1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Fanfic Snap: would you go Thanos on bad fanfic?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Mar 6, 2021.

?

Would you snap?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

quality depends on comparison. if you only eat Michelin starred restaurants, you don't know how good it is until you've had a greasy spoon. And you've also missed out on the simple pleasure of a hung over meal at a greasy spoon.
    Also, the snap only gets rid of half of the bad things. That seems like futility.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

3. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

No. You can tell by how I haven't deleted my own stories yet.

4. Gorillanator

Gorillanator Squib

Setting aside arguments about subjectivity, cruelty, the necessity of low quality fics to appreciate the great ones... I only get one snap, right?

What I would essentially be doing is wiping out the world's entire supply of shitty fanfic while doing absolutely nothing to extinguish its bottomless demand. In essence, I would be launching a shitty fanfic renaissance.

Every 13 year old with a burning desire for a Voldemort/Colin Creevey mpreg soul bond harem fic, can now write their own, because there's nothing like it on the internet. Lord Potter/Black/Peverell/Gaunt/Griffindor/Slytherin/Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff/Merlin takes down that manipulative old goat Dumbles? Now a fresh take.

Good characterization, strong worldbuilding, and beautiful prose? It's been done, kind of cliche.

That's the reason I'm giving for not snapping, anyway. The truth is everyone would find out all the trash that I subjectively like.

5. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    Bad fics are annoying mainly because I have to filter through them to find the ones I like. I think a one time cleansing could be fun, though not the optimal way of finding good fics. I would feel a bit bad about hurting people's feelings, but honestly the temptation to do it anyway would be great. Not sure what I would choose to be honest.

6. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Logically, I should say no. But it would be hilarious seeing megamatt and co gone. Think of how many would quit if all their stuff disappeared and they'd have to go through the trouble of re-uploading.

7. Dark Lord Prongsie

Dark Lord Prongsie First Year

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!