1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Chimera: More Snake than Lion by apocalypso - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Zero, Mar 13, 2006.

?

How do you rate this fic?

1. Outstanding

42.1%
  2. Exceeds Expectations

46.1%
  3. Acceptable

8.4%
  4. Poor

2.2%
  5. Dreadful

1.1%
  1. BloodLust

BloodLust Banned

Yes! new chapter!
    Loved it, great writing as usual, and the detail put into the wand customisation was great, I think that's the first time anyones used Flobberworm...update soon!

2. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Well, as BloodLust said, the new chapter is up.

Got a lot of help with this, and I can honestly say that this chapter would be no good without their contributions.

That said...GO READ IT! THEN REVIEW! :p

3. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

great chapter, I loved the battle with the Centaurs and the end was rather shocking :) Cant wait to see what happens next.

4. CGB

CGB Auror

Good new chapter. I liked the fight scene a lot. You didn't make Harry too powerful and he ripped the Centaurs apart nevertheless. Great!

5. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Yep. Great chapter. The battle was great, the Tonks/Cho scene was great and the wand-altering scene was great. It was just a great job all-around.

Keep it up and update soon.

6. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Another excellent installment

Very nice chapter, truly Outstanding. I liked how you customized a wand, it's much better than the cliche second uber wand, not to mention more realistic.

I adored the fight scene, it was definitely worth the wait for an all out rumble; not to mention the blood magic was friggin sweet! I am disappointed that Harry didn't get more backlash from the spell though: one would think that such massive damage would have a physical as well as a magical backlash; however, it is your call. Regardless the bloodmagic was awesome.

I am slightly confused as the end of the story (you should have just cut off before that scene so there wasn't a cliffhanger we have to wait a month for..grrr): Did the letters contain instructions for Cho and Tonks as for what to do after the obliviation or what? Did Tonks wipe all memories about Harry from her mind, but left a letter to Cho to explain what happened and why, and one to herself to explain where she had been for the last few days? Did she decide to remove the romantic feelings from her mind or somehow make herself submissive to Cho as a lesser wife of sorts? Too many questions... but I guess that's the point of a cliffhanger.

I enjoyed how you used unicorn teeth of all things. Most people only use cliche tail hairs, so it is truly a nice change of pace; ditto to the snidget, I couldn't get the picture of a tweety bird out of my mind.
    Keep up the good work, and please don't keep us waiting too long for an end to the cliffe and Harry's rituals!

7. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Nice job Yarrgh, though that was quite the cliffie. Makes you wonder what was in that letter.

8. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Great new chapter. A little blood and gore and a little exploding centaurs makes everything better. I really hope to see what comes of the cliffhanger.

9. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

I don't know. I was a bit confused by this chapter, it was about ten times more angsty then the all of the previous chapters combined and just wasn't really something I enjoyed. I did like the wand customization though.

10. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I'm curious with the whole Tonks obliviating herself thing. Other than that it was just okay for me, could've been better, but definately better than 99% of the other shit out there..

11. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Awesome new chapter! Loved the wand making and the battle scene; though I think they should have suffered a little more damage other than just an arrow wound for both of them.

I'm not sure, but I think the Obliviation was to take all her romantic urges for Harry out of her mind, and the letter to Obliviate Harry's urges? Meh, I'm not too sure.

12. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

You sir have outdone yourself. That was an excellent chapter. The fight scene was really cool and the wand theory was magnificant.

The only thing that left me a little confused was the last scene with Tonks... Oblivate??? Why??

13. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

I like the chapter, though the second chap is still my favorite. Anyway, the cliffhanger just seems a tad bit vague as we've got no idea on Tonk's motives for the obliviate, but all in all, good chapter.

14. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

I think she feels she has intruded, and so wipes her memory for atonment or something.

15. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Nope.

:D I'm not telling. You'll have to wait and see what its all about. There's no point writing a cliffie if I tell everyone what's happening ;)

Only a handful of people know what's happening, and I can trust them to not tell you :p

I'm cackling, and you're hating on me for it, but you'll see. Keep reviewing on FFNet/FicWad, people, the numbers are appreciated :p

16. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Allright, while I was rereading Chimera, a few things really bugged me, and I was wondering if you could enlighten me as to what is going on:

First of all, a question: If Lily was "the last Heiress of the Crowen Family", how on earth did she get mistaken as a muggleborn? Was her mother also the last of her line as a Squib? Did her father renounce his ancestory? How does that work? I mean, I can't fathom that a family "well known in some circles, with many being Hit-Wizards or Mercenaries" would just be able to drop off the face of the Earth and become muggles, nor can I conjecture as to why they would want to.

Secondly, if Flamel gave Dumbledore a fake stone, wouldn't someone of Tom's power be able to tell that it wasn't the real thing once he was in close contact with it? I mean, something that powerful must be pratically radiating magic; Wouldn't a splinter of soul, heck even Quirrel, be able to tell that the stone wasn't real from a mere meter away? Along this line, why bother trying to wrest it from Harry if he knew it was fake instead of just AKing the boy or turning him into a flaming hamburger?

As a side note, what happens if a magical contract were to be breached? I doubt that you could do this in Chimera, but maybe in incubus... Personally, I think it would be hilarious if Dumbledore made some sort of marriage contract or even an alliance with Harry to a Light family of some sort and Harry simply refused to fullfill it. Maybe he made it with the Longbottom family or the Abbots or the Bones, heck I don't know, about always supporting each other's interest in the wizengamot, or maybe a simple betrothal. Regardless, the aftermath of the backwash from breaking said contract could be highly amusing, esp if Dumbledore, signing in Harry's stead, caught the brunt of it. Just a thought...

Anyway, another thing that has been bugging me. Tom went throughout Europe serving Grindelwald, and more than likely scoured England for powerful magicks, so it is highly probable that he at least came across mention of Blood Magic before; He was a deranged lunitic at times, yes, but were records of this art so thoroughly scoured that nowhere in Europe had any recollection of the Blood Mages? Barring that, were their existance so feared that all metion of the was eradicated everywhere? I mean, most psychopaths would be willing to go to South America if it meant getting their hands on magicks that destructive, and you pointed out that some base bloodmagics survived in the form of the Purity Ritual, so shouldn't Tom at least been aware of it?

And a conjecture about Grindelwald: How on EARTH was Dumbledore willing to sacrifice as many lives as needed to make himself out to be the Savior of the wizarding world but still be incapable of killing Grindelwald? I mean, ripping someone's magic free from them would create a certain amount of fear, but why the HELL didn't Dumbledore make him suffer publicly? It would do so much more for solidifying his Don't-Fuck-With-Me position as THE Savior more than simply defeating Grindelwald. I mean, with his magic gone, how would he escape unless Dumbledore allowed him to?

One other main point is to the continuity of the timeline; From what I can tell, the Bellatrix-Tom/Voldie scene is about two weeks before Harry's birthday, but only two or three days pass between that and the end of the latest chapter, meaning Harry will be in the chamber for a full week before his birthday (and therefore the ritual to prevent him from being reblocked by Dumbledore). Is this correct? And if not, would it be possible for you to put a timeline of when all of the different scenes in the chapters are in the Author's Notes for the next chapter?

Just a small note: how many groups of blood mages were wandering around in the day? You refer to the "Scottish Blood Mages" as passing down the blood purity test, but the "Blood Mages that had once populated Wales" had Slytherin as "their greatest prodigy" in Chapter four; are these two separate groups, or one group that moved regions, or different groups in different time periods? If so many Blood Mage groups were out there, how did they get exterminated?

One brief question: How long does it take Fawkes to recover from a burning day? Will Harry have to deal with Fawkes (and therefore the Headmaster) again before his birthday? I don't know if this is a spoiler or not, but it is something that has been bugging me. I mean, is the Burning a monthly event, Quarterly, or just whenever the Phoenix damn well pleases?

Thanks for humoring my questions; I can't wait for the next chapter!

17. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Right...Yojorocks, you're forcing me to write a long reply :p

As explained in the fic, Lily's parents were both Squibs. Being the last of their respective lines, and in the period of Grindelwald's rise, they moved into the Muggle world. Had kids, etc, etc, then promptly died :p. Neither renounced their ancestry, since they were the last of their line, and they knew that their children were the only ones who could carry on their legacy. Since both were squibs, that automatically makes them lower in the eyes of most Purebloods, and they weren't an important family (the Crowens). Since they vanished into the Muggle world, and the war against Grindelwald was going on, it was easy for them to hide and change their identities. Going from that, it was just assumed that they died out. But nothing was done about the vaults, etc, because as I mentioned in the fic, the Crowens swore fealty to the Potters centuries ago, thereby making it Potter money anyways. If you really want, you can think of it as the 'Unspeakable/Mercenary' nature rubbing off on Lily's Dad, which would answer to why he was able to adapt to Muggle society so easily. Remember, I'm going with the idea of over 20,000 Purebloods in England, so one family that isn't on the Wizengamot doesn't really matter. It would have been assumed that they fled, or were killed.

Yes, Flamel gave Dumbledore a fake stone, and they both knew it was fake. Now, the stone was inside the Mirror of Erised, so that's one reason that Tom didn't know immediately that it was fake. I assume that Tom knew that Harry had the stone through legilimency, and since Harry was (at the moment) under the impression that he DID have the real stone, Tom was fooled too. By the time he wold have figured out that it was fake, Quirrel was already being burnt to death. Also, since this is a plot-hole that I'm trying to cover up :)p) just pretend like Dumbledore is powerful enough (maybe through Hogwarts) to give the stone a fake aura of power).

Magical oaths and contracts are based on a penalty system, according to the way I've done it in Chimera. Harry swore not to tell the secrets of the Metamorphmagi to anyone but a full Metamorphmagus on pain of death. So if he violates that verbal contract, as soon as he has revealed the secret, he would die. In Chimera, I've made the magical system complex enough that Dumbledore couldn't possibly make an oath on Harrys behalf...and in any case, I don't believe in Dumbledore being foolish enough to try something like that. Remember, he's literally a genius, nowhere near stupid enough to try something like that. In Incubus, Dumbledore is a good guy, so he wouldn't try something like that anyways. Harry was just playing on Tom's emotions in Chapter 2 of Incubus.

Sure, Tom scoured the lands for powerful magicks, and learnt them. But Blood Magic is different as per what I'm writing. Blood Magic was invented in Scotland, and it was a closely guarded secret that was kept between the tribe that Salazar comes from. Sure, mentions of it exist, but it was a well-kept secret, and was never revealed. It died out with the tribe...here you can make up what you want...famine/stealth attack/whatever as the reason. As I said, the Blood Mages let out tiny portions of their knowledge to regular wizards, just to make things easier, like giving oaths, magical contracts, etc. Nothing offensive or defensive was let out, and I'll make this clearer when I introduce silent blood magic in a few chapters. So, Tom is aware of it, but utterly incapable of using it, because Salazar didn't teach him. As of now, Harry and Salazar are the only ones who know any Blood Magic...I might include Tonks and Cho to some extent, just some minor knowledge.

Sacrificing a life is different from taking it. While Dumbledore might be strategically crafty enough to let some people die for his plans to move forward, I'm casting him as the hero with a bunch of black marks. He will never take a life...notice he doesn't attempt to kill Voldemort, just subdue him or chase him away. He has Harry to take the fall for 'killing', due to whatever bigoted, superioristic ideals he has about killing. So he essentially turned Grindelwald into a toothless viper...Grindelwald has no weapon against the Magical world, and if he's smart enough, he wouldn't show his face in public, for fear of being killed/lynched/whatever. Basically Dumbledore just has a holier-than-thou attitude, and he will not kill, though he would be perfectly happy if the Knight Bus ran over Grindelwald. But there's no reason to expend energy on the man, now that he's got no advantage, and never will.

I'll put a timeline in the next chapter. But for reference, the last chapter ended with a little less than 2 weeks to go until Harry's birthday. Remember, those two weeks will be a good 2 months or more, due to the Chamber time being different. Harry was at Privet Drive for 2 weeks and a few days, then took off.

Ah...you have spotted a plot hole >_< Yeah, the Blood Mages were from Scotland, not Wales. I meant to write Scotland, and seem to have missed quite badly. As I said above, you can dream up your own reasons for why they died out...I'm looking at some sort of revenge-killing as a nice one :)

Fawkes takes 2 weeks to regenerate to the point where he can fire-travel and fly about properly. This was the point...Harry knew that it would take 2 weeks, as Fawkes had just regrown from when he exploded at the DoM. Now, the bird will take another 2 weeks to regrow, and by that time, it'll be too late for Dumbledore, because Harry will have gone through his maturity already. I'll just go with the idea that a Phoenix has a regular burning day once every 6-8 months or so :/ Harry robably will have to deal with Dumbledore again before the maturity (perhaps not...), but not with Fawkes.

I don't mind the questions at all...frankly, it lets me see where I've fucked up, gives me some good ideas for the future, and lets me put my own writing into perspective. Thanks for that.

If anyone has any more questions, just go ahead and post them here, I'll do my best to answer them...unless you picked out a plot-hole that I missed :(

18. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Do you plan to update this or Incubus next?

19. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Probably Incubus, as I have some 6500 words of that done, and I haven't started Chimera yet.

20. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

w00t! Just my opinion but I think you put more effort into Incubus even though youi claim Chimera is your main fic. DUnno why, but Chimera just seems half hearted. Also, no offence, but I think you're trying a tad too hard for plot twists as that last scene literally came out of nowhere. As in no earlier thoughts and shit on what she wanted to do.

I don't think you'd obliviate yourself on the spur of the moment.

Anyway, hope you update soon! Both are awesome fics.