1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Fanfic Drinking Game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Averis, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If you've been reading Harry Potter fanfiction for the last few years, chances are you've enjoyed an ice cold (or lukewarm, as I am presently) alcoholic beverage while scanning through 150,000 words to find something worth getting drunk to. So, in honor of all us that do the George Thorogood and drink alone, I have decided to introduce the Fanfic Drinking Game.

It's simple. You pick a word (or series of words) that come up quite regularly in fanfiction and everytime that you see that word you drink. I think that you'll find yourself quite drunkilated at the end of a 8,000 word chapter. At the moment I am reading "The Bottom of the Lake" by Gabilian and drinking each time I see the words think and thought, or any reasonable expansion of the two.

I am also quite drunk.

I hope that the rest of you will join me, add your own rules (just throw a word into the mix, be it a character's name or a often-used word) and we'll all get fucked up together. So, go buy a 6.95 12 pack of Busch Light (like I did) and finish it off to your favorite fanfic.

Cheers!

2. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I'm so eager to sit behind my computer and get drunk with a drinking game while reading fanfiction on a children's book series.

3. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Seems like an excellent way to get a headache before the hangover.

4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    As long as you masturbate while you're at it...

(Nice sig/ava btw).

5. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Hmmm. Getting drunk is dangerous currently. I am staying at the house of an amorous friend, and if I consume to much alcohol, she'll try to seduce me, and if I'm drunk, I'll accept, and then I'll lose my Superman version of No Fap October. And I can't risk that.

But when I get somewhere safe, I'm doing this the Alaskan way: with shots of Vodka. I'll probably use the word "broom".

6. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Keep this topic alive, it'll have to wait 'till next week for me.

7. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

If you're game for a little alcohol poisoning, just head on over to portkey, pick a random fic, and drink every time you see the word 'Mione.'

8. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I think I'll go to AFF.net and have a shot every time I see Snape/Harry under new stories.

9. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

That's cheating; ..somehow. :awesome

It has to be a word (or apparently a set of synonyms) that you can't be sure will be seen often in a chapter. It's what makes it a game. Going over to Portkey and picking 'Mione' is like playing that 'Roxanne' drinking game where you drink with the lines 'Roxanne' and 'You don't have to put on the red light.' That's more like a template.

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Picking 'Mione' is like picking "the"; frankly, I don't want my obituary to say that I died while reading fanfiction.

Anyways, No-Fap is this month, NaNoWriMo is next month...too many challenges to undertake.

11. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Yeah I play this game when writing fanfiction. My word of choice is 'beer', which on average (number of words per chapter / number of empty beer bottles) is 400 words a beer.

That... sounds like a lot, actually. Maybe it has something to do with my update rate. Heh. Pretty glamorous life I lead.

12. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I dare someone to do this with an Indi!Harry fic from two years ago with the keyword 'lopsided smile'

o_o

13. Seitou

Seitou Third Year

^ No way, there's too much chance i'd bludgeon myself to death before I drank myself to death. :D

I might be willing to drink every time some variation of the word "Manipulate" comes up though. :awesome That way I can garuntee i'll be dead before suicide occurs to me.

14. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I'd do that shit right now.

The same game with "lopsided grin", however, is a nice quick trip to coma-ville.

15. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

-Snickers-

Fanfic.net, new story submissions, both of the phrases 'Feel his pain' and 'only Malfoy' (Or Snape I suppose).

Drunk inside of five minutes I bet.

16. Havoc

Havoc Seventh Year

I'm going to drink everytime "The kissing was so intense, that they had to come up for air", and many of its variations, is said.

17. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't drink but if someone were to do this with the word "twinkle" I would guess said person would die from alcohol poisoning pretty soon.

18. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Anytime a female OC makes mental note of how green Harry's eyes are. :cheers:

19. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Haha, I'm stoked by the relative success of this thread, although it seems no one has actually done it yet (with the exception of me, of course). As a FDG pro-fessional, I'd suggest picking more difficult to find words if you're taking shots, and reserving the often-used words for when you're drinking beer. No one expects you to whip out the bottle of Tequila and make it through even a chapter of an Indy!Harry fic when you're looking for the word Dumbledore. You're most likely going to end up on the floor at some point; although if that's what you're going for, then by all means...

20. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Try: "It was so wrong -- but it felt so right!"

I'll pray for your liver.