1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Teacher's list:

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ninclow, May 9, 2016.

1. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    How cool wouldn't it be if Rowling released a complete list of Defence Against the Dark Arts professors, detailing their preferred teaching methods, general demeanor, what most students thought about them and for what they were best remembered at Hogwarts. Perhaps how they choose to decorate their classroom and office? Beginning with a short biography of Professor Merrythought and ending it with whomever became permanent Professor in the subject after Voldemort died and his jinx broke.

Also, have anyone invented such pre-Quirrel professors for fun? How are they like?

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

**pulls up stupidly long notes for a story**

Gwen Fidgen

• Descendant of Gwydion, a figure in Welsh mythology.
    • Taught Albus Dumbledore in Defense Against the Dark Arts, retired during Albus' 4th year.
    • Favorite saying: Adfyd a ddwg wybodaeth, a gwybodaeth ddoethineb. It is a Welsh proverb that (more or less) means "Adversity is the mother of wisdom."
    • Fascination with how DADA intersects with all other areas of magical study. Office reflects that fact, with the central theme being a magical version of this. Only DADA takes the place of Chemistry and is required for all other areas, be they astronomy, charms, magical creatures, or whatever else.
    • Nondescript. Not pretty, not ugly. Not short, not tall. Not strict, not lax. Ash brown hair.
    That's the only one I've ever invented. Edited to add the description.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  3. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Sounds like an interesting Professor, although canonically, Professor Merrythought held the post throughout Dumbledore's entire schooling and did not retire before in 1945. Tom visited Dumbledore to apply for a job the year he rose to the post of Headmaster, which he did in approximately 1957. But that's nitpick, I still like Professor Fidgen. :-D

4. Ched

Well you asked if we'd invented any, not if they fit within canon. ;)

Not sure if we knew about Merrythought when I came up with Fidgen. Merrythought was just mentioned as a name in HBP it looks like, not sure when we got the 'behind the scenes' information.

5. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Right, right. So Professor Fidgen is like, an RP character?

6. Ched

Er, no - it was for a fanfiction I was working on. An AU.

Edit: The story focuses on Harry, but around 5th year Dumbledore becomes more of a mentor. Fidgen was mentioned in passing as inspiring Dumbledore at some point... I think, it's been a few years.

7. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Cool, can I see it? :-D

8. Ched

No, you can't. :D

9. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Oh... Okay, then...

*Patiently await further contributions to his thread, cursing himself for having gone off-topic for a bit, there.*

10. Myrrdin Emrys

Myrrdin Emrys Disappeared

High Score:
    Marius Ququester:

From the line of Atilius Regulus, this man taught at Hogwarts just after the year in which Grindelwald started his campaign.
    Being alone all his life before he started studying at Hogwarts, he made a deep connection with the students, teachers, colleagues and the school itself.
    Believed that anyone with the capability of casting magic as welcome in his class, and as such, often taught werewolves in secret.
    Was a wandcrafter as well, and as such, can supply the werewolves with wands.
    Killed during the reign of Grindelwald after refusing to show a way into Hogwarts, showing the same honesty that his ancestor, Atilius Regulus showed.

11. Kogitsune

Kogitsune Disappeared

High Score:
    I always loved the idea that the dark arts defence creature was a dark wizard. I havn't realt thought about it ask the mechanics of magic have always ended up being more interesting to me.