1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Dying Embers by Kalistar - Star Wars - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Skeletaure, Apr 2, 2006.

1. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

This is one of the best SW crossovers I've ever read. It deals with (in my not-so-humble opinion) the best of the Starwars games. And it explains a few of the plotholes in KOTOR and KOTOR2.

2. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

I agree that this is the best SW crossovers that I have read. I loved this fic when it first started but some of the recent chapters seem to have gone down hill. Sirius is to angsty for my taste. Harry is well done though. The Harry/Basila(sp) romance seems good enought. So far this seems to be an above average fic.

3. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I liked the latest chapters as it showed that force users are not to powerful, that they can still be hurt. I also like the insight into both Lily and Sirius reasons for not wanting to kill Death Eaters.

4. Dark Lord Shabranigdo

Dark Lord Shabranigdo Fourth Year

Truth be told, I thought it seemed more like Star Wars with a splash of Harry Potter than Harry Potter with Star Wars implemented.

The Mandalorian wars were far too lengthy for comfort. I had to try three times to read through to encounter on Earth.

Otherwise, it's a good read. Though I wish someone would have Harry already know magic, and then send him to the Knight sof the old Republic universe. But that's just me.

A kotor is a classic in my mind. The sequel had better powers and items, but the plot was less interesting.

5. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

SPOILERS

One thing I noticed recently, while Revan and Bastilla are sleeping in Godric's Hollow, Bastilla is actively working to manipulate Revan's mind with that Battle Meditation thing.

END SPOILERS

That's what I noticed as the reason for Revan's change.

6. dark.itachi

dark.itachi First Year

I thought it was pretty good, even after it got deleted twice then moved to another author to be posted its third time, but it did a better job while it was in the star wars kotor galaxy. Frankly I think that once it hit the HP world it kinda went bland and not nearly as good as how the original author portrayed the madalorian wars. Well I guess its one of the better star wars crossovers, but it was dissapointing to see it fall flat on its face. :(

7. nuck

nuck First Year

this is the only SW crossover with HP that takes place in the kotor verse which makes it good.

8. Vincent V

Vincent V Slug Club Member

Best SW crossover I've read in a long time.

9. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

Its been updated...

I liked this chapter, only hope that Revan and Bastilla wont be trained in magic.

10. Vincent V

Gotta agree with Lord A. on this one. If Revan gets trained in magic, it will make this story so much worse.

11. Brooklynight

I don't think that the fic ill be totally ruined if Harry learns magic but it won't be as enjoyable. If Kalistar needs a reson to get Harry to Hogwarts I'm sure that there is a better one then him becoming a student.

The latest chapter was alright, I though the interaction between Harry and Bastilla was rushed though.

12. I dont think it will make this fic worse if Revan learns magic but I dont really see the point. He's already the Dark Lord Revan what purpose would it serve to teach him magic? At best he would just learn some different ways to kill people and hes already really good with the ways he has.

13. Vincent V

New chapter is up. I liked it. There was a battle scene that I thought was pretty cool.

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

The thing I don't like about Kalistar's fics is blatant bashing of Potterverse and Wizards in general. I mean, it's pretty obvious that HP magic is much stronger and more diverse than anything the Force has to offer. What's so special that Jedis can do? Swinging sword and cast a few wandless charms. Pff, big deal. Dumbledore should be able to conjure/animate an army and wipe floor with any wannabe Jedi he comes across.

Other than that, rather god story so far. It's nice to see someone being able to produce a conflict between 6-7 relatively independent factions and make it believeable and easy to follow.

15. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I think that the real advantage Jedi have is that they dont need wands and also their lightsabers can deflect any spells, even the unforgivables so even if they can do more with magic so can jedi counter it.

I like the latest chapter with Revan embracing both light and dark side. It will be interesting to see what the responce to the fight between Revan and the Order will be.

16. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Wizards can attack without directly launching spells at person: Dumbledore can for example conjure hundred of spikes and banished from all directions, or something like that. And lightsaber can't deflect all of that, but magical shields can. Or animated statues like in ministry. Or for example you can launch large wall of fire. Or launch large waterfall at Jedi and then made person drawn in water like Dumbledore did to Voldemort in Atrium. Magic is not only spells. You need there a finesse, and Jedi won't last a shit. But NO, 90% of dueling scenes in stories includes "launching spells", "dodging beams", "creating shields". How unoriginal :-/

17. Brooklynight

I partially agree with the mob on the issue of portrayal of magic in the fic so far. My problem isn't the power of the force which I think is resonable. The problem is how weak wizard magic is. I understand that an extremly powerful and experianced jedi like Raven could easily defeat the average deatheater or order member buy the way in which Dumbledore was dealt with didn't sit well with me. Dumbledore is protrayed as an idiot in general in this fic and the way in which Raven took him out was way to quick. I could understand them being worthy adverseries but Dumbldore didn't even put up a fight.

The recent chapter was alright. The battle scean was nicely done, better then the average one in this fic but the explaination of the force was rushed. I understand that Raven had an apithany of sort but it should have taken him much longer to change his fundemental beliefs about the torce which has been a part of him for essencially his whole life.

18. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

This is truly an excellent story. Very good descriptions in the action scenes. I've been reading it from the start. Hope this one never gets abandoned. There aren't many good crossovers out there, and believe me, I've read a lot of them. (that includes Sailor Moon cross overs and LoTR crossovers). There just aren't too many good ones.

19. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Indeed, a well done Star Wars/Harry Potter story. At first I thought it'd be another "Okay, lets just rename a character and call him Harry" story, but it turned out very well. I look forward to updates on it (which seem often, the latest being September 12th).

20. Razgriz

Razgriz Guest

This story is the best Harry Potter/KOTOR crossover written so far. It would take a master to beat this fic.