1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The 'Dangerverse' by Whydoyouneedtoknow - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Ched, Oct 12, 2010.

1. brad

brad Third Year

It's written extremely well and has a lot of plot ... complexity? ... going for it. But like others here I found myself more and more irritated by the sheer 'artificiality' of it all(*). The story is full to the brim with super-duper contrivances to help the good guys. In addition to all of Harry's abilities I disliked the super-powers that *everyone* in Harry's extended family are granted. But above all else I found myself detesting the mystical hookup that 'Danger' - the (Mary Sue?) OC leader - is given. Every major plot arc is presaged with a prophecy or two which is express delivered to her in advance, making everything that much easier for the good guys, a case of just filling in the dots. It was fun at the start but Harry and his chums have been given way too many advantages in this series to take this story as seriously as its calibre of writing warrants.

(*) As a special case of the artificial nature of the plot I abhor the *automatic* alignment of the kids' romantic relationships with Rowling's simplistic OBHWF configuration. The minor relationships pan out first, happily and completely coincidentally leaving Harry to link up with Ginny. Why? All we know is that *everyone was expecting it* to happen, and then lo! It does! Harry is with Ginny because ... IT'S GINNY!!! And then ditto for the last piece of the author's/Rowling's simplistic everyone-gets-a-mate, no-one-is-attracted-to-someone-already-taken scenario. Ron is the only male who can give Hermione solace ... BECAUSE IT'S RON. Ugh.

2. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

:facepalm

The H/G "out of nowhere!" argument - aside from not, in fact, coming out of nowhere - has been done to death.

What Phase of fanfiction reader preferences did Taure call this again?

3. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I tried this fic back when I first discovered FFA and started going through the various archives there and liking what I found as a general rule. This entire 'verse was the huge fucking exception to the rule. Even back then when my tastes weren't very developed this fic made me want to rip someones eyes out.The only one that even compares is that Abraxan chicks horseshit. Between the wuv-u's and the perfect world syndrome, this fic makes me homicidal to the extreme. It's a pity, really, because why actually has a few decent fics scattered here and there. This entire 'verse just isn't any part of that.

This is 1/5 for technical soundness as mentioned earlier.

4. Smore

Smore Third Year DLP Supporter

Pretty much sums up my attitude toward this fic completely.

1/5

5. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I just want to mention in relation to the poster who mentioned the advantages given to the heroes; the villains and the heroes get cop-outs all the time.
    Its not a one-sided thing.
    Just saying.

6. brad

brad Third Year

Do you really think so? That's not my recollection. The good guys have a direct tap into the spirit world / Godly realm, they inherited nifty powers, they have their super-gadgets, etc. I don't recall the Death Eaters having anything like that.

In particular it's the express delivery of prophecies straight to Danger in every story which I think is especially unbalanced. The good guys are given many of the clues needed to work things out, hints as to what to do in order to prevail.

Didn't she, a few chapters ago, prevail upon the 'gods' for some extra help, trading part of her life for same? And the Founders, after she left them, decided it would be a minimal cost, God bless 'em.

And just the last chapter one of them turned up out of the blue to temporarily change the rules for her, putting one of her limits into abeyance so she can rescue her husband (Lupin).

It's written very well and certainly worth reading, but the preponderance of 'advantages' for the good guys and the shipping-decisions-on-automatic-because-it-just-IS gets a bit wearying.