1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Five Guys Shit Storm...

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Cruentus, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Well, at least something good's come of this colossal waste of time.

2. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4chan is chaos. Sometimes it's dark, vicious, cruel, perverted or just plain evil, sometimes it's on topic and relevant and creative, but sometimes, just sometimes, the angry anonymous FOR THE LULZ crowd does something good and kind and righteous. They stand up for a cause and make shit happen.

Then, of course, they go back to being rude, uncaring, vicious assmunches.

The problem is, many of them are probably not doing it because it's the right thing to do, but because it will piss off the people they hate.

4chan is internet proof that even hate and humorous disregard for common decency can lead to good deeds.

How sad is it that it has to be over things like this?

----------------------

Honestly, I disagree with Sesc. Sleeping around is not a valid tactic. It undermines the concept of earning your success through actual skill/talent and dedication to a cause or passion or hobby or job.

It takes all the honest, hard work of those who go about pursuing their goals and shits on all they accomplish, or rubs that same shit in their faces when they don't achieve something because the person in charge was too busy getting their wick wet.

Sleeping around is not a valid tactic to advance your career, unless you're a sex worker. Then it's perfectly fine.

But I do have to agree with one of his points. As much as I dislike it, it's still a fact of life. People are going to do it. Some folks have no morals or regard for others when it comes to pursuing personal wealth and accomplishment. If you're going to be part of any sort of big industry, you're going to have to get used to that fact.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  3. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Okay, here's the point I made on Twitter: who the fuck has time to care about all of this shit?

Yeah, she cheated on her ex. Her ex retaliated by writing spiteful blog posts that got picked up by the raging assholes that get pissed off whenever a woman does anything in gaming, some on 4chan, some on Reddit, some on the forums where this stuff spreads like cancer. She then responds by pulling the SJW card and Tumblr-activism ignites, which leads to doxxing on both sides and (supposed) RL harassment. Larger media outlets, both within and outside of gaming, start taking notice, and along the way somehow this becomes a conversation about nepotism in the gaming media because apparently she slept with Kotaku writers or maybe she didn't and oh my god the levels of misinformation and 'he said, she said' on this bullshit is fucking insane.

It really doesn't help matters when she then goes and tries to use YouTube's broken Content ID system to block whenever people post shit about her. Got to be blunt, I've been on the end of this too - I've had people outright rip my footage off YouTube, take it out of context, and use it for 'video responses' - but I take comfort in the fact that if I don't give them an iota of attention, they'll fade away or never rise to such prominence where I have to acknowledge them. I get the temptation, but you need to take the high road here and she didn't do that.

So here's my point: nobody's having a fucking rational conversation, and the overarching issue of nepotism in the gaming media has been completely compromised by doxxing, waves of insults, censorship, and a steaming heap of pungent, high school bullshit. Both sides have people making legitimate points, but those points have been obscured by asinine trouser stains on both ends who can't stop stroking their e-peens/e-vaginas. It makes everyone look bad, all because two terrible people started airing their dirty laundry.

Ugh. When this nonsense makes me more depressed than Zoe Quinn's barely adequate video game or the doom metal I'm currently listening through, there's a problem. Back to ignoring this shit.

4. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

So apparently Squishy flat out deleted the thread because he found it legally reprehensible, or something. I'd comment further on that, but I wasn't there for it so I don't know if what he's saying is true. I did go over the thread on SB and things were getting pretty heated, but it still gets me that both sites have stopped the threads, and SB and SV have a lot of cross traffic.

Meh, whatever. I'm probably looking too much into it.

5. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Drop a link to the SB thread, I could use a laugh.

6. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

7. Rudolph

Rudolph Third Year DLP Supporter

Surprisingly enough, one of the very few places that are discussing this (After the first 50 or so pages) civilly at the least is the thread on the Escapist Forums.

Thread located here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.858347-Zoe-Quinn-and-the-surrounding-controversy

Located around page 178, there's an unbiased (As best as the poster is attempting to do) summary so far over this entire situation: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...the-surrounding-controversy?page=178#21303190

8. Cruentus

I had hoped Sessler wouldn't get involved, but apparently he's involved in some way as well.

9. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    I hope he's not one of the 'bribed' ones. I started really liking him after his review of Bioshock Infinite.

10. Rudolph

Almost the entirety of the video game 'press' are involved in some form or another, most either supporting Zoe and/or following orders for the media blackout to occur with the rest being in the opposing camp.

From my knowledge, only TotalBiscuit and Yahtzee are firmly in the Neutral camp with Yahtzee more or less being apathetic about the whole thing.

11. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    I know that. I just don't want him to be one of the fuckers who she slept around with in order to gain favor and preferential treatment. As I said, I really started to like his reviews after he reviewed Bioshock Infinite.

12. Rudolph

Have you been following his twitter?

To regards to the second bit, no one really knows if he was 'bribed' in such a fashion by Zoe. All we can do is hope the fuck it didn't happen :/

13. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Jim Sterling too.

14. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Sessler's twitter is so disappointing. "This is a war on indie devs."

Ha.

15. Cruentus

I am relieved, unsurprised, and amused that Yahtzee is neutral. It fits him so well.

16. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Update: After the IndieGoGo page got hacked several times over the last 24 hours, it's back up. I think for good - but it was a bit of a rollercoaster for a while.

This is the very genuine message from definitely the IndieGoGo team for sure and not some douchebag crusader.

Although the momentum has dwindled over the time period that the page was down, the money raised is still at a respectable $29,000. I hope this goes through. No idea who was behind the hacking. Could have been Quinn or one of her lackeys. Some people are calling Phil Fish out for it. Could have just been a random troll anon.

17. Darth Disaster

High Score:
    In other news...

[​IMG]

For those who don't know. That's Zoe Quinn.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  18. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

That's really long. TL;DR? I started reading it but he kept rambling about growing up as a gamer and how it was decried by the media, etc.

20. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

He basically talks about the us vs them mentality, and the toxic members of both "sides" who are ruining a legitimate discussion that we could be having. Also talks about how twitter is pretty shit for an argument because people end up making judgments on other people based on a 140 character soundbyte. And some things about the media as large as well, who've been pretty dickish about the whole thing.

It generally talks about the response to the controversy than the controversy itself. Good read though.