1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

TaureBot's list of Fanfiction-Clichés: Discuss

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

crimson sun (Edit: and HallowRook ditto):

Apples are fruits, agreed?
    Oranges are fruits, agreed?
    Apples can be eaten, agreed?
    Oranges can be eaten, agreed?

Thus, I present to you that Apples are Oranges.

In other words, sharing traits != inducing equality. What you lack (among other things) is a working definition for 'slave', to have this argument in a sensible way.

I put forward that the defining characteristic, and thus the definition, for a slave relevant to this discussion is "to be forced to work against your will".

Because, for all intents and purposes, if you like to do the work and believe it to be your purpose, there is no functional difference between being asked to do something, and being told to do it.

Now we can do two things:

A) You accept this definition. In that case, it's up to debate whether House-Elves are slaves or not, depending on further investigation (which we can't do) to conclude whether they really do like to work, and since I don't want to repeat myself, you read my last ten or so posts.

B) You reject this definition. In that case, we finally put this to rest, because we already disagree about the premise.

@Lyrium; did you see my edit last night? I quite like the Ancient Rome example -- I believe it'd show quite clearly our different stances.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I reject your definition of slavery; I think it's a rather unusual definition. A slave is generally a person owned as property. Theoretically, a person could be a slave without ever doing a day of work in their life, if their master never gave them anything to do.

However, I also reject that the issue is as you present it, even if I were to accept your definition.

If we accept your definition of slavery, then House Elves are trivially not slaves (the definition has been constructed to make this so).

However, this is just an act of fitting House Elves into a stipulated category; a label. Fine, House Elves aren't slaves. But this still does not touch on the substantive issue, which is: is the position of House Elves in society, whatever that position is called, morally justifiable? The material facts remain the same regardless of what you call it, and those facts are, I propose:

House Elves are magically bound to obey the orders of others.

House Elves lack the ability to freely consent to this due to the duress-like circumstances.

House Elves are capable, via education*, of gaining the ability to freely consent or refuse.

When they gain that ability, at least some choose to refuse to be bound to obey orders.

Almost all House Elves are denied the education which allows them that free choice.

*Broadly construed as the learning effect of life experiences.

3. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

In the actual world of Harry Potter (i.e. not the real world) then yes it is morally justifiable.

Please bare in mind that this is not me saying that it is - because it clearly isn't - but you are trying too hard to compare fiction to reality. In this fictional universe it is an accepted fact that house elves are bound to Masters. Heck, Albus Dumbledore has a whole school of them, the largest dwelling in the UK in fact.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Something being commonly accepted does not necessarily make it morally justifiable. It was not long ago at all that homophobia was widely accepted; in many parts of the world it still is.

Even the most progressive people are the product of their times and progressive relative to what they know. This was noted earlier on, about how there are multiple levels of "liberal" and what is accepted by today's liberals becomes questioned by tomorrow's.

Albus Dumbledore is no exception to this.

5. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

Again, I am not saying that it is morally justifiable myself, just that in the world of Harry Potter the belief is society wide.

Maa. Their fashion sense is behind the times, and obviously their views on sentient beings as property is as well. They'll catch up eventually.

6. Sesc

Re: 182, fucking ninjas ... :p

It's tailored to the situation, yes, but I do not believe it's trivially not fulfilled, just as I do not assume the opposite. That's been one of my points the entire time.

Also, I wasn't the one insisting on that term; we had the discussion just fine without it.

Your points:

1 - yes, 2 - needing further deliberation (we argued that point yesterday and reached different conclusions), 3 - see 2, but assuming 2 yes, 4 - remains to be seen, 5 - insufficient data.

------

And that's, of course, assuming we are talking absolute morals, and no one here suddenly pulls out moral relativism (in which case the argument evaporates and we call it a day).

7. Oinyal

Oinyal Fourth Year

We see more characteristics of slavery in the house-elves than just 'forced to work.' Let's play I Spy the Slave with these helpful quotes from hera.org:
    As far as I can tell, it is undeniable that House-elves are slaves.

1. House-elves are controlled by their masters in an even more fierce way than humans because magic ensures their cooperation, or makes disobedience impossible—they can only disobey if their master didn't directly order them to do or not do something (or perhaps house-elf magic is far more psychological than wizards in that their mental state, what they're trained to do, what they know to be right and wrong determines how they can use their magic, or how it turns against them). They seem to be in physical pain when they do not obey or when they hear or think thoughts that contrast what the master would approve of them hearing or thinking. Control over them is absolute. There is no freedom of movement. Dobby going to Harry and Kreacher going to Bellatrix can't not be argued as freedom of movement—they were not told they could not go there. Also, when the master calls, they must answer. In the case of Kreacher not answering Sirius, he saw Bellatrix as a master. She's a Black, one who didn't commit any blasphemy against the Black family.
    2. They are physically punished, whether trained to do it by themselves, or by their master as a penalty.
    3. They cannot determine their life-course. It is up to their master. They are property.
    4. The cannot claim any compensation for their work. There is no gain. They are exploited for free labor.
    5. Personal belongings? They have none. If their state of dress can be argued as 'personal belongings,' they have no control over that. Dobby clearly didn't want to be wearing a pillowcase while he was still owned by Malfoy.
    6. 'Informed consent' implies some sort of education. House-elves are not educated, and you can tell by the way they speak. If they are educated, it is not by wizards, it is by other house-elves who are just as brainwashed, just as uneducated, just as unworldly. There is no 'full understanding' of the relationship between house-elf and master on part of the house-elves exactly because they're not educated. Just because they're in a situation, doesn't mean they understand everything it entails.

Wrong. There is a big difference.

If I'm at my dream job and I decide, "Fuck the world, I'm not doing it," and my boss fires me, takes away my pay, that's my decision. I'm no longer bound to do anything.

If I love work but suddenly decide I need a day off and I'm a slave, guess what will happen?

The difference is having the ability to do something of your free will without fear of physical punishment if you choose to do so, and having the ability to leave that situation, whatever it may be.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  8. Sesc

@HallowRook, this is, as Taure said, only tangentially related; but it's the point of the thought experiment I put forward some time ago. You missed the second part of my sentence. "... and believe it to be your purpose" implies that you do not decide you need a day off. You will decide to do the work when asked. Always. I constructed it in such a way that the quoted sentence is true by definition. The point of contention as I see it is not that quote, but whether it applies to House-Elves.

Edit: And you missed my point entirely. A list of traits is a useless waste of space. Present a definition to which you adhere, nothing more is needed.

9. Oinyal

Oinyal Fourth Year

What? Having a personal purpose in life does not imply that you have to or will always do something. You can believe something is your purpose in life and still get a sick day. I don't care if house-elves can't get ill, some like Dobby get horribly abused. If their hands are ironed and they cannot move them, they cannot do physical work, and, if we take it that they use hand gestures to do magic, they can't work that way either. If house-elves can't go against their supposed purpose for a single day, there is a problem.

And even in a thought experiment where all the happy workers always decide to do the work, it doesn't take away the characteristics of slavery they display, and it does not take away the fact that they don't have the ability to do or not do something if they did so choose so, even if they never do. If you change the thought experiment to a normal worker that always decides to work, they are still not property, their life course is still determined by themselves, they have belongings, they have freedom of movement, etc.

10. Sesc

#79. Specifically, that point of how to determine whether someone means what he says or not.

In the thought experiment where all workers will always decide to work and they are not human (wizards), asserting "they are slaves" is nontrivial; and -- for me -- undecidable with what facts we have from Canon.

11. Stan

Stan Order Member

Even if the "Social Imperius" theory is assumed to be true, there are still practical matters to consider. How on earth do you even start the education of house elves? There is a grand total of one house elf in canon who desires freedom, and even he prefers work to freedom (and is universally reviled by other House Elves), so he is hardly the perfect role model here.

You can't just go on freeing house elves like Hermione tried to do (even if her goals were arguably noble, her methods were unquestionably stupid. I think we can all agree on that), since that would just drive the elves to suicidal depression. The elves get completely horrified at the very idea of 'freedom'. I don't think there are any real life situations that come close to emulating this. This is a complete reinvention of their very species. Where on earth would you even start to sort this mess out?

Also, this is where house elves differ from 10 year olds who desire sex. We know there are 10 year olds perfectly happy without it and there are real 10 year old children whose lives can be emulated by the children in question. There are zero house elves who don't love work more than freedom. For all we know it could be a quirk of their species and a fundamental part of their existence. Which is another difference. House Elves aren't Human. Stop judging them as such.

If we knew for a fact that House Elves would be happier with freedom, I'd agree to their education. As it is, freedom is to House Elves what Dementors are to Harry. It might just be kinder (and definitely less risky) to let the status quo continue.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  12. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

I don't know why I even bother. Once again you have blatantly ignored what I was saying. The only thing you're focusing on is their willingness to work.
    Granted.
    But House elves don't have rights. They can't even choose who to work for and no matter how much they hate their masters it has been ingrained in them to serve them.
    Also there are no laws which protect their interests. They can be treated anyway by their masters and they can't even protest. You really want to tell me that isn't slavery?
    Gotta say though your apples and oranges analogy was rather clever, so you have rhetoric skill but a debate is as much about listening as it is about speaking, and your clever use of it doesn't hide your deficiency.

13. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    In b4 banned again.

I've always thought of house elves as akin to dogs. A dog is quite capable of communicating with you, doing a specific job and following orders. Generally speaking they follow their owner's commands and traditionally have existed in households to serve a purpose. The ability to speak in English and do magic in no way separates them from dogs in my mind. The difference between domestication and slavery is basically how you feel about the issue.

Sauce on any part of the house elf-human relationship being enforced by Magic? It has been a while since I read the books but I don't recall when Harry got Kreacher there being any kind of ceremony for him to accept the bond. The entire concept reeks of magically binding everything, when we know in fact that being magically bound requires specific circumstances (either a powerful object or a person to act as the binder).

14. Sesc

Yes. Because that was the definition I put forward. You are free to agree or reject it, but it's something that can be discussed, as opposed to your approach.

The problem is that you all claiming "slave!" are making it way to easy for yourselves. You start at the end of the debate ("slave!"), and then start listing reasons why. In other words, you're doing it backwards, and leave others no way to verify for themselves whether they would have reached the same conclusion; they are only to agree (or disagree, without being able to offer convincing reasons why).

Doing it the proper way, you offer your definition of "slave", then show how it applies, and finally conclude that therefore, it describes the subject in question.

This gives everyone the chance (A) agree or disagree about the premise, (B) decide for themselves whether it applies or not. In other words, it's much more inconvenient for you, which is why I can only guess it hasn't been done yet. Nevertheless, it's the only useful way to go about this.

The reason it matters, finally, is that I might agree to an imperative that goes "if they are slaves, they ought to be freed". But as long the first part of the sentence isn't defined, and thus can't be proven or disproven (or concluded to be unprovable due to lack of data), the second part does not follow.

15. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

It's magic.

16. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

According to wikipedia

Slavery is a legal or economic system under which people are treated as property.[1] Though laws and systems vary, as property, slaves may be bought and sold. Slaves can be held from the time of their capture, purchase or birth, and deprived of the right to leave, to refuse to work, or to demand compensation. Historically, slavery was institutionally recognized by most societies; in more recent times, slavery has been outlawed in all countries, but it continues through the practices of debt bondage, serfdom, domestic servants kept in captivity, certain adoptions in which children are forced to work as slaves, child soldiers, and forced marriage.[2] Slavery is officially illegal in all countries, but there are still an estimated 20 million to 36 million slaves worldwide.[3][4][5] Mauritania was the last jurisdiction to officially outlaw slavery (in 1981/2007), but about 10% to 20% of its population is estimated to live in slavery.[6][7]

That should sum it up pretty well.

17. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I'd like to propose an amendment:

Any mention of a specific penis length.
    Also, any mention of bra sizes in descriptions of people.

EDIT: Wtf happened in this thread? o_O

18. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Autism speaks.

19. Sesc

:s

Again, you stop halfway. Why do I have to do your argument for you?

Slaves are: "people that are treated as property, namely, that they, from the time of their birth, are deprived of their right to leave, to refuse work or to demand compensation".

There.

Now you show how it applies. I show how it doesn't.

Your problem can be summed up in one word: "people". House-Elves are not people, they are House-Elves. If you want to declare House-Elves slaves, you have to make the non-trivial assertion that human concepts such as the "right to leave, to refuse work or to demand compensation" matter to House-Elves. For it they don't, House-Elves cannot be considered slaves; the term would be meaningless to them.

And that is exactly what I have been talking about for pages, and the point where we disagreed yesterday. I hold that I cannot tell from Canon whether these concepts matter to House-Elves; we have a total of Dobby showing us acceptance of parts of it, and the entire rest of the House-Elves we see staring blankly when confronted with them, and rejecting notions of "freedom", and thus I cannot reach a conclusion either way ("lack of data").

And finally, in want of a definitive answer, I err on the side non-interference, as described in post #79.

20. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

I think you're all focusing on the wrong part of Taures list. Let's seen if we can get things back on track;

Poor Dean.