1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

This is book 4 remember? His return is not even denied/suppressed because he hasn't even returned to anyone's knowledge. Canonically he's still a fetus crotch crab carried by Wormtail.

Edit: Well obviously a writer can make anything happen so they could persecute Harry for whatever reason but my point is that it isn't that far fetched and it would actually be enjoyable not reading about the; Oh noes I have to keep this a secret for weak weak reasons! crap.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  2. Void

Void First Year

This is book 4 remember? He returned in book 1 and some people do know about it. Canonically Voldemort was sticking out of the back of Quirrel's head until Harry burned his face off. Dumbledore knows all about it. Canonically, Dumbledore knows, or at leasts suspects, that Harry is a Horcrux. (Everyone time I type that I can't help but think Horton Hears a Who.) Who knows who Dumbledore has told about Quirrelmort. Probably Snape.

In any case, the threat of exposure comes from Dumbledore and to a lesser extent Snape. If Albus Dumbledore came out and said the The-Boy-Who-Lived actually died as a baby and the body of the child was possessed by the Dark Lord who has been biding his time until he could return in all his power do you think the sheeple of the Wizarding World wouldn't have him kissed in a heartbeat? Skeeter's already primed the pump with her first article. Snape just has to tip off his Death Eater buddies and they can use that information against him.

Not that I'm saying that would necessarily be HJ's motivation for keeping it a secret. The way I see it, first HJ wanted to figure out what was going on by himself. After that he definitely wouldn't want Snape to know and why would he tell the man who took his infant son/him and gave him to a family that locked him in a cupboard and mentally abused him anything? HJ doesn't seem to distrust Dumbledore that much, but he did test him on the vaults and in his own words he called him hopelessly out of touch. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a touch of resentment there as well.

Also, it would be much harder for James Potter to run any of the schemes he's cooked up if Dumbledore's aware of what's happened with him. Such as running Snape out of the castle; things Dumbledore would let pass from Harry he'd likely take more notice of from James. And Dumbledore would tell Snape what has happened and Snape would be a thousand times harder on him. HJ has no reason to believe that Dumbledore would act otherwise, since his first year Dumbledore's faith in Snape has seemed unshakeable.

One final thing, so far Snape and the Tournament are the current main threats the story is following. But a lot of the speculation I've been making has been revolving around Dumbledore. This is because I think he's the big IF right now in the story. He could be marginalized or play a larger role quite easily. Is he the manipulative bastard grandfather of canon or the powerful but out of touch Headmaster that we've been shown so far (or he could be going somewhat senile, who knows). Either way he has to factor in HJ's plans even if it's not spelled out to us. Both HJ and Snape can use Dumbledore as a shield from the other in their little war, but HJ has the advantage in that no one knows he's got an extra 20-some years of knowledge in his head.

3. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Right now, I'm committed to AU from book 4. I haven't decided if I'm doing Horcruxes in this one. For the moment, I'm going to concentrate on finishing this one and see where it takes me.

Since there is already a big old horcrux hunt going on in TML, I see no need to repeat myself, but I've got plenty of time.

HJ's mistrust of DD goes deeper than just the Dursleys. He knows exactly why he needs to be there for his protection. What he is resentful over is the prophecy and that knowledge being witheld.

Jim

4. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Here here.

Dumbledore is an unquantifiable enigma. He believes what he is doing is right and will go to any means to accomplish said means.

But...isn't that the same justification Hitler used? It's a loose argument I'll warrant.

Makes me wonder if Harry will ask Fleur to the Ball just to piss her Tinkerbell ass off? :D

The fact is, Harry is a league above most of the champions. He has an entire seven years of school, life as an Auror and experience combatting Voldemort.

In that regard, he can easily whip the others if he can use transfiguration to his advantage.

On the flip side, it does take a lot of magicka-based energy to utilise transfiguration and if it is employed against him, it becomes difficult.

Also, about the Peregrine. It is fastest in a dive but due to such speed, it is also probably very bad at turning when approaching/ cruising at max speed.

And really, just a broom race? That doesn't sound very Triwizardly. Even a 2nd year could win that part so clearly there will be more involved like obstacles/ being chased by horny dragons wanting to sodomise the magi.

As Harry stated earlier, he said he wondered if he was going to end up chasing his own version of Lily Evans. IMO, Fleur seems to mirror Lily perfectly. Same attitude on the surface, same loathing at Harry's arrogance.

But really, Harry has the right to be arrogant. He's vanquished Moldiemort twice, slain a Basilisk, chased off a hundred Dementor's...

Just my own two cents.

Regards
    Aerin Ambrosium

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Where does this come from? I know this isn't based on canon, so unless there's a large amount of magical theory in LIL that I've missed, you're pulling this out of nowhere.

You're right, Harry does have the right to be arrogant, but not because of those things, They are all flukes. The reason why Harry has the right to be arrogant is because he's not Harry, he's HJ.

6. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Well, look at it this way.

It would take a lot of magical energy to change the shape and molecular bindings within something. So if you're softening or hardening it, lengthening or shortening...etc etc. And since conjuring is part of transfiguration...anyone mind telling me how much energy it takes to create matter?

As to why it becomes difficult. As stated earlier in the fic, transfiguration over distance takes focus/ concentration and as such, if he has things attacking him, he can't focus as well and as such, the transfiguration theoretically slips.

So it's a fluke he went back in time, trained with Lupin? Essentially, we could postulate that his parents dying helped him gain the motivation to learn the Patronus charm. And of course it's a pure fluke he's a true Gryffindor and pulled the Sword from the Stone...I mean Hat.

It's also a pure fluke that Lily died for Harry, thus granting him the protection and the weapon of love against Moldiemort, right?

Regards
    SA

7. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

I think he was refering to the fact that there is no evidence that magic requires mana or some form of a limited power source à la Diablo. Though Jbern in Bungle wrote that chain casting spells exhaust you.

8. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

If you could have infinite magic, wouldn't that be out of sorts?

Duel's wouldn't be duels, they'd be bloodbaths.

And as Moody said in Canon GoF, it takes a lot of magical energy to cast the Avada Kevavra, thus implying magical strength grows.

For instance, I doubt Dumbledore could use that fire whip of his at the age of 11. Magical strength and reserves of magic grows, but it can still be easily depleted.

Now, if it was infinite, that wouldn't be a problem.

Since their magical energy need's to grow to be able to cast the AK, then it also states between the lines that magical energy is finite and has a power source.

I myself believe they pull it from a sub-dimension that is infinite in terms of magic but wizard's can only pull a certain amount of magic from it.

Kinda like trying to drink a gallon of water. You can't do it at once. You have to stop and take a breather now and then.

9. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Canon in GOF doesnt matter here really.
    First your already screwing your ideas up. You cant create matter. Transfiguation is more about Finesse and imagination than raw power.

Second you are the one who said that Harry has all this training from going on 11 years at Hogwarts, if cant handle some distractions by a bunch of people with a fraction of this training time he didnt train very well.

Yes most of his adventures so far deal mainly with luck, and a bunch of bs. Yes the sword shows he is a true Gryffindor but that doesnt make him all powerful, it just shows that he has the heart of a Gryffindor.

His patronus doesnt not make him all powerful, because the power behind the spell is his emotion. And his being able to cast it comes from the memory of his parents and being with them.

Harry besting VOLDEMORT twice is arguable, since it was Lily's spell that protected him, technically it could be argued that Lily vanquished him once, and the second time Lily's spell protected him again and caused Quirell to die so technically the same can be said and VOLDEMORT was still less than a ghost at the time so he floated his rotten spirit right out of there.

He went back in time because Hermione wanted to become all knowing and was entrusted with a device which she broke every rule of.

10. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

I never said he was all powerful.

And within the HP universe, they create matter.

How else do you explain the conjuration field of Transfiguration?

True, it was Lily's sacrifice that helped to vanquish Moldiemort but it was Harry's choice to attack Moldiemort,

11. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

Quit killing catgirls. It's M-A-G-I-C.

12. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I see conjuration as being good enough to transfigure air into something. It's not truly conjuration, it simply looks like it.

(I have no idea what canon says about Conjuring. Anyone know?)

13. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

My thoughts exactly. Its just transfiguration, but transfiguring air instead of an object you can see.

14. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

Indeed, profanity is the crutch of an inarticulate motherfucker.

15. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I swear to god if he calls him "Moldiemort" one more fucking time, I'm gonna kill something.

16. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Moldiemort is a real pain. But I cannot wait to see Albus' and Sirius' reaction to the memories being in Harry.

Ultimately in a battle, Moldieshorts would win since he has no compunction against using the unforgivable's as well as the dark arts whilst Albus is self-restrained by morals and ethics and as such, doesn't use the Dark Arts.

He'll die for a principle. Quite stupid really.

Back on topic...if you just transfigure air, then why would you need the field of conjuration?

As the rule stated in the fic, C-A-T-S, (Conjure, Animate, Transfigure/ Transform, Succeed), you have to have something there already.

Of course, an alternate possibility is the conjuration's are simply corporeal magic. Sorta like frozen nitrogen. It it's regular state, it's free. When condensed, it's solid.

Just an idea.

Btw...

MOLDIEMORT!!!

17. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

Does that particular 'mockery of a dark lord' originate in Naked Quidditch Match, or was it just a random joke?

18. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Finally, someone caught the reference!

Only took 6 hours!

*Cackles*

I loved that fic. Absolutely priceless. Scant regard for logic, but still good!

"KILL THEM, KILL THEM!"

But I do hope Jbern updates asap.

I really wanna see how Fleur and Harry get together. As it's said in Saw II, "Oh yes, there will be blood"

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  19. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Oh yes there will be blood... When I read the chapter an image popped into mind. Harry and Fleur are dueling and Harry kicks her in the head. That just keeps coming back over and over.

Of more interest will be the scene between HJ and The Dark Lord of the Sith.

20. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

I'm getting more the image he continually cops a feel, pissing her off and making her duelling more eratic and as such, she loses.

*Sage nod*