1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No. A wizard who can keep casting spells for as long as he likes is still limited by his skill (defined here as the combination of intelligence, knowledge, technique, instincts, creativity, practice, mental focus, emotional control (or lack of), improvisation, will power and confidence). He would also get mentally exhausted, the same way you get mentally exhausted if you do loads of maths for ages, since magic is mentally taxing.

Supporting evidence/argument? You need to expand your argument somewhat.

Actually, he said it would take power, not energy. And you can have differing levels of power without once needing to bring some metaphysical limited "magical core" into the equation, because power is simply the strength of your spells, and the strength of your spells depends on how well you cast them, which itself depends on your skill, which is the combination of the above stated factors.

The reason why Dumbledore wouldn't be able to use the Fire Whip at age 11 (assuming he couldn't) was that he didn't know how - he didn't have the necessary skill.

Nope!

Who's "they"? Grow from what point to where? What is "it"? You're too vague here to make any kind of sense.

Compete opinion, no canon evidence nor any argument to back it up.

On the subject of Conjuration, in DH we're told that vanishing is sending an object "into non-being, which is to say, everything". Since vanishing is the opposite of conjuration (OotP transfiguration class McGonagall introduces vanishing as the opposite of conjuration) then we can say that conjuration is the pulling of an object out of non-being - creating something out of nothing.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  2. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Guess I'll jump in here. The way I do magic in this story is that conjuration (cerating something from nothing) is the most wasteful of all magic. The power cost is high and much power is wasted in the process.

The converse - Vanishing is also just as wasteful.

Direct effect magic - Stunners, Piercers and Blasters are more efficient, but more easily shielded.

Animation takes more energy than direct effect, but less than Transfiguration.

Transfiguration varies widely depending on what you have to work with and what your end result desired is. In the one scene where I had HJ practicing with Dobby he used rubber balls. Changing them into balls of a different material took a measure of power. Changing their shape, but keeping the base material (rubber) was about the same. It's when you change shape and substance that the power required rises. Through in animation (when HJ makes the cats and chickens) requires the highest output of power.

Mastering transfiguration and conjuration is a matter of exploring your own limits and learning how to use your magic in the most efficient manner possible.

HJ is well aware that if he faced JP right now in a fight, he would likely lose. He's working on getting better - fast.

As for status, I'm about 3500 words into chapter 4 of TML. I'll finish it this week and try to get out chapter 9 of this story before Xmas.

Jim

3. Boo

Boo Auror

Early Christmas gift.

And its just what i wanted too.:) :D :) :D

4. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Personally, i always wonder what would happen if Harry went through his seven years with a bit more experience/skill etc. JKR fu**ed Harry's character in the books, (my opinion) and had him stumbling aimlessly. Seeing this angle is very refreshing!

5. Boo

Boo Auror

In the books Harry never studied unless he was forced too(school work). He knew that voldemort was back. He only taught the basic things he already knew in th DA. The patronus was the most advanced spell he taught. He didnt go out of his way to learn new spells to help in a fight. Plus he always stuck to the basics in a fight(disarm, stun, bind).

I mean you have a crazy pycho killer that hates you after you. Wouldnt you try to get better at magic. Force yourself to pick up a book and read. Maybe even ask for help or extra help from some of the order( Moody, Remus, Kingsley, Tonks, Sirius). He didnt need to ask for formal training but maybe a helpful spell or two.
    He was interested in becoming an Auror, thats a good cover. Ask how he could prepare for Auror training, tips on how to win a fight, something.

HJ seems to have some idea on what he is doing. Need more of a demonstration of his power and knowledge in the magic field.

6. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

It's not just voldemort though, HP in canon is a retard. If you were a starved and mistreated orphan who suddenly found himself in a new magical world, wouldn't you do your damnest to learn everything there is to know? I'd do it even without being starved and mistreated!

Hermione Granger, studious? Ha! I'd put her to shame.

7. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Yeah, if I found out I had magical powers, well, in two weeks Hermione would call me a nerd.

8. Boo

Boo Auror

Thats true. Harry discovers a whole new world. So what does he do?
    Nothing!

He is going to live in the wizarding world so he doesnt learn the culture/laws. Smart right?
    He was 11, but still he could have tried a little. Every kid dreams of magic or that they are special(and not just becuase mommy says so) I would learn everything about magic that i could/

9. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

I agree.

You go to a school to basically learn how to grab the universe by the balls and have it obey you, in a regard.

Sounds good to me.

Seriously...and honestly, if Harry was mistreated as bad as he was, you'd think he'd take a bit more action and tell the Ministry to take it and shove it.

But it's gonna be so awkward when he sees his mother and father with Priori Incantio or whatever it is when he and Moldie duel.

"Hey Mum! What was it like sleeping with a werewolf?!"
    "Hey Dad, did you like stuffing Mum's face in the pillows as you plowed her?"

Harry really need's to be revised. A Ravenclaw Harry makes much more logical sense.

Knowledge is Power is a pretty good indicator and a good read. Not as funny as TLiL but still very good. Also Harry/ Fleur.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  10. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

On the point of the Prior Incartum, you are assuming that this is going to follow canon. Looking at jbern's other fics I'd say thats unlikely.

11. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

True, merely saying if that occurred. And my including that was more for bad comedic ideas than actual fiction ideas.

12. Void

Void First Year

Canon Harry probably isn't more studious for several reason. One: The Dursleys. Harry's had his confidence and self-worth beaten down by them his entire life.

Two: Ron. His first friend is a lazy, jealous twit. Harry is abnormally attached to Ron and takes his lead from Ron's attitudes in the beginning books. Between Ron and Hermione they effectively shut Harry away from everyone else in order to keep sole possession of their friend.

Three: Dumbledore. Dumbledore doesn't WANT a studious spell researching Harry. Dumbledore has been grooming Harry to kill himself on command, starting with the years of abuse at the Dursleys. If you take his words at face value he wants Harry to enjoy himself in his time at Hogwarts, perhaps out of guilt at what he's doing to Harry. If you don't then it's a lot easier to keep Harry mushroomed if he's happy and stupid.

13. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

Hey, Jbern, I've got a question. Are you gonna develop your "The Lie" Fleur into someone like your "TML" Fleur?

14. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Fleur in Bungle inspired me to write H/Fleur. She was a great supporting character, but I'm really trying to do H/Luna in Bungle/TML.

In TFtCD, while she was alive, Fleur was a bit of a spoiled princess used to getting her way and perhaps slightly less mature that you would expect because she's used to 1/2 the population catering to her.

In Lie, you'll get a different take on her character. The route I'm going now is a M&M character. Delicious looking hard outer shell that's rather tasty once you get underneath.

Hope that's an answer.

Jim

15. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

Yep, thanks. You got me intrigued. :)

16. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Quick Question? When can when expect the next updates?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  17. Boo

Boo Auror

In the story there are more champions right? So are they going to be important at all or just one of those side characters?

18. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

So many questions, very little answers. When can we expect the next update to quell our curiosities for the time being?

Homer

19. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

I'm working on it today. The outline is complete. Now I need to start writing the indivdual scenes. The other champions will be around. Important? I'll let you decide that down the road.

Jim

20. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Life without conflict is like America without fat people.

Impossible.

No offence to anyone.

This sounds intriguing and I personally can't wait to see harry cut loose on everyone.

All that anger and rage bottled up could have some...amusing effects.

Aerin