1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Games We Play by Ryuugi Shi - T - RWBY/The Gamer

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Callagan, Oct 5, 2014.

1. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Just love how fast Ryuuji updates this thing. That and it's very interesting. It actually keeps me wanting to know what The Gamer semblance really is.

2. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Soo I just read this whole thing in a row. Rip, my day, and my eyes.

I'm very familiar with The Gamer, but all I knew about RWBY were from a couple of AMVs. You don't need to know anything about The Gamer to enjoy this fic, since pretty much everything regarding that is explained as well as in the source material, but I imagine knowledge of RWBY would have been fucking sweet.

I liked it. I thought it was good. Ryugi writes some really cool human characters, but I did feel that he digresses way too much. Maybe it's because I was already tired, but I ended up skimming quite a bit, when the protag started ruminating for several paragraphs whenever something new happened. I like that he's logical and thinks things through, but it got a bit too much.

I didn't pay any attention to the update dates, but the fic after the first major arc with the plane seemed to have some directional issues. Then the whole arc with the grandmother was... bizzare. Ryuugi was spinning some serious plot threads all around, everything was a questionmark, and I felt like the protag was getting brainwashed by the granny. It was... yeah, weird.

I did like how the protag grew - from a naive good kid into a more mature and complex individual, and I enjoyed the moments when he was playing the mysterious, omnipotent supervillain the most.

I'll give this a 4/5, although I'm not a huge fan of the more recent plot developments.

Oh, and freaking good cliffhangers. Kept me clicking the next one hour after hour when I was supposed to eat, heh.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  3. invinoveri

invinoveri Third Year

Is it impossible for Jaune to make a declarative sentence? Will he grow out of this? Because this is starting to drive me.. nuts?

4. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

The overuse of ellipses and Jaune's apparent inability to appear in a paragraph without a question mark is really annoying, I agree.

5. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Is it just me, or are the spacebattles mods ridiculously dramatic? Christ.

Anyway, might as well leave a review while I'm here. I'm ambivalent about RWBY, but I like this story and I usually check it pretty often. I'd rate it 4.5/5. It's silly, and over the top, but the writing quality is great, as expected from Ryuugi. Since he updates it every day though, there's definitely some small issues with typos.

6. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

What'd they do this time, overreact to the tamest of titillation?

As for the story, it's not my cup of tea. RWBY never appealed to me, and Gamer-esque stories stink too much of Mary Sue - which is the point I suppose - to be entertaining. Ryuugi's writing is always high quality, but, for some reason, here it really reminds of me of gabriel blessing's In Flight or Hill of Swords, super detailed and super boring; I read twenty or so chapters before giving up because it was such a slog to get through.

7. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

All spacebattles threads are clusterfucks, as far as I can tell, so it's not as if they're worried about standards or something. I thought that our thread for Santi's BWL was bad until I saw the 1822 pages of retarded spam that spacebattles has for TGWP.

But apparently two or three idiots getting mad at each other somewhere in that mess is an offense that might require air raid sirens.

They've locked the story thread for "investigation". A truly complex issue, but I have faith in the CSI:Spacebattles moderation team.

8. Feoffic

That's hilarious. I pity the poor bastard who has to read that thing to find the specific shitposts that caused this mess.

9. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Apparently Ryuugi was 'very understanding'.

More than I would have been. Isn't his thread like, the most viewed thing on Spacebattles right now? After all the nonsense I've seen in that gigathread, I would have told them they have thirty minutes to unlock it or I swap forums.

Seriously, those mods need to unfuck themselves.

10. Feoffic

Yep. TGWP has 7.5 million views, and the closest contender has "only" 2.5 million. There's a handful of others with over a million views, and the only one that isn't a story thread of some sort is the Goomergate thread. After that, there's a huge gulf with most threads barely hitting 200K views.

11. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

So, how long do you all think the thread will be locked?

12. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lol, the very same thought passed through my head. But that's mostly my addiction grumbling, upset about not getting my daily fix.

Useless to speculate, but if it's still locked tomorrow, I hope Ryuugi considers posting somewhere else. Or maybe taking a well-deserved break.

As for my feeling about the fic nowadays: there's still way too much exposition, but I'm really digging the plot, direction and Jaune after the Conquest arc.

13. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I personally have to say that this is probably my least favourite Ryuuji story. In my eyes Jaime got way too many powers and powers up, especially since many of them are so disconnected with the world/abilities that we have seen in the show (the elemental spirits for example are something that in my eyes doesn´t really fit RWBY).

The timeframe is also an issue... doubling his powers in days and hours is something that destroys any feeling of (character/plot) progression and difficulty.

In my eyes the story focuses too much on (getting new) superpowers, slaying new demons, world spanning plots that threaten the survival of the human race, ascending to godhood and too little on the actual scenes/people. (+ I really dislike how the actual character of RWBY are delegated to the background)

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  14. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just Spacebattles being Spacebattles.

15. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There was a whlie where I wished that Ryuugi was posting TGWP and his other stories on DLP instead, but then I realized that he has enough fans on SB that they would flood us worse than Santi's ever did. The last thing we need is a couple thousand Spacebattlers. We might get a few dozen decent members out of that, but it wouldn't be worth the avalanche of shit we would be subsumed in.

16. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Words words words words words. The overwhelming majority of word content in the story is about grinding things. Introducing new skills that are never used again or transform into new skills which transform into new skills which get used once or twice.

I mean, there are some fun elements - I like the parts of the story where Jaune takes people hostage, rips robot girls into pieces, or considers murdering people because of some bloodborne infection. Those are the parts where there's a story and it's kind of interesting.

The rest of the story is wasted on wank. Literally, the gamer aspect just demotes the story. There isn't anything that the gamer stuff that improves the story. Give Jaune's ridiculous power set a group of instructors who pass on skills to him, or some kind of genie in a bottle that gives him this shit to do that's utterly broken, and the story would just be more interesting.

Jaune is a Marty Stu in this. It should go without saying - he's pretty much unflappable and rapidly becomes omniponent. He does fuck up a few things, which is thankfully just enough to keep the story interesting, but yeah, this is a guilty pleasure story. I like it, but fuck is it bloated and bogged down.

4/5

17. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

I used to read this story all the way up through the conclusion of the conquest arc, but have since stopped. My biggest problem with the story that I could no longer deal with was all the monologue and introspection that Juan has. Half of that stuff simply needs cut out since it bogs down the story far too much. It reminded me far too much of the bloated mess the story In Flight became.

It felt like Ryuugi was beating his readers over the head explaining Juan's motives and thoughts instead of taking a more subtle approach of tossing in hints every so often and allowing the reader to put together the pieces and make their own inferences. He treats his readers as if they are idiots, though the majority of them most likely are considering the shit show over on spacebattles. He is definitely shaping his story towards the lowest common denominator among his readers.

3/5

18. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

2/5, sorry I read the first few arcs, and I just find it rather boring. The Gamer cross just doesn't do it for me.

19. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

What news about this story on Spacebattles? How much time does it take to read the last 20 or so fucking pages and ban all offenders in sight?

20. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Initially this upset my routine where I'd read the two story updates on my way to work every morning (TGWP and With This Ring), but by now I've become more ambivalent about the enforced hiatus.

Ryuugi has been spamming chapters every day like clockwork for months, he deserves a break. And hopefully finds a better sense of direction (though the story has gotten better on average since the Conquest thing).