1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Havoc Side of the Force by Tsu Doh Nimh - T - HP/Star Wars

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Hw597, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Ship named Trojan Horse, fml. That gave me a genuine chuckle.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I had hoped that Harry would finally run into someone that he couldn't steamroll apart from Maul - and after this chapter I'm hopeful that the Black Sun will at least prove challenging.

3. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Pff, he has three whole minutes to prepare. He'll be fine!

4. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Watch him bust out a timeturner.

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

As this fic has went on, I started to like it less than when I initially read it.

Probably a lot to do with the very vague, if any at all, sense of direction where this is even going. And the constant curbstomps and insane bullshit that Harry pulls on the majority of encounters with threats from SW is getting pretty stale and boring. Yeah, he has magic, and that makes him pretty powerful in his own right, particularly when you look at the handicap the Jedi have around him, but it now seems like he's one magical trunk away from becoming a fandom cliche.

6. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Well, he did sound supremely unconcerned (that last line gave me a chuckle though). But yeah, it does sound like the Black Sun at least won't roll over like most others. If not, I hope the Emperor starts committing to the game a bit more.

7. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Well, no one beyond really powerful Force users could challenger Harry directly and physically.

But form regular people, organizations like the Black Sun, what they need is for Harry's abilities to become a little more common knowledge, then they can plan around them. No bounty hunter or droid can avoid a faceroll against a wizard, but if they know most of what Harry can do and the plan adequately they could corner him and maybe come out on top somehow.

As long as they don't challenge him directly, at least. Like it or not, a wizard has just too many advantages over regular people.

Either, it shouldn't be too long before Force users start getting involved on either side, I don't think.

8. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Muggle vs Wizard debate in 3..2..1..

Anyway, Force users: if it's anyone but Palpatine then all Harry has to do is Disapparate and they're out cold for days. So, auto-win there.

While, yes, I can see where a powerful wizard could ROFLStomp his way across the galaxy, it doesn't make for a good story, unless it's just crack and even then short crack. At this point there is absolutely no challenge. Hell, even if he was to go toe to toe against Palpatine I'd expect nothing more than half a chapter's worth of fighting before the Sith dies. Then Harry will reach into his cloak and ass-pull a potion to cure everything that's wrong with him directly after.

When it comes to the point where everyone has to fall back on, "Well a wizard could technically do a lot of this, so the author isn't exactly wrong." then we've fallen into the same pitfalls that Indy!Harry did and still does.

Billions of Money - Check

LOLStomp left and right - Check

Hot chick that'll do "anything" for him in his bed - Check

Charmed hideout where nobody will be able to find him - Pending next chapter.

Killing all the bad guys everywhere with near-zero effort - Check

Should I go on? There's lots more. Yeah, I'm done with this fic. If something resembling a plot shows up, someone shoot me a PM. I'd appreciate it.

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Noo Heather. Don't point out the flaws! I'm trying to ignore them!

10. Ched

I'm gonna quote myself from earlier:
    Same thing more or less, for what's coming up. I expect Harry to win, because he should win. But Harry v Maul gave us a general idea of Harry's base power. Neither of them was properly prepared for that particular fight, but it could have gone either way at a few points. Given a rematch I'd expect Harry to win more handily now that he understands force abilities better, but Maul would still have a chance if he could make it a physical fight.

Now sure, their skill sets are different. Things that Maul could do easily (physical prowess) might be things Harry struggles with, and there are many things that Harry could do easily that Maul can't do at all. So it's not a direct comparison.

But I was glad that the small explosion caught him by surprise and actually managed to injure him this chapter. That sort of random, unexpected bullshit is the type of thing that might work against Harry.

11. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Then he promptly pulled out his "anti-head injury" potion and :facepalm

That's my point. We've reverted back to the "It's possible," excuse. Could there be an "anti-head injury" potion in HP magic? Sure. I've seen weirder shit.

One thing though:

He noted that it was his last ass-pull potion for head injuries. From the way the story is written, I can only conclude that Harry will never have another head injury of that magnitude, thus defeating the need for any further potions. Problem solved. If any do pop up, then there will most likely be an "anti-head injury" charm that he happens to know as well, because... "it's possible."

12. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

In my youthful optimism, I had concluded that the line might be subtle foreshadowing of a future problem. I fear your interpretation to be the more likely one though.

13. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

The story might all be that but compared to almost every other SW story this one has charm. It's entertaining. It's witty. It gives the reader an actual good time without feeling insulted by blatant dull crap(Harem...) or is not abandoned.

It's Black Wizard, Star Wars style.

If that's not good enough for you you'll be hard pressed to find alternatives. At least I don't know any better.

14. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

It's high time, that we get a reminder regarding Palpatine and Bellatrix. They are the only ones left, who can truly threaten him and actually blind-side him whenever they will pop up.

15. biloly

biloly First Year

High Score:
    I am legitimately embarrassed with myself that I didn't notice that the first time through.

Yeah, Harry does seem to be doing way too much curbstomping. I'm hoping someone will catch him without a wand so he actually is in danger of losing, but I doubt that will happen. (But even if it does, Harry may simply miraculously be able to use that lightsaber he picked up.)

16. invinoveri

invinoveri Third Year

"Argh! Who are you?"

"Statement: Protocol dictates that the meatbag with the blaster to his head answers the questions."

LOL! HK continues to deliver.

17. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

I might be misremembering, but I seem to recall something from the companion story mentioning the cloners were getting a new base sample to work with. If that's right, then I assume that the challenge Harry will face soon enough will be aged up clone Bella's with some magical talent and whatever Sci-Fi bullshit Palpatine can cram into their bodies.

EDIT: Found it
    So yea. Bella Strike Force Five coming soon to a theatre near you

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  18. Ched

Milicent clones, but yes. IIRC Bellatrix is possessing Milicent, right? Fun times potentially ahead!

19. DiscipleOfPhenax

DiscipleOfPhenax Squib

High Score:
    Ah, this story. A bit of a guilty pleasure, but readthroughs always make me smile a bit. I do think that the author needs to introduce a credible threat to Harry sometime soon though, since he's casually destroyed a fair number of SW villains already.

20. theimmortalhp

theimmortalhp Third Year

Definitely agreed, but I doubt that Harry is capable of defeating someone like Sidious (especially a Sidious with knowledge of magic) particularly easily. I suspect that's gonna be the ultimate threat, although I do agree that a threat needs to be introduced soon.