1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Brave New World by bellerophon30 - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

I got up to the part where the werewolves attacked the school using firearms.

I spent the rest of the night playing DotA, trying to forget how much time I wasted when I could have been owning noobs with my Sand King.

2. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Like I think I said once before, I read this fic by skimming over literally everything that takes place in America. That way, I manage to avoid all the lame school filler and romance, and just get the meat of the plot regarding the war in England.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  3. Le

Le Fourth Year

I used to always keep up with this fic, ignoring how ridiculous it got. But then, eventually, I realized that it was just something I was reading for regular, substantial updates, which, while all good and well, do not make a story. Soon after, I gave up on it. I think it was around chapter 27.

4. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

updated, one of the better chapters.

5. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

Just got updated - pretty decently written battle scene, and I liked that Umbridge finally kicked the bucket. :p

There was a shocker in the chapter but I'll put that part in spoiler tags:

Dumbledore takes two Killing Curses meant for Harry.

The narrative is still a bit annoying ("bad man", "your man Dobby", "the WWWs") but I can live with it.

Ends on a sort of cliffhanger. :p

6. Fayr Warning

Fayr Warning First Year

I read this story for the longest time mostly because it is regularly updated, lenghty, and has battle scenes.

Plus I liked the authors other story.

But after so many chapters I reached a breaking point. I just can't get over Harry's love-interest. It is so utterly 'perfect' and so utterly wrong.

After skimming over every scene where she is his ideal I stopped reading just so I could avoid the candy-sweet wedding that's sure to follow.

Plus I maintain that very few authors can have a plot and a romance story at the same time, mostly because romance stories have the nasty habit of Pairing-Whoring (as in everyone must find their soulmates even if they still can't tie their shoes right).
    Some might be good at one or the other but it doesn't mean they can do it at the same time. And least of all do it well.

Other than that I got to admire the author for keeping it up. There's persistence in writing your own thing.

~Fayr Warning

7. redawgts

redawgts First Year

The real problem with this story is that it is too long. I like a nice long read as much as anybody else, but seriously, this story is about as long as the first 5 books combined. And he's not even finished yet. I wouldn't be surprised if, when finished, it's as long as the first 6 books. If he had split it up into multiple books that probably would have helped.

8. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

updated, very ho hum chapter.

9. Verminard

Verminard Seventh Year

I read his first story and liked it, though it had some of the cliches I dislike - the trunk with the house and electricty inside being one. This story just seemed to meander. He could cut out half of it and it would be an OK independent Harry.

The scenes in America are superfluous and could be gutted with no real damage to the plot.

10. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Updated, folks I think the end is near!

11. darthdavid

darthdavid Second Year

I love long fics but this fic is ridiculous. I gave up some time ago.

You know you need an editor to trim shit down when your chapters are longer than some completed stories with full and enjoyable plots and nothing ... much ..... seems ...... to ....... happen ....... in ........ them.

12. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

I kindda gave up at the beginning of the fic. I just can stand the fact that Harry's New Headmaster seemed so perfect. It annoyed the heck out of me.

Yes make Dumbles a manipulative asshole, that ok. But to suddenly have another who seems to have all the answers to Dumbledore's schemes... Pushing it...

Has it improved from the beginning? Is it worth another read?

13. Akalon

Akalon Second Year

Columbus, Ohio USA on weekends, weekdays The Void.
    Ok I can see that some of you guys don't like the length or the hell everything it seems to do with the american scenes, but come'on cut the author some slack, I liked the first and I like this one also and truthfully I can't see any of these 'too perfect' parts at all.

And just so you know I've read a fanfic that had nearly 3 million words and over 270 chapters to it and that fic's sequal looks to be in the same size category, so don't bitch about this one being too long, well at least not to me on it.

14. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Link?

On the fic, my god! I have never got past the first few chapters, where Harry starts playing basketball and plays himself in a play about himself, fucking hell is this boring and dragged out, is there any action at all?

15. darthdavid

darthdavid Second Year

The difference between being enjoyably lengthy and fucking long isn't in actual length so much as how much shit the author accomplishes with a given number of words. As far as that's concerned bellerophon fails.

If the length was put to good use I'd be jumping for joy. It's not.

16. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

Finally the battle is joined. I'm not even done yet and it's already not as good as I hoped. Bellerophon's descriptive narrative leaves a lot to be desired here as the suspense is rapidly dissipated by his essentially newscasterish narrating style.

This is indeed the terminating chapter, so the usual what-did-they-do-after-school summary is at the end.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  17. redawgts

redawgts First Year

There's a lot of things I could say about this last chapter, both good and bad. But the only thing I'm going to complain about is the fact that after the battle, when Harry has several broken ribs, was magically exhausted and had numerous other injuries, they didn't check his injuries, they didn't call a healer, they just propped him up in the stands and watched the rest of the graduation ceremony. Ya know, so he wouldn't look weak. What the fuck?!? If I'm severely injured, I'd want some fucking medical attention.

18. Akalon

Akalon Second Year

Columbus, Ohio USA on weekends, weekdays The Void.
    I've gotta agree with you on that, get me a f-ing healer stat!!!

I personally like bellerophon's writing style, and I'm gonna be watching for anymore stories he puts out too.

Oh and Gullible that story is a Teen Titans fic so I'm not for sure if it'd be ok to give you the link on here. I will tell you if your truely interested in checking it out that the story is called These Black Eyes and if I remember the authors name right it's by Post, though that might be his coauthor on a few crossovers they've done together. Just use the search engine of FFnet to find the story.

19. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

And so it goes....

For all the "quirks" of this story I think it is the best Long! Harry Potter Fics
    I have read. The only other one I think is close is the trilogy that barb wrote(or is that three related stories), and my memory of that is dim. I think this was much better than the latest bobmin epic, and I am grasping at straws to mention "awaking of the magus" May it ever be updated (or is that may it never be updated)

So that ending, was it bittersweet, or just plain mushy?

20. Novamute

Novamute Third Year

While I thought that this was a decent story as a whole and I have to commend the author for sticking with and finishing a story of this length I do believe that some serious editing would have made this a much better read. There are just so many parts that are completely unnessecary for either plot development or character development. I can liken it to have a pretty decent movie cut up into segements and then thrown into a copy of Ishtar. I think that the author has a good sense of how to create a world and the character there within, but there are definately situations where less is more. All that having been said I will keep an eye out for any future work from this author, but with my fingers crossed in the hopes that he will tighten up his writing.