1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "Toilet" is also used a lot.

2. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

Damn took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to mention reckon as well. The problem with American English is that it all comes down to what immigrants settled where. In some places like Massachusetts, the language is fairly pure english because the settlers were all English and pretty much has stayed WASP ever since. Out in Texas and the old west you find a lot of spanish, mexican (yes spanish and mexican as two distinct influences), and german influencing the words and phrases because thats who lived there (along with good old american mutts like Boone, Crocket, Travis, et al.). But in the back woods of Georgia (and most of the Old South) you'll find a lot of good Scots-Irish stock torturing the language in new and inventive ways.

Incidentally (having lived in both areas) you'll not find many Texans using reckon, but it's pretty common in Georgia and Tennessee so I think your cowboy analogy is flawed.

3. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Thanks, Amadeus-Griffin! Never saw that K stands for Kubrick. I've ever seen only the shit called Eyes Shut Wide, but I'll try and already expect an eye-opener.
    Oh, and wellcome to our pit-hole!

Seems I messed with the "loo" then. OK

But— "the head"? That's.. peculiar. Is that because sitting in the toilet always brings thoughts to your head you've never thought you're capable of? That's allways the way with me!

How do you use it? I'm hazarding "I'm heading to the head" or "I need to examine my head." keke. No offence, just found funny.

P.S. just went to the Urbad Dictionary to look it up and vomited at the scrupulous instructions on how to do a blow-job. I never saw what hit me.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    /me lols at the last sentence.

5. Boo

Boo Auror

I wonder if Snape is gonna get the DADA job and Slughorn the Potions job. It would give HJ something to complain about(but than who wouldnt).
    Plus who knows what Slughorn will make HJ remember. Or what stories Hat will tell

6. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Actually head in the context of bathroom is a nautical term for bathroom. Goes back to the wind powering your sails and dumping the chamberpots. Sailors would go to the head of the ship (the front) because the wind is behind them to dump the pots.

As for Rita, well I reckon (sorry pun intended) that she is the kind of trash journalist that would use selectively use quotes from other people to hammer home her already established point. If you ever have seen how tabloids write, it's that type of style which I was trying to emulate.

Alexxy - definitely see A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  7. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

*Grins*

Have Kwan as the Apparation Instructor.

"Move!"
    "Cruico!"
    "Will you move now?!"

*Laughs*

It'd be intriguing if each of the champions had to teach a class for the other school's.

Fleur trying to teach Gred and Forge...*Grins*
    Harry teaching a Durmstrang class
    Krum teaching an all-female flirting Beauxbonts class.

*Cackles*

When do you think the next chapter will be up, J? *Prays for middle of Jan*

Regards
    Aerin

8. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Pah... a lot you know... I lived in Wyoming and a number of other states and you heard "reckon" all the time from real cowboys.

Oh well..

Back to Taure...

Yep...when I lived in the UK I'd heard people use that as well... which always struck me as odd... mainly because in the eastern U.S. you might hear someone use the word "toilet", but in the Western side of the U.S. where I grew up, I honestly can't think of a single time I've heard anyone use that word.

But, yeah, Jim's got the truth of the "head" comment... that it's a nautical throwback. Honestly it may well be that since the western side of the U.S. has a more recent naval tradition than the east coast... that may be why it's still in somewhat more common usage over here.

But this is why "brit-pickers" are needed for good HP fics. (Pardon if the first part of that term offends any of our friends across the pond... it's not meant to offend, it's just the term that I've heard it refered to as)

I remember the first time I read a fic and read someone calling Hermione a swotty cow or something to that effect. I sat there puzzled for a moment, then realized that it's a very peculiar turn of phrase to us over here... but that it was such an expressive and accurate term.

9. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

BULLSHIT. I've seen large portions of both coasts - from the ground, not just from 30,000 feet - and the east coast is is just as oceanically inclined than the west coast. If your experience with the west coast was San Diego, I can see that comparison. The place is a gigantic Navy/Marine town.

10. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Excellent chapter Jim. The one of the many thing I like about your story is that you never toe the line. It makes the fic original and fun to read.

The battle scene with Moody/Crouch JR. was really good as it used a lot of unusual spells, rather than the usual Reducto etc. Bringing in the Elf on Moody's side was also an interesting addition.

But the best part of the fic for me was the scene with Sirius in the cave.

"If I was having one on I’d tell you I have Lily’s memories and now I’m gender confused."

Best line ever!

11. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Makes you wonder how Harry would explain it to Fleur if he did have Lily's memories?

Would that make Lily a lesbian?
    Would Harry feel like he was a lesbian by being influenced by Lily's memories?

*Evil laugh*

The duelling will be fascinating, and I'm really looking forward to that. Using the "Wave of Power" on Krum would be priceless.

Regards
    Aerin

12. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

Having reread the chapter because it's just that good I found one bit that was off;

All that should have been an internal monologue instead of succumbing to Things you just don't do as an evil overlord #72. Don't talk needlessly. Act. Try saying that sentence yourself, it'd take you atleast 7 seconds, probably 10 if it's spoken dramatically as befitting a hero. That's quite some time for fake Moody to prepare himself.

Most bad Voldemorts do the same thing, how they can manage to rant their woes and angst while spamming avadas at the same time is beyond me.

13. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

We know from canon that Snakeface can cast an AK nonverbally, and almost without thought. That leaves plenty of time and focus to get your evil rant on.

14. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

Really? Should note still that the fanon Voldemort almost without fail verbalize the AK for dramatic effect.

15. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Hearing someone essentially say, "You die now" can be scary. Can paralyze someone with fear.

An idea that I found intriguing, originating from Bobmin's works (I think), is that Voldemort's body was a magical construct, like a Golem and not a proper body.

I do wonder if Harry's new attitude comes from the increase of power via memories, the memories themselves, the sorting hat or just overall forced psycholoical evolution.

He was a weak piss-ant, now that he knows how the world really works and what he can do, he takes no shit.

I'm just glad Sirius didn't have to give Harry "the talk". That would have been embarassing. But the good, bad and ugly of it would be...

Good: Harry understands what Sirius is talking about
    Bad: He keeps interrupting.
    Ugly: With corrections.

Regards
    Aerin

16. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

Aerin, I believe you meant to say, "the good, bad and funny of it would be..."

17. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

No...look at it this way.

From what we learnt, Sirius is a major ladies man. So when a 14 year old boy interrupts him with corrections to his years of experience...

*Smug grin*

It'd good to see a believable Tri-Wiz Tournament.

Just 3 tasks is pathetic, and not one testing their cunning, intelligence, endurance or spell-casting ability.

Essentially, you could say the canon tri-wiz is really mugglefied, capable of being performed by muggle or magical folk.

Regards
    Aerin

18. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

QFT.

Great chapter, looking forward to the next one.

19. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

I want MOAR!

I decided to give this fic a try, and I was addicted from the start. I read it straight through in a little over 3 hours. Now I'm sad because there probably won't be an update for awhile.

Awesome fic Jbern, can't wait 'till next update.

20. Srichapan

Srichapan Disappeared

I start by saying I didn't read the 17 pages of this thread. I continue by saying I don't know how the hell you were able to get to the 17th page. I end by saying it's possible that the following statements have been written already.

Good things:

1) The basic idea of James' memories in Harry's body (even if it isn't certain or fully explained yet) is a good expedient to make Harry more cunning, skilled and mature. Maybe HJ is a little too cool (always in control and powerful), but at least there is a good reason for it, unlike some fanfictions.

2) The story is funny and exciting, with awsome fight scenes, good dialogues and a well thought plot (even if partly 'canon').

3) The Hat is very original. I like his (its?) rudeness and cynicism that would make a trucker (and barrister as second job) proud.

4) I like Lily. Generally, I hate her. No, better, I hate her usual fanfiction portrait. She's always perfect till the point she doesn't appear human anymore (well, exept in the fanfictions where she's the naughty mummy who wants to be spanked... in those stories, I quite appreciate Lily).

Bad things:

1) The characterization. This is the major flaw. All the characters are unidimensional, flat, encaged in roles that appear slightly stereotyped. I wouldn't dislike a deeper analysis of someone, and I hope at least Fleur will be better 'shaped', when she'll start to know HJ.
    The few exceptions are HJ (obviously), Ginny (sadly), Poppy (banally) and the Hat (partly).
    The Hat is the funny element and the advisor, but we also saw few glimps of something else. In the later chapters, I think there will be a more caring Hat, but not too much.
    The mediwitch is a good version of Molly Weasley, but less fussy and more useful.
    And yes, Ginny is a good side character in this story, in my opinion. She changes during the fanfiction and in a believable and explained way. Considering her marginal role and importance, she is well characterized.

2) In a couple of chapters, there were some parts that reminded me of the central annoying part of HPDH (the one with the tent, Ron's jealousy, Hermione crying and Harry brooding). It weren't the scenes, but the general 'atmosphere'. Maybe it was indispensable to emphasize HJ's aloneness, but it seemed too glum to me, especially considering that this story is saturated with an irony that, although slightly dark in certain parts, generally is... lighthearted.

However I think "The Lie I've Lived" is a 'good' fanfiction, with 'good' prospects of 'good' improvements.

'Good' bye.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008