1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Guest_

Guest_ Third Year

Actually, that wouldn't suprise me at all. His voice is always described as "high", isn't it?

2. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

The whole prophecy to me was fullfilled when Harry was one years old.

Harry was born at the end of the seventh month; check.

Harry had protection granted to him through his mothers insane rituals that would probably have resulted in her incarceration in Azkaban for life if anyone ever learned of what she did. Power the Dark Lord knows not; check.

Lord Voldemort and Harry met, and one of them (Voldemort) died. Either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives; check.

Yeah, looks like the prophecy was fulfilled years ago, and people in the Harry Potter universe, as well a good portion of the Harry Potter fanbase, are just idiots.

3. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Well yeah what were you expecting?

I was kinda disappointed that HJ doesn't duel with Krum first but hey getting more time with/against Fleur first does help make up for it. Anyways keep up the good job.

4. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

You forgot "and the Dark Lord shall mark him as his equal" coming before the final confrontation. Before Harry got the scar, that part hadn't happened yet.

5. Hasty

Hasty Fourth Year

He was marked when the Killing Curse hit him, it then re-bounded and killed Voldemort. Thus harry was marked before Voldemort died and the prophecy was fulfilled.

6. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

God knows that makes more sense than JKR...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  7. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Yep.. pretty much right on the money on every count.

I'm pretty sure that when your heart stops... yer dead.

So correct on all counts I'd say.

8. Boo

Boo Auror

But all the soul pieces werent destroyed and they keep him alive so not fulfilled.

9. Hasty

Hasty Fourth Year

No they keep him bound to the mortal realm as 'less that the weakest ghost'. It all really depends on what you take dead to mean I suppose.

10. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Okay... let's clarify something... Dead... usually does not mean that your SOUL dies as well. In fact, religeons pretty much count on the soul leaving the body when you die.

So, Voldemort's body died. That his soul hung around still doesn't matter. He was still dead. There ya go prophecy fulfilled.

Robo Jesus's argument is made of win.

11. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Yeah, that's true. But, this isn't religion. This is magic, not religion. Dead, is when you're dead. Can't come back. Gone forever. So, no prophecy fulfilled. Besides, 'either must die at the hand of the other'? Lily casting some wacked out magic on her son does not count as Harry's hand. It counts as Lily's.

12. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

Then why are you trying to play devils advocate here if even you acknowledge this to be the case? :confusion:

It being magic is no excuse for you to use it as an excuse to throw out No Limits Fallacies as the basis of your argument(s). Even magic follows rules and order. And in this case, while magic was involved in tying the soul to the mortal plane, death, and the very definition of death, deals with the state of the body.

So while what you say may be true, it is also irrelevant.

No, really?

Never heard of medical resuscitation I take it?

No, wait, you'd probably argue that the doctors are mistaken when they declare clinical death, even when it's used routinely as a part of medical procedure and practice.

Try using arguments that do not rely so much on logical fallicies to make their case and you could build a much stronger case for whatever it is you are arguing for. The first two thirds of your post were filled either with No Limits Fallacies, Confusing Cause and Effect, and minor spatterings of Post Hoc.

Now this is a valid observation in your argument, and should be focused on a bit here.

Now, in order to form a basis for the accuracy of this specific part of the prohpecy, we need to determine if the wording is meant to be taken as being literal or figurative. We would also need to determine what is meant by the wording of the word 'hand'. Hand could mean anything from something held in the hand, the will of the person to act, or even an subconscious desire to act.

If the words are meant to be taken in a literal manner (unlikely given the attitude of witches and wizards in the Harry Potter universe towards divination and prophecies in general), then without an actual determination of the exact meaning of the words that are vague within the text of the prophecy, in legalese they would mean essentially nothing and would be worthless.

Of course, if the words are meant to be taken as nothing more than figurative, then we're just being absurd in treating them as anything more than figurative text.

13. SKsniper128

SKsniper128 Fifth Year

You know in all technicality Voldy killed himself because it was his own killing curse that hit him.

If this is the case than Harry would have something along the lines of "Assisted Suicide" perhaps?

Unless I'm missing something stupid like "Harry absorbed all of the killing curse's magic and fired one back at the dark lord"?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  14. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

If I remember correctly, she didn't cast a spell,nor did she perform any rituals, it was more primal than that (saving one life at the cost of another).

15. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Really, the whole thing about prophesies is that they can be interpreted multiple ways - so as long as the author of any particular story goes about it in a way that makes sense, I'm not going to worry about the technicalities of whose hand did what.

The real slap in the face is the plethora of fanfics that have 'second prophesies' that are both laughably obvious and to a one awfully written.

Born on the seventh month, with eyes of green
    He shall kill the one of serpent tongue
    With the help of she who likes to read books in the library - unseen
    And with an idiot who loves to ride brooms
    And with the whore...and he who is skilled with plants...

Anyway, this story is awesome, keep it up.

16. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I really truly believe that Lily isn't the only woman in history who was pleading for her baby's life at the moment someone killed her with an AK.

17. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

Dumbledore thinks that Lily used an intentional piece of magic, not just maternal instinct. If it could be done wandlessly and nonverbally, Voldemort wouldn't have had any warning.

18. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

While pleading for her baby's life.

19. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Realistically though, how people would even bother giving her the option to stand aside? How many would go to the effort of killing the kid? The Prophecy has to be considered as well. It may have amplified the protection (allowing Harry to be marked as an equal).
    I seem to be disagreeing with you alot :)

20. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

So long as you keep being interesting, keep talking. I love it.