1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. brad

brad Third Year

It's vulgarity *is* extreme. That's because its life, and the restraints it has suffered, have been even more extraordinarily extreme. In a bad way.

Imagine being sentient, quite intelligent, but having no hands, no body, being only able to observe. And all you *can* observe, for 364 days a year, is the inside of the headmaster's office. You'd probably go bonkers. And, when you're finally released - allowed to go out into the world - you'd go overboard in trying to handle it all.

I think the Hat's character is a mix of several things - he's got a superiority complex the size of the moon - but that's understandable - he's lived a thousand years, seen we puny mortals come and go, seen us make the same mistakes over and over again. He's spent a couple of hundred years (I think that was the number) being locked up even more than usual.

I think 'restrained' is exactly what the Hat wouldn't be, at the start of this story, when he's finally allowed out of his prison. Or his prisons, plural - first, he's out of the office, can see the world. And then HJ gives him a body.

Do you think the Hat had calmed down a bit by the end of the story? He'd adjusted somewhat, I thought. Even to the idea that he had to 'share' Harry :). And put up with Fawkes. And actually participate, pick a side, in the war. Finally get involved rather than sitting back and snarking at everyone.

Well, the James of canon was something of an arrogant arse in his school days; we're told that he wised up in his last year and Lily rewarded him with her affections. He probably loathes himself to some extent; and thus his fellow conspirators.

I don't think he 'loathes' Harry's contemporary peers. Not until they've given him reason to do so, by their actions (Angelina, the twins). By default he treats them well, although wary of their youthful mindsets.

No, there is a reason. It's because Fred and George find themselves *beaten*. In canon they are never 'defeated' - certainly not by their peers. Their pranks against their mates succeed with no resistance.

And then, in this story, HJ smacks them down. Again and again. And each time the twins respond, incrementally upping the ante.

The twins couldn't handle 'defeat'. It's a perfectly reasonable fanfic extrapolation of what might have lurked in their canon characterisation. We never saw it because they always got away with it in Rowling's books.

2. Jenko

Jenko Banned

High Score:
    The while Twins/Chasers turning into vengeful idiots and their bashing is shit.

Snape character is ruined. Snape is most dimensional character in the series and yet jbern makes him one dimensional.

Sorting Hat is annoying as hell.

The tasks are boring. The dueling scenes are too repetitive.

The ending is rushed. The deaths of Lupin and Dumbledore had no impact.

The Lily/Remus affair was not believeable.

Harry is given an instant character transplant.

Meh but still the best HP fic I have read despite its flaws.

3. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Do you hate HP fanfiction?

4. brad

brad Third Year

But that's not true. While outclassed at the start they adapt, get more clever, continue being more than a thorn in HJ's side. In fact at the end they nearly succeed in discovering Harry's biggest secrets and he comes close to murdering them to stop them. Great tension ... from a pair of vengeful non-idiots whose bashing is certainly not 'shit'.

But that's not true. Snape's 'evil dimension' is given a backstory. He's shown to be a master at playing Dumbledore for a fool. His fights against HJ are tempered by his 'wizards debt', another twist to a character and conflict that is certainly not one-dimensional.

He's simply not the character you know from canon. You know, the bloke who's driven by a twenty-year crush on an old girlfriend - no more and no less. Now *that* could be described as 'one dimensional' ...

But that's not --- no, wait, that's true. As per the author's intent. As distinct from almost any other fanfic which leaves the Hat as a non-entity.

So your grievance here is simply that you, personally, don't prefer stories where the Hat is annoying?

But that's not true. Multiple tasks, all different, all having Harry often lose in the most frustrating ways, the 'bad guys' being clever and duplicitous in getting away with it.

If you like broom racing there's a task in the story for you. If you like duelling and fighting there are tasks in this story for you. If you like things that go BOOM there are tasks in this story for you. If you like obstacle courses there are tasks in this story for you. If you want situations where the protagonist is facing certain death then there are tasks in this story for you.

Much *less* boring than in the canon I think.

But that's not true.

Show us where the different duels are the same. Show us the passages, the spell sequences, which are the same.

But that's not true. Lupin had been an object of tension for HJ throughout the entire book; he had no idea how to relate to the man - a friend to Harry but an adulterer who'd slept with James's wife. Dumbledore was the powerful, kindly and *darn helpful* wizard who was going to work with Harry in defeating Voldemort. Both cut down in the climax of the book. Terrific impact at the time and with huge consequences, even if you have to sit back, close your eyes and wonder for a moment, wow, what's HJ going to do now? At the conclusion of the novel HJ is leading the fight, the brunt of command is on his shoulders, Fawkes, symbol of the Light, has shifted his allegiance to him. "No impact"? No, that's simply not true.

But that's not true. Given how the author delighted in giving us a Lily who *wasn't* like her fanon saint counterpart I think it worked well. Young people fighting a war, woman dissatisfied while her husband is absent ... you didn't find a one-night stand believable? Nor the guilt and tension that followed? HJ trying to work it all out? I find *that* 'not believable'. :)

But that's not -- no, that is true. Most definitely true. Less a 'transplant', though, more a 'graft'.

In fact that is THE ENTIRE BASIS OF THE STORY! From the very first page. A second character is merged with Harry's.

Are you sure you read it?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  5. LinguaManiac

LinguaManiac Seventh Year

High Score:
    The post right above this is both why I no longer post in this forum and why I still follow it. Damn well said! Despite seeing it time and again, despite having done it in the past, I can't believe you had to.

6. Kanazak2

Kanazak2 Muggle

This was one of the most memorable stories I've ever read.

I really enjoyed just about everything with regards to the style and ideas.

Haven't really seen anything quite like it before or since.

First-person is a perspective many authors struggle with, but you used it flawlessly here.

The Sorting Hat's word-choice was quite unique; it really stands out as, in my opinion, the most interesting characterization of the Sorting Hat in all of Harry Potter fanfiction, simply because it's so... strange... yet makes a lot of sense, if the Hat is aware of the passage of time and sentient. I can barely comprehend the level of interaction-starvation he must experience...

7. mart3183

mart3183 Squib

Most likely the fic I've reread more times than any other. I love the characters, especially the sorting hat. It cracks me up every time. The best tri-wizard tournament fic ever! Even though the fic can stand alone, I'm still sad the sequel never got to se the light of the day.

8. endsley_17

endsley_17 Squib

High Score:
    You can’t go wrong reading anything by jbern. Really just go fucking read it. This post is mainly to figure out which one of you little pus filled maggot shits didn't vote the fic that gave us Hat (5/5)!?!?! I mean come on this fic has action, mystery, drama, comedy and romance, it’s the whole fucking package!

And to tell Jim to get his ass to the computer and start bleeding on the fucking (or fracking) keyboard Because I demand entertainment!

9. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

#Wengerout

10. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

After recommending Megamatt, you don't have a leg to stand on.

11. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

You and I obviously went to target different high schools if teenagers at your school didn't duck around and brag about it.

12. robin000

robin000 Squib

High Score:
    I agree. While no story is ever perfect, this certainly makes it into the stories which I can tolerate rereading. I've not read this in a while. If I remember correctly, my only minor gripe with this story is the fact that once Harry has done the obligatory hysterics, he accepts the situation of a memory graft/transplant, call it what you will, far too easily. I imagine the sorting hat somewhat offset the potential backlash of James's memories by being with Harry. But still, I think more could have been made of the issue.

---------- Post automerged at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------
    Erotic Adventures of S
    Can I just ask, what's the quote regarding defeat from? Looks like something I'd want to read.

13. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

14. robin000

robin000 Squib

High Score:
    Thanks. I'll give it a whirl. Actually, just had a quick look and I've read it before. Just didn't recognise it. But, again, thanks for linking it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  15. Pedro

Pedro Looked into the void

High Score:
    The twins characterizations are completely awful in the fic. They are not gonna go from loving Harry as one of their brother to what jbern had them do.

The Dumbledore death scene was completely lacking and last few chapters were rushed.

16. Kesec

Kesec Squib

High Score:
    A very humorous and essentially cathartic read where Harry no longer decides to take the abuse sent his way – whether it is the Dursleys, the students or Dumbledore – and thanks to the memory graft now has the power to follow through.

The strongest point of the story (and the author in general) is the sheer creativity that a magical world can offer. For readers well versed in fics set in GoF, a story that does not rehash the same Three Tasks from canon is simply refreshing.

The story loses its flavour very quickly on subsequent re-reads, and eventually the technical flaws overshadow the positives.

17. brad

brad Third Year

Yes. I doubt anyone would be able to go back and re-read GoF, with its tame and boring three tasks, after consuming this tale.

I have the opposite reaction; I'm always happy to read The Lie I've Lived another time or three.

I feel that one of the highlights of the novel lies in the sheer amount of *energy* that the author manages to infuse into the action scenes (and there are a lot of action scenes!). I was always disappointed in Rowling's superficial treatment of magic - you wave a stick, say a couple of nonsense words, there's a FLASH and a BANG and hey presto you have a result. No real sense of *power*, of energy required, of *effort*; Harry waves his stick, Hermione waves her stick, unless you stuff it up you get the same generic result. Folk on the level of Dumbledore and Riddle seem to earn their reputations as 'powerful wizards' by simply being able to memorise a vast repertoire of spells, using magic in innovative ways.

In The Lie I've Lived the magical battles are a whole different thing indeed. Maybe it's a level of detail that some HP readers would find boring ... but it's the action scenes which I think make the story an excellent candidate for a re-read. Because the sense of frenetic energy and 'battle tactics' embedded in those scenes are pretty darn exciting on every perusal.

I just know I get more of a kick out of the spell usage in The Lie I've Live - partially due to that 'creativity' you mention, Kesec, and partially due to the author's detailing the wear and tear on the players, the effort expended, the lengths to which they have to go - than in Rowling's relatively feckless wand waving.

18. GirlUniverse

GirlUniverse Disappeared

High Score:
    It's a good fic but there are a few things that are cons for me. First is Harry's prank war with the twins. I didn't really like how jbern protrayed the Weasley twins in the story. Another big gripe is the whole Lily cheated with Remus plot. That really made me shake my head.

19. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

I doubt that statement very much.

20. brad

brad Third Year

Well, I'm also jaded on much of the HP canon and the series as a whole due to all of Rowling's mistakes and poor writing. Plus I didn't read the books as a child, so I don't have any bias rooted in a nostalgic childhood that would cause me to ignore the problems and deficiencies upon another perusal.

When I read GoF the first time the three tasks honestly didn't impress me much, but the cemetery battle and Harry's shock (Molly's comforting him) afterwards did. These days, though, the sorry plot and writing of the last two books, the way Rowling chose to show how Harry handled the trauma and his burden, her poor ending of the series, can't help but colour my perception of her earlier novels.

On its own GoF doesn't have anything close to the level of magical innovation, energy, action, intrigue, bad guys or excitement as The Lie I've Lived. So if that's your thing then GoF - in a straight 1:1 comparison - is pretty tame and boring. And if you're like me and hold that the HP series as a whole crashed and burned then book #4 doesn't stand tall as a middle act or in setting things up for worthy successive novels either.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017