1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Technomagus by Esama - K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Skeletaure, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I really like it too. I'll give it a 5/5. Keeping my eye on this one too.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A very good point. However, the story might be a bit boring if Harry was perfect from the start. Hopefully this story will involve some character progression, and Harry's realisation of the above may be his. After all, for all the knowledge he possesses, he's still a child.

3. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Yeah, kids always think they are right all the time, and having an Ancient knowledge to back him up to a point would only enchance Harry's point of view in his own eyes. Notice how he conveniently try's not to find much about magic while at Hogwarts, surrounded by experienced wizards willing to explain it to him - perhaps he subconsciously fears to find some magics (like portraits, for example) that would be pretty hard to sell with technology.

4. TwilightAmbition

TwilightAmbition First Year

I agree with Vorpal, but it bothers me alot more.

This Harry annoys me more than pussy!Harry. He has all that knowledge, but he's extremely ignorant and arrogant, and don't give me bullshit about him being a child, Dumbledore erased his child memories.

1/5.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  5. Skeletaure

High Score:
    He still has the body of a child. And Dumbledore erasing his memories makes him more of a child, not less. He's effectively zero. He has knowledge, yes, but not wisdom.

And ignorance is not something you can really accuse him of, though arrogance certainly is.

6. TwilightAmbition

TwilightAmbition First Year

Harry has all those memories, and to him it's like he lived them, so he should have gained the wisdom of the memories too.

7. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

He didn't gain memories, he gained a collection of information. The knowledge was implanted into his mind, he has no recollection of foreign events added onto this.

8. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

Way, way too long for way, way too little plot. This guy clearly studied at the "Partially Kissed Hero" author's school for lengthy bloviation about ideas they think are cool.

2.9/5

9. flyingthundergod91

flyingthundergod91 Muggle

I really like this story, admittedly i only scan read it, but the parts i read make real logically sense. He has combined both fandom's in an incredibly believably way. I can find very little flaw in this story!

5/5

10. TehLicha

TehLicha First Year

I have to agree with the slow plot movement. So far, we have three extremely long chapters, and all we have is a pre-Hogwarts Harry that is skeptical about magic, the true Philosopher Stone, and some minor character development. But it's still a good read.

11. hchan1

hchan1 Sixth Year

Decent start, if a bit slow-paced, but the author has written, among other things, slash/mpreg yugioh fics. I shudder at the thought of what future chapters may bring. 4/5 so far.

12. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

This story is library worthy. Yes, it's slow-paced, but interest in the story remains. I'm holding off from voting for a couple more chapters, but at the moment it's worth 5 stars.

13. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I'm tempted to agree. Chapter for chapter, though, "Partially Kissed Hero" usually makes all that reading worth it by taking you someplace fresh and interesting by the end. Technomagus, on the other hand, has basically spent three chapters saying the same thing, over and over again, just using different words.

The Philospher's Stone/Sarcophagus parallel was interesting.

I'm not too fussed about Harry's memory loss. Yeah, Dumbledore is a high-handed twat who's too self-assured of his own infallibility, but we all knew that already.

If this had happened after Harry had made friends with Hermione and (*sigh* I suppose) Ron, then I'd be bothered. As it is, the only things he's forgotten are his odious relatives and the shitty, friendless, deprived childhood they forced upon him.

It's not like he's forgotten his parents or anything, canon dictates that the only thing he remembers about them is his dementor-induced recollection of his mother's murder. No loss there.

Edit: Oh, hey, it's post #555.

14. Skeletaure

High Score:
    I have a feeling it's going to be like that for a long time. Technomagus is basically an exposition on the nature of magic, packed up as a story.

15. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like this alot. My first Stargate crossover too. Extremely well written, and a very intresting take on magic. Even if it's only in the beginning, 4.5/5

16. Yume Deli

Yume Deli First Year

I liked it alot. It's not without it's faults but hardly anything is, and for a crossover it's a delightfull and original idea, a fresh breath of air. So if any kind of cossover deserves a 5 it's one like this one. 5/5

17. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

I enjoyed reading this, but I will say the same concern I posted on my FF.net review: that Voldemort will become marginalized. Too often in HP/SG1 crossovers Voldemort is a footnote on the way to the greater SG1 conflicts. I hope the author doesn't do this.

Still, it is very well written and has a lot of promise. 4/5

18. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One DLP Supporter

This is very good. I always like Scientist!Harry stories.

Skeptic!Harry is even better. 4/5

19. Skeletaure

High Score:
    To be honest, I much prefer marginalised Voldemort to involved Voldemort. The idea of Voldemort standing at the helm of a mothership and leading an intergalactic war is just... too much.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  20. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

I like what I have read so far, but I have the feeling that in another few chapters I will come to hate it. Harry is just too OOC. He really needs to show a little bit of personallity.

I know it wouldn't make sense for him to act like he does in canon, as he doesn't have the experiance, but I would like something to show that he isn't just a robot. I guess it boils down to what side the author takes on the Nature verses Nurture debate, if you know what I mean. Does Harry act the way he does because of the way he was raised? Or becuase of something deeper. If the author is for the Nurture side, I think we can be sure that OC Harry is to stay.

I feel that it is to early to rate it.