1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Element of Freedom by ZGW - M - Code Geass/Legend of Korra

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Halcyon, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Halcyon

Halcyon First Year

Title: The Element of Freedom
    Author: ZGW
    Rating: M
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Adventure
    Pairing: None
    Fandom: Legend of Korra (with Code Geass elements)
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8273114/1/The-Element-of-Freedom

Summary: He was a nonbender granted a extraordinary gift, control of an element nearly gone from this world and a power all but unknown to it. He will set fire to the unjust world and destroy it's already decaying balance and replace it with is own! For he is Zero! The man that will drag the world into the future and change it forever! Even if his sister, the Avatar tries to stop him.

Basically, it's Code Geass set in the Legend of Korra universe. Lelouch (or Anguta) lives in Republic City with radical ideas and the brains to make them a reality. What he finds in a capsule of "poison gas" may just lead to a revolution...

Most CG characters do not make an appearance, as their roles are satisfied by existing characters from LoK. Lelouch only has one sibling - Korra - who was taken away by the White Lotus at a young age to be the Avatar.

Plot vaguely parallels events in CG, though without, you know, the giant robots. The specifics are refreshingly original (owing to the vast differences in between CG and LoK), making this an enjoyable read. Lelouch's hatred is strong as ever, though less directed at an individual (no Charles, no death of Marianne) and more towards the social institutions as a whole.

Also, Lelouch does not usurp Amon's role - he forms his own faction, and the Equalists still have a presence.

Verdict: Though the name change slightly bothers me at points, I understand the author's reasons. Well-written and interesting, though some of the finer details do not entirely make sense (guns?). 4/5.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  2. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Procrastinating studying for exams, so decided to give this a go. I've never watched any of the Avatar stuff (so required a bit of reading on Wiki beforehand) but still enjoyed this.

That being said, it's not particularly library quality in my opinion. More appropriate in the "Almost Recommendable" thread. The writing style is fairly average, and the storyline, while fun, isn't particularly complex or imaginative (basically rehashing Geass, and I imagine, Avatar as well).

3/5.

3. Betosa

Betosa Third Year

Indeed the storyline is too much similar to the originals (some fights are 100% similar to Avatar), but there was some originality + writing is sufficient for me - I rate it 3.5 .

4. merchantofam

merchantofam Fifth Year DLP Supporter

The story is alright, but much of it felt like a rehash of Code Geass R1 and the Avatar shows. If you're looking for something really out there, then I wouldn't recommend it. However it certainly is a good time waster.

I too believe this should be placed in the Almost Recommended thread. 3-3.5 at best.

5. CrimsonEmperor

CrimsonEmperor Squib

What merchantofam said is the most accurate in my opinion. Its a rehash but it flows comfortably most of the time....
    Usually I really hate fusion fics, but this author has seemingly and somehow fused the series pretty well.

Unfortunately its to the point where you feel like your watching both of the shows at the same time!

Weird.

Good time waster for people who liked both shows.

I hope the author can make this world his own, and stop just rehashing scenes. He's done a very good job fusing the two ideas...

As I liked it, despite its shortcomings, I'm going to be generous and give it 3/5.

Ugh, can't find this forums' spoiler hiding button thing... SO ALERT! Spoiler.

Spoiler:
    The most impressive thing to me so far is that Korra has taken Suzaku's place REALLY nicely!