1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Zeitgeist, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

I get why people don't like her very much as a villain, but Kuvira has my favourite bending style of anyone from either series. Literally everything she does looks cool as hell.

2. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I have significant problems with Kuvira. She feels quite a bit as if she's creative's pet, and considering how often Korra gets sidestepped in her own show, I find much of my dislike and annoyances with the series as we head to finale directed on her.

3. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

All Heil Führerin Kuvira...

4. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Has anyone seen the finale yet?

I've heard mixed opinions on the season, so I haven't started it yet but I heard the ending is quite good. What do all you guys think?

Someone mentioned that Korra ends up with someone unexpected?

5. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Unexpected, but hoped for. Those last two minutes made up for four seasons of frustration with the show at every problem it had.

6. Oinyal

Oinyal Fourth Year

I watched chapters 9-12 in bulk, and I'm pretty satisfied with the ending. Not completely, but I feel good enough about it that I'm not going to nitpick on DLP (at the moment). There were instances when I was actually concerned or awed. Sure, it definitely would have been better if this whole season was stretched over, like, five more episodes, but I think they worked around their setbacks rather well, in the end.

Sokka's and Suki's fates are still a mystery. I guess that'll be answered in a comic or something? All I could think watching Team Avatar try to take down the suit was, "Where's Sokka when ya need him?" Sokka would have told them right away that it needed to be taken down from the inside, like the drill.

It's interesting how they handled Korra's love interest. The writers probably didn't have her and Asami kiss or anything to leave it ambiguous. For those who want them together, it's heavily implied that they are/going to be. For people who like their friendship, they can see the ending as a beginning of a wonderful bestie adventure. I actually thought they were teasing the Asami/Korra supporters when they had Korra blush in one of the previous episodes, like how they teased Zutara fans, but nope. Guess not. I hope someone does fanart of Bolin's and (especially) Mako's reactions when they hear about them together.

And I can't leave this without mentioning Varrick and Zhu Li. What, Varrick, no carved necklace? Also, Lady Zhu Li Moon and Sir Iknik Blackstone Varrick? Bwhaha.

7. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

This season was lukewarm at best and while the finale wasn't all I hoped it would be, it was... satisfying.

For one, I hate that we didn't get to see much of Toph being awesome (though I guess this series was for the young 'uns, and it would've been kinda unfair to have them one-upped by Team Aang but still). Another disappointing thing was that we didn't get to see much of the Fire Nation at all - it would have been a poetic twist in a way - in the first series they were the aggressors and this new world it would have only been fitting to have them fight against the same sort of dictatorship they had fought for years back. Kuvira as a villain could have been so much more, but the Hitleresque parallels they settled just made her into another paper-cutout bad guy (or gal) in the end.

On the other hand, one of the things I disliked through season 4 sort of made sense in the end. Korra's suffering and feeling of weakness from the start of the season prepped her for dealing with Kuvira once she was beaten - I was all ready for a final throwdown but I guess things work as they are. For the finale itself - it wasn't the best, but it had so many good things going for it. Prince Wu being awesome in his own unique way, Varrick and Zhu Li doing the thing, Hiroshi's heroic sacrifice, Mako's almost-heroic sacrifice, Meelo in the eyespot of the mecha-giant grinning stupidly at Kuvira - there was a certain more... personal element to this finale than any of the others in my opinion. However, as far as I am concerned the best part happened in the last two minutes or so:

Korrasami!

If they had kissed I probably would have died and burst into a rainbow. The creators of the series should do just one more episode so I can see the look on Mako's face.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The season was pretty shit overall, but the last couple eps had their moments. Especially that last minute of the finale...

Kudos to Mike and Bryan. I tip my proverbial tri-corner to you. Sure you might have been doing it just to appease your most vocal faction of shippers, but that doesn't change the fact that, on a show geared mainly towards adolescents, concluding the romantic pathway of the MC with a scene steeped in strong lesbian overtones is a pretty bold and laudable move.

---------- Post automerged at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 AM ----------

Edit: Relevant Tumblr posts from the writers. :nyan: Korrasami is confirmed canon. :nyan:

Dimartino

Konietzko

9. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

so I'm assuming getting into this show now was a bad move yeh?

All in all I'm finding this way more engaging than ATLA ever was for me. I watched Avatar a number of times with my kid sister, but I'm really enjoying this! It feels more... grounded, for lack of a better word.

And frankly the fact that there's a female protagonist makes me happy. She's easier to identify with than Aang ever was though, dick or no dick, and that's good too.

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I never got why people seemed to be uncomfortable about reading/watching something with their opposite gender as the protagonist, or why people thought that no boy would read the Harry Potter series since JKR is a woman. It never even crossed my mind. Gender isn't even something I think about when reading something like Pride and Prejudice or The Hunger Games, it's just another fact like the fact that Harry has black hair and glasses.

11. The Iron Rose

I never said I was uncomfortable with it. I only said that it's easier to identify with her, especially given the relative lack of female protagonists in other media. It just makes me happy to see someone like me, because I don't see that all that often.

Like, I'm a smoker right? I'm also 19. Whenever I see a movie or read a book aimed at my demographic and the main character is a smoker, I feel this remarkable sense of perverse happiness. I feel represented.

It's terrible of course since smoking is terrible for you, but being female isn't.

I by no means have any problem identifying with a male protagonist - if I did I'd essentially have to step out of 80% sci-fi/fantasy genre forever. I'd be unable to read and enjoy a lot of good books if I did that. Really though I simply like it more when the protagonist is like an underrepresented side of me. Female, gay, a smoker, whatever it happens to be! It's nice. Not really anything more than that, it's just simply nice to see an underrepresented but fundamental part of you reflected in the media you consume.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  12. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

I had a little Legend of Korra marathon yesterday. Watched Book 2-4 in a row. I loved the lore in Book 2 and the story of the creation of the Avatar. And in the end, I thought it had a really great overall story arc.

Normally I am not much of an emotional person, but season 4 really got to me. The episode 'Korra Alone' was excellently written. And the last moments of the final episode were a bit unexpected, but after I thought about it, made a lot of sense.

Still, I am sad to see the show end, probably forever. But I am hoping for some comics or something.

13. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I feel like you've been living under a rock or are regurgitating feminist rhetoric from the 90s if you think that there's a dearth of female protagonists in mass media today. Some of the biggest media hits over years have featured females in the lead such as: Hunger Games (books and movies), Divergent (books and movies), Twilight (books and movies), The Vampire Diaries, Sex and the City, Amélie , Nikita, and many more. Go to any YA section in your local bookstore and realize that most books written for that age range feature female protagonists nowadays. I'm not saying they've gotten to the point where it's perfectly balanced -- but I don't think that's possible unless they meticulously try and make it 50% female and 50% male leads.

I just think the only way gender bias will cease to exist is if people stop trying to separate the two genders and make it about the story and plot and acting instead of if the main character has a vagina or a penis.

14. The Iron Rose

Please tell me where I did anything more than say "It's nice" that young girls have a hero to look up. That doesn't strike me as making Korra about anything other than the story and the plot. It was simply me going "Hey! I really like this piece of media! The protagonist is a woman too! That makes me happy." I'm by no means saying things haven't improved, but you still don't see nearly as many shows (especially ones rates G!) with female protagonists as you do shows with male protagonists.

So please note that I'm literally saying nothing about the plot here. If a protagonist is male, that doesn't hamper any enjoyment I derive from a work. If a protagonist is female though, I might enjoy it a bit more than I would otherwise since I can go "Hey! This person is like me!" It's usually not even a conscious thought, and we all do it. I would also note that especially among programs aimed at a specific age, it's really important for people to feel that way. Especially for kids.

I think that we're making decent progress to having a degree of gender equality in content aimed at kids and young adults, but we're by no means there yet. In the interim, I'll continue to enjoy things that represent me. You're perfectly welcome to also enjoy things that represent you. Women historically have been and are still today shut out of the picture on all sorts of TV shows. There are many examples of popular works with female protagonists, but there are literally endless ones with make protagonists. I'm not advocating that we do anything to those shows! I just thing it's nice to have a bit more representation of everyone going on, so I'm going to just quietly continue enjoying shows with protagonists like me. You're welcome to do the same, and to be honest I really don't understand why me liking protagonists 'like me' is so offensive. What harm does it do to you?

15. Avierh

Avierh First Year

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  16. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Second link in Khan's post.

17. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've never, ever felt "represented" in anything I watch. I really don't understand the notion. It's not a factor in what I watch. Hell if there were a character like me in a show I'm pretty sure I and everyone else would hate him.

I haven't watched Korra since the season two finale and I'm even more on the fence about starting again now. Besides all the other problems, the ending (avoiding spoilers is an exercise in futility) sounds like it's just pandering to me. Though it's funny to think of Mako as the guy who turns everyone he dates gay.