1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

I'm not. HJ doesn't care, he said this a few chapters ago, whether or not he wins, he just wants to survive. Even though he technically lost the duel, he accomplished exactly what he set out to do, a)survive, b)kick a little ass, and c)show that he is not willing to back down. Winning is merely a side thought compared to what his other goals are.

2. Boo

Boo Auror

With any luck the Goblet will choose all of the punishments for Malfoy

3. liansk

liansk Second Year

Perhaps, HJ felt that protesting, even if the protest is well called for, would only add to his "little kid" image in the eyes of those around him.

EDIT:
    BTW Jim, how does the Goblet operates in your story? Is it simple magical tool with a few preset uses, or is it more like the Hat, an intelligent/"living" magical object?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  4. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

IIRC, he said that while the other champions were there to compete and win, he was there to compete, win, and survive. He also told Sirius he wanted to win. With Moody outed, I would think the "survive" bit is taken care of.

Also, it just seems like a natural reaction. He just won a hard fought duel, found out that he had to overcome sabotage to do it, and then he has to forfeit? Even if he isn't fully dedicated to winning, you'd think he'd be a little pissed off.

5. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

At the risk of sounding like a squeeing fangirl, Jim I fucking wuv you!
    This is the only error I caught, and I'm still not sure if it's actually an error, but shouldn't it say 'can't' instead of 'can'?

@ rj_stone, what does IIRC mean?

6. liansk

liansk Second Year

If I remember correctly, it means:

Iraqi Islamic Reconciliation Conference

:banana:

7. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That chapter just seemed like an extension of the teaser he dropped a few days before. Of course, the second part of the chapter was quite a surprise (and a good one) but overall, it just makes me want more. At least we'll get another chapter soon.

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

lol@liansk. No no no. You've got it all wrong!

If I recall correctly, it means:

Instantly Inflatable Raiding Craft

Yak
    internet internet relay chat

9. Oz

So it's a more internet-y IRC?

Oz
    Very confuzzled :confused:

10. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I thought it was "If I Recall Correctly".

It makes sense.

11. Oz

That does make a lot more sense.
    I'm really curious about Jim's book. [wink wink]I believe he mentioned a sneak peek?[/wink wink] :)
    EDIT: I can't believe I missed everyone saying 'If I call recall correctly' in their replies. In my defense, I've been surviving on coffee and no sleep for nearly a week.
    That, and I'm an idiot ;)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  12. TikiTDO

TikiTDO Squib

If I recall correctly, it means something much like this.

13. Oz

You seem unusually harsh for a Canadian

14. KlavoHunter

KlavoHunter Second Year

:p

I was going to point that out, but I felt it more important to point out how I'd presciently called the use of Aguamenti.

I'm hoping for Draco to get that brand on his wand hand. It's the most appropriate of them for him, and the story.

6 months of slavery to HJ? While amusing, and humiliating for the ferret we all love to hate, it would warp the story too much. Sounds like the lead-in for H/D slash :eek:

Having to hand his wand over to HJ? The ransom could be easily paid, sure, though if HJ kept it, it would make a nice trophy, especially broken in half. But you can be quite sure that Draco would be down at Ollivander's getting a new one before HJ could put it on his mantlepiece, so, not terribly lasting of a punishment.

Flogging, though - that's almost as good as the branding. Public humiliation for Draco, as our snobby little silver-spoon aristo-kiddy screams like a bitch as his back is torn to ribbons... Shame it wouldn't be lasting - after all, you know quite well that he'd be hurried along to Madam Pomfrey's, and would be good as new after a night sleeping on his stomach.

The branding, though, would stick, rather literally. :)

15. Alleron

Alleron Muggle

Well, thank you all for your response to my post. That's what I get for not leaving it to this morning to reread the chapter this morning before posting the questions. ^_^

I completely missed the flag marking the plaforms, sorry about that. I read this line "I’m stuck to the ground." as "I struck the ground" I blame my dyslexia and the late night for this one. =p

Your explanation on why the portraits did not report Malfoy actually makes a lot of sense now and I'm completely satisfied with it. As well as Dumbledore's possible reasonings for not checking the portraits before the matches started, not because he would be too busy but because he didn't it was necessary to prevent cheating, just catch who did it. Though in a tournament which has had deaths happen in the past you would think he would want to make sure that no cheating took place, but it just goes to show you that he is only human and makes mistakes.

My comment on the official revoking his ruling on who won the match did not convey what I actually meant. What I meant was his revoking it just seemed like an unnecessary line of text. What reason would he have to even consider reversing his ruling until after it was proven that it was someone from Hogwarts that cheated not one of the other schools since it was a student from Hogwarts that won and it was the student from Hogwarts that was the target of the cheating, not Fleur.

As far as the potion and Snape. HJ quickly went for the chance of killing Draco? Why would he not try for Snape?

I'm sorry I seemed to have given the impression that I thought HJ cared one way or the other as to if he won the duel or not other than his bet with Fleur. The point I was trying to get across is why he didn't try to bring Snape down with Draco once he jumped in with a excuse for Draco.

Since the rules allow for duels to the death, what do they say in regards to what lengths they can go to in finding out the truth of who cheated and why? I wouldn't be surprised if truth serum was allowed in find out who the cheater was and questioning the full extent of what the cheater was guilty of.

The reason why this is important is Draco, Snape, and his parents are all arguing that it wasn't planned ahead. HJ might not know the rules but the Hat stated it read them all and I can't see it keeping quiet if there was any legal way to find out Draco's true objectives were. Also, with Snape helping him get the lesser punishment, if it was found out that they were both lying would Snape be eligible for punishment under the rules as well?

Again my reasonings for this wouldn't be that HJ would be worried about winning so much taking an chance given to him to strike back and both Snape and Draco legally.

16. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Amusingly enough, I was the only one who guessed sticking charms for the duel and one was used via the Ichor of Humiliation.

*Grins*

Kudos to me, bitches!

And yay, 19 today XD

17. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

26 last Wednesday :p Just think, in a couple of years all the fun will be gone when you drink, it'll be legal lol

18. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

*Smug* In Australia, it's legal at 18.

Personally, I can't wait to see who won/ lost the bet.

Gonna be hilarious.

19. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

I dunno. When pseudo-Moody didn't check in with Voldemort, he undoubtedly got another agent to Hogwarts post-haste. Harry isn't stupid, he knows Voldemort won't give up just because one insane DE got busted. I'm wiling to bet there are at least 2 or 3 more agents, in and outside Hogwarts, that are in Voldemort's service.

20. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

It's amusing going through the reviews on ff and ffa. Some are riled up that HJ loses the duel. Provoking an emotional reaction in the readers is a sign that I'm doing a good job.

Well for the two birthday boys, I offer the Cedric duel up as an early tease. Originally, I was going to end chapter 11 at this point, but I liked the Hat's line too much as a closing line.

Happy Birthday to you both.

Chapter 12 – What’s the Price of Your Fame?
    November 12th, 1994

“Is that offer to go easy on me still open?” Cedric asks half-jokingly as we approach on the platform. I missed the other two duels from this round, waiting for my garments, but Viktor disposed of Aimee in less than thirty seconds. The one I want to watch when I get my hands on a set of Omnis is Fleur and Athena. Athena won for the second time and Fleur is visibly limping and fuming, but from Bagman’s commentary it sounds like she gave the Durmstrang witch a run for her money.

I look at the French referee before smiling. “I went easy on Fleur, so why not?”

Cedric chuckles, “That is your version of easy? Seriously, where’d you learn those spells?”

“Let’s just say that people trying to kill me is a wonderful motivational tool. Duel well, Diggory.”

“Same to you, Potter.”

I spin and set up inside my circle. No discoloration this time. I’ll be free to move. How should I open?

“Begin!”

A geyser of water leaves my wand. Cedric freezes it three quarters of the way to him and animates it, sending the ball of ice rolling my way. I send a cutter through it, slicing it in two. His wand work transfigures one half into a whitish looking retriever. I take the other half and my white grim pounces on it, dragging both of them off platform onto the ground below.

He sends a quick stunner my way hoping that the growling and thrashing distracts me. Years of sleeping in the same dormitory as Ron Weasley, Sirius Black, and Remus Lupin have inoculated me to whimpers, growls and snores of all types. I return fire with my best annoyed look and a bird conjuration. Unlike Aimee, I stagger their flight path instead of sending them en masse at my opponent. For good measure, I engorge one of them from canary to falcon size.

I’d expected the fire defense. It works well enough against most animal summonings. Cedric goes another route – a wide area bludgeoner, which knocks all but the largest bird out of the air. A cutter clips those wings and the two canines have some fresh meat to fight over as well.

Launching a ground assault, I conjure another Pettigrew horde. Altering the plan, I immediately banish the lot at him. Most overshoot and end up rebounding off the wards and onto the ground, but the few that land on the platform should distract him for a moment.

He conjures a rope, but charms it to act like a whip, snapping at the rats and knocking them away one by one. Not a bad little active defense against all the animals I’m using. Guess I’ll have to come up with something that doesn’t mind being whipped. I suppose it would be a foul if I summoned Draco from the stands. I’ll need a moment for this particular spell. It takes both energy and time.

Cedric sends a range of minor jinxes at me: tripping, slug vomit, and fumblefingers. It’s almost tempting to take the slug-vomiting hex; it would provide me with base material for Transfiguring, and he’d be shocked as hell that I could fight through it. I dodge anyway, focusing on not missing the wand movements.

However, I’ve had enough embarrassment for the morning and slug vomiting is notorious for killing an appetite. Besides, I have all the base material I’ll need. We’re standing on it. I’m not allowed to use his circle, but the pathway and my circle are permissible.

“Golem Mobils!” Anyone doubting me after this, bugger off! The middle of the platform rises up into a misshapen humanoid figure. That starts ambling towards Cedric. It’s slow, but sturdy. Cedric hurls a reductor at it and seeing how ineffective it is moves right up to blasting curses. He transfigures his rope whip into a chain and tries to trip it. The monster slogs right through it snapping the links.

Seconds later, it’s over. My golem looks worse for wear, but the remaining arm that Cedric didn’t blow off has Cedric’s wrist firmly in hand. I focus on making certain that it doesn’t crush bone, while keeping his wand pointed away from me.

“Do you yield?” I shout.

Cedric grimaces and then nods, “I yield.”

My golem lets go and starts heading back to the area I brought it from as the referee declares me the winner. Cedric massages his bruised arm, but gives me a nod. Only then do I let my ears hear the wild howling of the crowd. I give Cedric a quick wand salute before hopping off the stage. My eyes find Krum and I smile. I’m coming for you and your little witch friend as well.