1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Boo

Boo Auror

Voldemort said it was old magic when he got his body back. So i think the whole protection thing was all Lily/ A baby cant focus their magic for spells

2. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

In the story HJ recalls Lily performing obscure and sometimes dark rituals to try and help prepare Harry in this story. That's the way I'm playing it here. She was a woman in her early 20's desperate to save her son.

Jim

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I just wish more girls said stuff like that. *cough*give me pity*cough*
    Getting this thread back on track... jbern, you rock. You handled the Ginny thing in a way that satisfies the general DLP attitude without any pointless bashing. That, all by itself, deserves five stars. In fact, the only thing you've ever done to anger me is ruin Luna's character in 'Bungle'.
    EDIT: My point still stands for canon.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  4. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As for prophecies, I was always of the mind that they are only fulfilled because the people under them feel bound by them, and choose to persue them. When Voldemort heard it he made the choice to kill Harry, thus marking him and bringing the prophecy to fruition. With the sheer number of prophecies in the Hall of Prophecy however, it is likely that not every prophecy given comes true.

Feel me?

5. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I know it's been tossed around before, but what is the general consensus on a prophecies state of being. For instance, was Voldemort always destined to be vanquished by Harry, or did that destiny only come into being when the prophecy was actually made?

Averis, while I agree with you in a general sense, I think in the Potterverse we are led to believe that Harry didn't really have a choice. For all her rot about 'choices define us', events in DH made it clear that some things were simply destined to happen, at least in Rowling's world.

6. Oz

Oh I feel you alright, but I've always felt that the entire point of a prophecy was that it's self-fulfilling. Well, that and that they blow up in the face of anyone that tries to act upon them. Macbeth's a perfect example of this. Although the Witches gave the prophecy, it was Macbeth who acted upon it. If he hadn't told his wife the prophecy, she wouldn't have been able to convince him to kill Duncan. But he did, so she did, and they paid for it.

7. Boo

Boo Auror

Anyone ever think that its not Harry the prophecy is talking about. Maybe the person the prophecy is about someone that hasnt been born yet.

Or the people that 'thrice defied him' was from his(Voldemort) school days.

The chosen one could be walking around out there giving tugjobs for $5 while Harry is being hunted.

8. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Maybe a post owl refused to be his familiar and finally managed to get away from him, and it's one of her offspring...
    Or maybe he had an unnatural lust for one of the amimated suits of armor at Hogwarts - and its morning star is going to fall on Voldemort and crush his skull.

9. Oz

I have no idea if you're being serious or not (although it could be the 36 hours without sleep...)
    Assuming you're serious, then no, I have never even taken that into consideration. What's the point if the protagonist isn't the subject of the prophecy?(Although I did read one book like this. Had something to do with the turdish I think, and at the end they all blew themselves up trying to walk across a minefield... stupid bastards)

10. Ascania

Ascania Second Year

The point is that Dumbledore&Co, who knew of the prophecy enforced its truth by refusing to take action when they could.
    The point is that the protagonist, by breaking that prophecy, takes the hero's path - of his own free will - and walks it out of his own inner strength (and not because some rotten seer declared so). He triumphs over his adversary not because it has been decreed so but because he decided to take action. It makes it a human story.

11. Joschneide

Joschneide Groundskeeper

The whole marking him as his equal folks... Are we forgetting that, as far as the argument goes? The prophecy did not refer directly to Harry, rather he as a chance. When Voldemort chose to acknowledge the Potters as a likelier choice than the Longbottoms, he himself decided the prophecy. But it did not directly apply to Harry until the curse rebounded upon some sort of protection Lily gave Harry. It was not until that moment, the moment Voldemort marked Harry, that the prophecy became only one pertaining to Harry.

In fact, the argument could be made that even if Voldemort were successful in killing Harry, there's still Neville, to whom the prophecy could apply if he were ever marked by Voldemort somehow.

If you want to argue for Predestiny and say that Voldemort was destined to choose Harry, then you completely ignore the idea of Free Will. OR if you'd like to argue that Harry would have killed Voldemort regardless of whether or not Voldemort attacked Harry as a child, recall that it would entirely ignore prophecy in general (considering Harry would never have been marked), invalidating not only the one concerning Voldemort but in essence the process, since one of such specific wording was wrong.

The way I see Prophecy as far as the HP world goes is Seers actually view a snippet of the future by some sort of divine interference. The reason for the wording being vague would be to still allow for Free Will and interpretation.

12. Chadrew

Chadrew Second Year

I was always wondering about 'power he knows not'. Now I might be wrong but I think there's a line in canon where Dumbledore mentions a room in the ministry full of 'that power' to Harry :confused:

13. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

The power the dark lord knows not is a hollow-point shotgun shell to the frontal lobe.

It's muggle, so he doesn't know it.

It's powerful enough to decapitate someone.

*Sage nod*

Regards
    Aerin

14. Cosmo4

Cosmo4 Third Year

The power of love, oooooooooooh.

Right.

Prophecies aren't needed to have a good story. In a tragedy such as Macbeth they are interesting because we know that the protagonist is going to fulfill the prophecy after hearing it and that it will also lead to their downfall. Perhaps if the story were told from Voldemort's point of view it would be interesting but otherwise it simply solidifies a piece of the storyline for the reader.

A fic which had a Dumbledore who didn't take stock in prophecies would be rather interesting though. One who actively tries to kill Voldemort himself, rather than thinking it pointless. He could also tell Harry about its existence and give him the choice of hearing it warning him that to hear it would practically lock his fate.

15. Chadrew

Chadrew Second Year

He has lived in a muggle orphanage, I think he'd have learned a thing or two there.

16. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

The Power-That-He-Knows-Not-Of is supposedly Harry's willingness to die for those he cared for.

But as someone has said, that is all rot. We all know his power is the unbelievable, often fantastical to the point of madness, luck that Harry seems to possess in bountiful quantities from First Year right up to Voldemort's second defeat.

17. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

And that luck is necessary, because it Just Barely balances out Harry's stunning inability to think ahead or exercise self-control.

18. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

As stated in the books, Voldemort chose Harry because Harry was a half-blood like him. Voldemort might have been a pureblood supremist on the outside, but on the inside, Voldemort probably harbored a deep belief that no pureblood could ever come close to him in power. After all, he was the greatest wizard EVARRR, at least, in his mind he was.

So when confronted with the choice of a pureblood (Nevil), or a half-blood like him (Harry), it was inevitable that if either of those two had ANY potential to equal him, it couldn't possibly be the pureblood. His choice of Harry was a subtle nose-thumbing to all the purebloods that would give their left arms just to suck his cock, but thought themselves such hot shit.

19. mathiasgranger

mathiasgranger Slug Club Member

I wonder what Voldemort would say if he knew that HJ was something more like a 3/4 blood than a half blood? ;)

Here's hoping we get an update for this one soon!

20. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I doubt it works like that. If someone is 3/4 black and 1/4 white, they're still called a half-caste. It's a matter of irrational racism rather than cool logic.