1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Apprentice by Deborah Peters - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Provis, Apr 14, 2011.

1. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    ... The dance scene is Snape/Daphne Greengrass's mom. This is disappoint.

That being said, the story seems solidly done, and if it wasn't for the fact that it's well... Snape, I could see continue reading it. Problems I see thus far is James being too one-dimensional and Snape becoming too popular amongst those it counts to be popular with.

The basic framework of the story would work well with Riddle or a darker, more embittered Harry, but Snape has an inherent unpleasantness that means even if he goes back in time and played everyone like a fiddle, he's still greasy git. That means drunken seventh-years (Greengrasses or no) should not be drunkenly coming onto him. This bodes poorly for things to come.

But meh. Even with Snape's character being whitewashed a little too much this story is still many times better than I thought such a story could be.

2. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

I laughed uproariously. It might be because I am in fact inebriated at the moment, but I found this funny.

Nothing so far for me to give it less than a 4/5. I'll rate it when I'm done reading, though.

3. Palurien

Palurien Third Year DLP Supporter

It feels odd reading a story and not wishing the main character gets the girl.

4. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It feels odd seeing DLP support a story that will have Snape preventing our namesake from even being born...

5. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It is odd indeed, but good stories are good stories. And despite the fact I know I shouldn't, I love this.

6. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Given the main character, I was extremely skeptical of this story. However, the implementation is excellent and won me over.

I eagerly await the next update.

7. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

Any pairing including snape is gagworthy. I wanted to try and started reading this story. I wasn't able to go on more than a chapter. Can't see Snape becoming something better than James. But I was able to finish the story when I started replacing Snape with Harry in my imagination.

3.5/5

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'd read Snape/Fridwulfa if it was written my NMB, and I'd probably rate it 5/5 as well.

9. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So harry/lily is better than snape/lily? Oh wait this is DLP, of course.

10. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

What is the point of that? You can't enjoy non-Harry centric stories?

Anyways, I'm loving this story so far. Snape is really well characterized in this, as is everyone else.

My favorite scene was
    Snape sneaking past death eaters killing a muggle lover, rather than trying to stop it because he knew that would just be bringing attention to himself

I wish there was a lot more. I'd probably rate it 5/5 then, but since it's still really early plot wise I'm going to refrain from rating it at all. The pacing is slow but it feels perfect.

11. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I completely love this. This is Snape in top form.

I'd recc this to any Harry Potter fan. He really has his phasers set to full snark in this.:awesome

12. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

This fic inspired me to read some other Snape re-do fics and good god they were all awful.

Just makes me appreciate this story a little more.

13. Euro

Euro Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Yes, yes, good scenes, good LOLs too, Snape actually has a sense of humour, passable view into the politics and society of magical UK '70s, but most importantly; this story breaks Potter Law and thus has to be burned and vanished from the face of the Earth like all the rest of the SS/LE tripe out there.

Having Snape gradually change to appease his new master and new social position is not a loophole in the Law. Snape is Snape and is supposed to stay a bitter ass-hole to make the reader feel better about their life choices.

Having said that; the story has the best Snape I have read in a long time. It is definitely worth reading and the tarnish on your soul after laughing to the Snape humour within.

3/5 because it is singular within the SS/LE pairing, otherwise 1/5 for just that.

And, yes Harry/Lily is way better.

14. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

15. Gulliver

Gulliver Second Year

4/5 for quality. Some fantastic lines.

16. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Well-written, Snape's in-character, Lily is a believable teenager, Jigger is a well-done OC, events unfold naturally and logically...but where's the conflict? It's like I'm reading the life of a completely normal wizard (albeit one who travelled back in time).

It's good and enjoyable, but by this point (meaning where the author left off) we should already see some conflict. All we have is Voldemort lurking in the background, the Muggles being slightly harassed (not even enough to keep them from working in Diagon Alley), and Snape's rivalry with James Potter, which is practically laughable. No obstacles, no challenges. I just hope the author has the sense to kill Cadogan's husband soon or something that pushes Snape out of his comfort zone.

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Eh, yeah, it's moving somewhat slowly, but I'm leery of saying that "we should already see some conflict" as if that is the only acceptable way of writing the story.

I like the pace it's moving at and, while I would welcome some more conflict, I'm also really just enjoying it going smoothly along. It seems to fit well with Snape somehow. He's not a hot-headed young Harry Potter out to save the world. I can actually envision Snape being in this situation and seeing it as a chance to selfishly have all the things he wanted. He gets Lily and he is slowly working on a plan for doing away with all the horcruxes. Given the time frame he's dealing with he has no reason to hurry overmuch.

It's a different kind of writing, this reading the life of a normal wizard with a few quirks, but I like it. I won't say that it's wrong for not having introduced more conflict already.

But that's just me personally.

18. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Yeah, I agree. The pacing is slow, but its working so far for this fic. I think if the author had thrown in a few battle scenes it would have detracted.

That's why I liked that one scene I mentioned in spoiler tags so much, because it fits Snape so well and is such an un-"Harry Potter" thing. It really made me realize just how overused action scenes are in most stories.

There's nothing wrong with action; but when I'm re-reading stories I find myself skiping over the pointless and randomly added in fight scenes.

Conflict doesn't have to come from spellslinging. Things like Snape having to win over Jigger may not be as exciting as an epic duel, but it's no less enjoyable to me for it.

Sometimes I see comments like "Really wish X and Y had a cool fight scene", but usually what I wish for in fics is "Man, I can't wait to see the conversation where X finds out Y had been hiding _____ from him."

19. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Whoever said conflict is about action? A cat stranded on the tallest branch of a tree can be enough conflict if handled well. I don't expect Snape to go wand blazing against Death Eaters--in fact, him staying as far as possible from them is just perfectly in character. But what about the Death Eaters approaching him? A 15 or 16-year-old teenager just set a new record for Potions in NEWT's and was accepted in an apprenticeship under the most noted battle-potions (?) Master in Britain, and yet Voldemort & Co don't approach him?

Of course, things could be happening in the background, things Snape isn't aware of, and, by proxy, we aren't aware of. But if the reader isn't aware of the conflict, there *is* no conflict. I'm just saying the author should throw something out there to break the balance and pull Snape out of his comfortable bubble.

EDIT: The only sort of "plot" we have is Snape's plan to make a potion that can destroy horcruxes, but it seems to be so far into the background that it's hardly important anymore. And while it probably still is important to Snape, it seems there is no real rush. After all, he isn't being targetted by anyone, he is in love, he's getting along with Jigger, publishing potion papers, he's well in the past, with plenty of time before Harry is even born...what's the rush? Dunno. Good story-telling, but it reads more like anecdotes than a novel.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  20. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

I spoke with the author on her Livejournal a little bit. She mentioned this, which seems encouraging.

There's supposed to eventually be 3 parts.

Last edited: May 15, 2011