1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sylver Seeker - T - Original

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by Ched, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Title: Sylver Seeker
    Author: KingKennit
    Rating: T (?)
    Genre: Adventure / Fantasy / Action
    Summary:
    Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/36065/sylver-seeker

I think this might be my favorite story on Royal Road, despite it having been a little slow lately. I'm actually fond of the main character for once on RR, with Sylver being an ancient (he's not sure how old, but old) Lich who has crossed pretty much every line there is, but hasn't lost himself because he used to be surrounded by friends / mentors / etc who all kept each other more or less on the level.

Then they all died to someone who had apparently been taking advantage of a time loop to take them all out (this isn't much of a spoiler - it's the first chapter).

Sylver is very much about communication, can be reasoned with, and will avoid needless violence. But he does not fuck around, and if you don't want to talk he has zero issues (and loses zero sleep) just killing you either efficiently or horrifically.

Most of the time the background overarching plot (what happened to his friends, are they all dead, who was the looper, WTF happened) keeps my interest too, and I'm legit interested in getting those answers.

Oh, and it's got 'levels' and stats and shit, but I always forget that because the protagonist does. Because guess what? When he died the first time... that shit didn't exist, and it's existence is part of the over-arching plot.

It's not the best written story on RR and things like PGtE are probably better too. But I think this one might be my favorite of Royal Road at least.

For free shit online I give it 5/5. Score would go down if I need to compare it to high quality traditionally published novels, but why would I?

2. Plutopian Society

Plutopian Society Muggle

My issue with Sylver Seeker is that it’s one of those stories my eyes glaze over when I’m reading it. I’ve read pretty far at this point (ch 93) so I must like it, but I couldn’t tell you anything about it. I’m also not sure to what extent the story just has stuff happen or I skim over details, but I am convinced there is a plot element going on regarding the people who *just keep showing up*. Like in-story memory editing or something. Who the fuck is Tamay??? Through context I can tell that she must be one of the (elves???) Sylver rescued from killing all the Black Mane, but I don’t remember her being introduced at all; she just suddenly was there. The same recently with Olds and Nick? Nico? I don’t even remember the name of Lola’s (boyfriend?). These people just show up and I accept that they’re in the story now, but I swear they were never introduced. This shit is making me lose my goddamn mind. Anyways, since they all are connected to Lola I’m convinced Lola is the woman in white or something. The existence of an all-powerful memory mage has convinced me that these characters just appearing are *hints*.

3/5 which is good enough to read I suppose.