be able to recover from this?

Oh! The brutality! With a battlecry of "USE DOUBLE SPACIIIING!" Caesar has begun kicking him while he's down! Surely there's some sort of rule against this, people? Common decency!

Thank god, it's Irene to the rescue of the dazed Guljons, as she sucker punches Caesar into next week with her own cry of "Oh yeah!? Your paragraphs are miles long!". Nice one-- ooohh, she's down! Irene's been tripped by none other than the cool and collected Aekiel. "Try putting more than a sentence or two in your own paragraphs for a change, kiddo." That's ice cold, Aekiel!

It seems that in all this squabbling, Guljons has been knocked unconscious! Guljons is out of the fight! Try not to trip on his body while we drag him out of the ring, contestants.

Looks like Irene's able to spring up without taking much damage from her fall, and she wastes no time in springing on Caesar, pummelling him with her heavy fists. "I'm the one with the epic tone here," she spits, "bitch."

But she's too distracted trying to make her world seem mysterious and epic to notice Aekiel sneaking up on her from behind, wrapping her up in a chokehold before she can tear away. "Big words, Irene. But in all your words did we ever really have any characters we care about? Your weakness is that you're too wrapped up in your tone that your characters become too distant to emphasise with, care about, or even like. Maybe take a step forward once in a while and take the time to explain some things. Take some time to make characters people again."

An exhausted Caesar staggers back up from where he'd fallen onto his arse and lunges for Aekiel, trying to take him out while he's too distracted --
    Aekiel's kick to the face knocks him clean out cold, even as he maintains his stranglehold on the now desperate Irene. "Pfft. Nothing too interesting really happened in your story anyway, Caesar."

Caesar is out of the fight!

Irene struggles against Aekiel's grip, fighting for breath; "You'll never get away with this Aekiel. My story had action! Gods dying left and right!"

Irene violently twists, aiming a savage kick right to his crotch --

Little did she account for Aekiel's BALLS OF STEEL. The kick does nothing but injure her leg and she reels back, losing the last of her oxygen. Irene succumbs, and passes out from the chokehold.

Irene is out of the fight!

Ladies and gentlemen, what a brutal smackdown! We've never seen anything quite so like it in our lives! Let's hear some final words from Aekiel!

"When it comes to action, you just can't win, Irene. My story was a perfect crossover: exciting, fast-paced, vivid with a great setup. I've gone above and beyond what anyone could expect for this type of competition, and I've left my audience begging for more. I am the true Writing Champion."

AEKIEL HAS WON!

Aekiel has been awarded personal immunity! Congratulations, Aekiel! Well done to everyone who entered!
    I bet the other contestants would love to see your stories. Feel free to post them in this thread.

NIGHT 7 CONTINUES.
    I forget how long you have left to discuss.

Looks like this'll be the last of my posts as host, contestants - Zeitgeist says he's unsickly and back up running again for the most part. It's been a pleasure, and I hope you enjoyed my contributions. :>

20. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Very nice, Brah. Made me laugh. Your contribution to the game was thoroughly appreciated.

As for the challenge itself, congrats to Aekiel!