1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Dark Tower by Stephen King

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Pikachu, May 23, 2023.

1. Pikachu

Pikachu Banned

Stephen King is one of my favorite writers, but I only liked Dark Tower 1-4. The Gunslinger was the most atmospheric for me. What do you guys think of the series?

2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Drawing of The Three was peak Dark Tower. Wizard and Glass was the last good book. 5 started the downhill run that 6 and 7 turned into a gallop toward how awful it could go.

3. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Yeah I kinda enjoyed the first three.

I have no idea why this series is so loved by people.

4. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Same. I might have to give it a re-read at some point, I felt like I must be missing the point or something for it to be so loved. Maybe I was too young when I read the series.

On my initial reading of the first two books I remember them as... "fine"? I didn't dislike anything, but I can't remember a damn thing about them, which isn't a sign that they were particularly compelling.

5. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

It's possible the series is a product of its time... and drug-fueled near-insanity on the part of its author.

The Dark Tower is a fantasy epic diguised as a western sci-fi meta-fiction uber-story, crossing over with a dozen or so of King's other works long before the world had heard the term 'MCU'. It was also the product of a very, very, very long period of King's life, starting in the mid-70s and finishing a couple years after his accident.

I believe the last 3 volumes are a direct product of his need to finish the story, rather than waiting for the muse to speak.

It was created in a time before cell phones, the internet, summer blockbusters, and if I remember right, even before any of King's works had been adapted (Carrie might be the exception). It finished in a world with all of those, and the shifting tone, genre and overall milieu is also a reflection of the change King himself went through in that time.

I remember reading the last 3 as they came out, and devouring them. But I haven't picked any of them up in about 10 years. I imagine my attitude and needs as a reader have shifted.

The series is not overrated, I'd say, but much like Friends, which was mind-blowingly popular at the time it aired and is now seen by many as cringey, it is a product of its time, and that time has passed.