1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Dark in Peace by TheEndless7 - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Sesc, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

EDIT: MOVED FROM THE ALMOST RECCED THREAD.

That said, you'll have to tell me how Pansy and even more importantly, Hannah, can be OOC if we don't really know anything about them from the books. Also, clearly the story does not follow DH: There was no battle in Oxford there. So it's a Post-HBP-Post-Hogwarts story, and as such, I don't see what is wrong with Harry's character either.

2. Darth Kali

Darth Kali Third Year

This. Plus I bought in to the explanation that something happened to Pansy to push her towards muggle drugs and night clubs. We have no way of knowing how the dynamic of the relationship worked, plus the fact that we have the interview with her parents to give us an insight to how much pressure she was under to return to an abusive relationship just because of who the other person was. So I don't find it OOC. I don't find Hannah becoming an Auror OOC, since she was in the DA and likely fought with the seventh years at the Battle of Hogwarts. Just because she's a girl and a Puff does not mean she has to follow the fanon of becoming a healer at St. Mungos. (is that fanon? I know it's not in the Epilogue.)

Also, from reading, I was under the impression that the Battle of Oxford happened AFTER the BoH. Still...

3. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Same - I thought it was the then-dead Voldemort's last supporters (and their dumbass mercenaries) putting up a last stand.

Hannah married Neville in the end, and she became the land lady of either the Leaky Cauldron or the Three Broomsticks. I can't remember which.

Neville became a teacher at Hogwarts, though I think he served a small stint as an Auror - not too sure, there.

4. Sesc

Oh, the battle was later? Then I have to re-read.

But still, the information about Neville and the rest of the cast, aren't they only post-DH comments by Rowling, even? That isn't really what I would consider relevant enough to even warrant an AU-tag for divergence.

No, I get the Muggle-feeling to a degree, e.g. I agree that it would be more interesting to have magical apartments, as I said; but you can't claim that the story lacks magic. At least not where the Aurors are concerned, and that's a huge chunk of the story already.

5. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

The magic is just a backdrop/tool and has no deeper meaning here. Magical society isn't just muggle society with a wand.

6. Sesc

So did no one read the updates? I just caught up on the story.

My assertion hasn't changed; there's still odd quirks in the writing (sighing should be banned, seriously), the point with the magick-y feel won't have changed, while on the flip side, it's a rock-solid mystery, and what makes it shine are the characterisations.

I'm really enjoying Harry oscillating between the various women around him. They all have a different character and a backstory, sometimes only sketched up in a few sentences, but still quite effective. The scenes with Ginny, Luna or even Daphne and Hannah at times aren't relevant for the plot at all, but I like reading them because the characters are interesting. That doesn't happen too often in FF.

7. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

Got updated.

8. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

No update yet, sorry. Spoilers are in this post. Not that there's much to spoil.

I've finally read this. I started it when it was recommended, but left it alone after a few chapters for reasons forgotten. I've caught up to where the story currently is and am not feeling it as much as others have.

I like the little bits that Sesc mentioned: wand identification through Ollivander, Squib go-betweens, etc. But I'm hating the characterisations of the majority of the cast. Conversely to others, I'm kinda happy with this Luna. She's a bit damaged after Malfoy Manor. That works for me. Daphne, too, is reasonable from the little we've seen. The rest, not as much.

Harry's kinda sleazy. Harry and Hannah sleeping together after the Oxford battle was perfectly understandable. He felt remorse, but continued anyway. Okay, fine. But it escalates to the point where he, Hannah and Ron have cheated on significant others without feeling any remorse anymore. Harry doesn't care that Ron cheated on Hermione for almost a year, to the point where Ron was intending to marry the girl. Truthfully, at least a third of the story appears to be Harry drinking and trying to bed someone. He's thinking about sex half the time he's working in the later chapters. A lot of elements to the characters could have been a nice backdrop to the mystery if there was something to it.

Basically, the mystery has gone nowhere. There's no atmosphere of mystery or intrigue. There's zero sense of urgency about the case. Harry and Hannah muddle about for four or five days with little to show. I cannot see how this mystery can cause the wizarding world to be 'divided', as the summary states, when we're 68k words in and have accomplished practically nothing.

Two dead bodies. No idea what killed them. It isn't Malfoy.

It would be an involving mystery - no idea what killed two witches, with no magic seemingly involved - if the atmosphere was different. Maybe.

A lot details seem to have been thought of after the first few chapters were written. This is really obvious, to me at least, in regards to all the relationships/sex side of things.

I want to like it. Post-Hogwarts mysteries are an under-explored genre (from what I've read at least). I can't even think of any off the top of my head, let alone good ones. The best I can give this at the moment though is 2.5. The pieces of a decent story are there. However, they aren't meshing in a good way.