1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Anti-Cliche` Thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jon, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

Man, that'd be one messed-up kid. But fun to write for whoever tackles it :)

2. Burn

Burn Second Year

Non-unified magical America

One day I was sitting about, reading an HP fanfic, listening to some Epica, and upon coming across what may have been my twentieth-or-so scene where Harry escapes to America which is the "bestest magical country in the world!", I had an idea. What if magical America wasn't unified? Instead, the American magical world is split up into regions that have certain set beliefs and practices, most of which comes from stereotypes. An example being that the south section is racist and pureblood that favors dark magic due to the influence of Louisiana, which is the vampire Mecca in the new world.

3. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I must agree with you. Britain is the cream of the magical crop. The US isn't. I hate when they make the US some perfect utopia the embraces the wonders of both magic and technology, and everything is so great, and it's all so United! If the US mattered, it would be mentioned.

My contribution:

The world has very litte of Harry and Madame Maxime as a pairing. While I'm not overly intrigeud by that, the idea of Harry taiming Blaize Zabini's mother is tempting.

4. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    o rly?

How could you possibly know that?

5. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

It could be argued that the war in the 1970s forced many people to leave, meaning that places like France (Beauxbatons), or perhaps... I dunno, Iceland, received an influx of magic users who wanted to be away from Voldemort's rather nutty notions, and enriched magical communities there.

6. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Hello! Think McFly! Think! That is almost exactly the opposite of what the Ickle firsty said! He never mentioned that the US was either better, Nor worse. Just the fact that it wasn't Unified like the muggle side is!

And scary enough he makes a very valid point. Call me the prejudiced American if you like, but Using Burn's concept there is every chance that sections of the country would specialize in certain aspects of magic. For example the Vamps section would probably be more advanced in bloodmagic and necromancy The plains region would probably excel in Animagi and Ritual magic the west would probably have a heavy stock of concealing and offense magics, Ect Ect Ect.

As for Briton being 'The cream of the crop' Please! They may have been in midevil times, but even cannon supports the fact that the entirety of magical Briton is still stuck there! while the rest of the world has moved on, Briton is still acting out the parts of 'Lords and vassals', and you can bet that they have stagnated more than they have grown.

No offence was intended to any British members, but I just can't see them as still being #1 in the world. Oh I admit they may be way up there in certain FORMS of magic, but I really doubt they are the best across the board.

Edit: Oh! and Kudo's to you Burn, Have some Rep!

7. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

I like that idea. A diverse magical community in the US would make sense if you consider America as it is now. But instead of having just different specialization of species, i.e. human, vamp etc, why not have it change within the community. I mean if you go into the say little china in San Francisco then the magical community there will be heavily influenced by the ancient Chinese principles where as the African community would be more shamanistic etc. I would like to see some one do something like that. It would add a certain depth to the background instead of the usual American magical society RULZ crap.

8. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

If anyone wants that story (even if it is an old post) it's called Crumpets aren't My Style. O'Neil saves Harry from Death Eaters.

Now then, Anti-cliches...

-Harry becomes trapped in the Chamber, and the Basilisk is still alive. He has to avoid the Basilisk who still awaits new commands that shall never come because the Memory is gone. He'd have to find food and try to escape.

The Memory isn't there because the Basilisk accidently crushed Ginny whilst lunging at Harry. And Fawkes was eaten, so s/he can't help Harry. A short fic it would make.

Also about the America bit that's been going on.

Maybe it's still broken into the Union and the Confederacy, who don't like each other. They broke all ties because the Confederacy used the slave's magic (if they had wizard/witch slaves) during the war and the Union didn't like it. So even after the war and the Confederacy no longer used slaves the Magical Union didn't want to reintergrate with the Magical Confederacy.

9. Burn

Burn Second Year

About the America things

My general idea was that magical America never unified in the first place: the wizards were too greedy and thus formed a loose confederation designed to protect the American continent should any British wizards try to invade. They (the American wizards) care nothing about the muggle populace. Well...the vampires do, but only for food.

Also, this America would be far more secretive than Britain - these are people who have not intervened in any war that America has been involved in, save for some small battles during WWII against invading german wizards. I love the idea that each section has its own special magical proficiency - it helps keep the American Wizarding Confederacy of Independent States (or something like that) from seeming to be too interconnected, especially if there is the occasional battle between the light-sided north and rather dark south.

I hope I didn't just necro-post.

10. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

kinda, but since we were talking about your post and you had somthing worth hearing to add, I for one will let it pass. :)

what we need though is someone willing to take this up as a challenge... or perhaps you should write it up as one and put it in the challenges section.

11. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

Of Curses and Divination

If a person journeys and labours long enough in the art of Divination, and if he has a skill bore by blood, he may come unto a power many fear and few possess; that is, he may Curse an individual so that his fate becomes what the Divinor deems so. And the Doom may never be evaded, for many have tried and none have succeeded, and it stays true no matter what happens to the Divinor.

A great power this is, but as with all magicks there are by the Natural Law 7 limitations upon it that may never be broken, lest the Divinor be utterly destroyed.

The first: This Curse must be given face-to-face.

The second: The greater the might of the Cursed One, the less specific the Curse and the easier to fulfill the letter but not the intention of it.

The third: The greater the strength of the Divinor, the more specific the curse.

The fourth: A Divinor must be not be great in Divination alone, but a masterful sorcerer.

The fifth: The closer to death the Divinor is, the more potent his Doom.

The sixth: The Cursed One may never disbelieve his fate in his heart, although he may pretend to do so even to himself.

The seventh: Prophecies may not be altered in any way.

The greatest Dooms were given in the early years of this world, for the sheer glory needed to wield the ability skillfully is now nearly spent, and many with the power nowadays use it not, lest they be exiled or killed. The two most potent destroyed empires and whole peoples; they were even named Narn i Chîn Húrin and Amarth na e Golodh.

12. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...so?

How would this affect Harry Potter? Give us an idea of the context you see it being used. What about these destroyed empires that you name, whats the purpose of them? I assume there is one since you actually name them.

13. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

The scene I imagined was that Voldemort has trapped Ollivander in his throne-room. A duel ensues, and Ollivander loses. Voldemort decides to gloat. But in his last breath, spitting out blood, Ollivander curses Voldemort by saying, "Here shall all your hopes fail. Here you will be crushed, yet not die, but become a spirit tortured and powerless for all eternity."

Or Dark!Harry discovers that this is the power-the-Dark-Lord-knows-not. And there's an interesting scene where he curses an person just for spite - maybe Snape's brother.

Still, it's basically merely an idea that nobody has used in Harry Potter and I think is cool that could be used in a story; like Miranda's idea of summoning brains. Not very canonish magic, but hey, Divination was always weird.

The destroyed empires thing are just a subtle hint on where I got the idea: Quenta Silmarillion (or Lord of the Rings, for those who aren't Tolkien fans). I put them in elvish (Sindarin, I think) - in English they're translated as The Tale of the Children of Hurin and Doom of the Noldor. The stories are too long to tell, but suffice to say that there was a lot of suffering from the curses.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  14. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I always thought that it would be funny to see HArry as a kleptomanic. I can imagine him stealing random shit that would lead to advances in the lpot while everyone wonders where the hell their crap has gone. I bet Dumbles would regret giving Harry the invisibility cloak then...

15. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

ya, that would be a pretty intersting fic. write it up and drop it in 'work by author' :)

Btw: {Points and laughs}
    Ha Ha! Snape's a muggle!

16. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

I have 2 that come to mind.

1.) Harry believing Dumbledore is manipulative when he is actually not. You know things like withholding his parents will when that type of thing would be public knowledge. His Mom really wanting him to live with his aunt. Every possible thing that Harry accuses DD of doing, he didn't do. Would make a nice one shot humor fic.

2.) Hedwig's Death and Rebirth as a phoenix . I know that I have read many stories in which this was a plot device. What would be different would be Harry having sex with the dead birds body because of some type of uncontrollable force. As he is getting his rocks off, the birds body starts to get warm until Harry finally reaches release. When this happens, the bird's body explodes into a burst of light and out comes Neues Bumsen the phoenix ( I hope I said what I wanted to say in the translation.) The inspiration for this one comes from this thread http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=5573

17. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why does Harry have to go to Hogwarts at all? Maybe he went to Beauxbatons or Durmstrang? Private tutoring has been shot to pieces, as has any sort of ' Harry goes to Hogwarts a couple years after he's supposed to.' Maybe he should meet the Hogwarts crew at the Tri-Wizard Tournament?

{Edit} Dumbledore knows he disappeared, but Harry goes to one of the other primary Euro schools under an alias so the man can't find him. What a shock it would be for old Dumblearse and, if that doesn't work, Harry doen't have to deal with Ginny. Always a plus

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  18. Dain Bread

Dain Bread Second Year

Harry Potter, Dean Thomas, and Ernie MacMillan. Three children raised under muggle traditions. They have grown up to fear (or despise) the unnatural. When they encounter their first ghosts in Hogwarts, they make a pact to become...The Ghost Busters. ^_^ I just think it would be hilarious to see 11 year olds running around with the suits and vaccuum on.

Of course they would run out of ghosts, so they might move onto other things, like Dementors or demiguises?
    I'd also like to see the Stay Puff Marshmallow Guy (giant marshmallow dude) somehow incorporated:D

How about a pychopath Harry who instead of a pyromaniac, has an obsession with all things sharp and pointy. Like butcher knives. :)

19. Kage Buyo

Kage Buyo First Year

Haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if these have been suggested...

1) Harry or Dumbledore created a Horcrux.

2) During the Chamber incident in CoS, Harry isn't able to stop Tom Riddle. The world is now faced with a 17 year old Voldemort entering his prime.(Harry lives though, he was to fight Voldemort)

3) Harry raised by Barty Crouch Sr. (Sorta of a second chance to Barty to fix his past mistake)

4) Harry creates his own field of magic (NOT Wandless magic or Elemental magic. He creates something obscure, maybe a type of magic from another novel)

5) Harry has a very hard time learning basic forms of magic, but is capable of learning the most complex forms of magic just as easily as a 7th year does a Levitation Charm. The idea is based off on Albert Einstein who was said to have failed Math as a child but was capable of creating some of the most amazing equations the world has ever seen. (Basic forms of magic would be pretty much most magic on the Hogwarts curriculum, the complex magic would be the stuff Dumbledore did at the DoM, etc.)

6) Grindelwald created a Horcrux and Voldemort finds it. He resurrects Grindelwald and uses an advanced form of mind control to control Grindelwald.

7) Grindelwald defeated Dumbledore and took over Europe. A civil war breaks out when Voldemort attempts to over throw Grindelwalds' regime. The civil war goes on for decades with the magical world split, people who side with Voldemort and people who side with Grindelwald. It's up to the author on who's side Harry is on and if Voldemort is just fighting Grindy or is he also attacking muggles.

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  20. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

--> Crouching Lion, Hidden Serpent. Though which past mistakes you mean is unclear...

Einstein had a 6 in maths and physics, which, in Germany, is the same as an F. In Switzerland, however, where he went to school, it's equivalent to an A.