1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Lord of the Rings (TV - Amazon))

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I think he's trying to say that the undershirt was the costume department cutting corners/making it more comfortable for the actors by replacing what should be armored with painted cloth.

Which seems pretty silly to me, since the actual armor design looks to match real armor decently well, with the standard fantasy tweaks admittedly. It's just got an undershirt painted to match the aesthetic of the armor rather than be plain wool or whatever.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, mate, you are reaching, as well as vastly overestimating your own self-importance. I have voiced my criticism of several parts of the show as well as my fears in this thread and on discord. I found this one instance of "critique" to be stupid, and I called it out for what it was. If that triggered you, then Jesus christ, you really don't belong on DLP.

As for the new images, a full day passed, I saw new pictures on reddit and came to share (pretty much exactly what I've been doing since I started the thread). It had literally nothing to do with you. Remove your head from your anus please and thank you.

/derail

OT: Apparently the LA premier was today (well yesterday), which is why so many promos and pics dropped. Should be getting some reactions soon from press, even if they can't fully review it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  3. Aisosa

Aisosa Second Year

Do you subscribe to Nerdrotic or Disparu by any chance? Because it seems like you're making inferences that weren't even implied, being nitpicky beyond belief and just plain being overly antagonistic for no reason that I can see, much like a certain sect of LoTR fans that I've interacted with.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Getting back to the pictures. I like how brightly coloured everything is. There's a lot of white stone, because we can't have an ancient empire without calling back to Rome, but the people, statues, and banners are all really brightly coloured. Like they were in real life.

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

These photos suggests that Halbrand/Galadriel is going to be teased. Then he's either going to die sacrificing himself to help fight Sauron or will turn out to be evil.

If not for the fact that it simply doesn't work with what is established about Sauron and Galadriel I would really like him to be Sauron. I just like the concept of the Dark Lord hiding himself as a human and meeting by accident the person who hunts him and then deciding to join them just for fun. I would even add him questioning if he wants to continue trying to conquer the world after actually liking this life, make fans want him to be good, but in the end he's Sauron and he's destined to be the Lord of the Rings. But like I said, it doesn't really fit with Tolkien's Sauron.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Celestin Clearly when Tolkien said Annatar was the giver of gifts, what he failed to mention was that the gift in question was a good lay.

But in seriousness, from other trailers you can figure out that
    In those close-shot Halbrand-Galadriel scenes, they are actually secretly passing a knife, and the looks are smugness of a well-executed piece of skullduggery, not romance.

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I really want Halbrand as Sauron, but I doubt it :(

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It's probably intended as both. Standard TV show teasing one thing while doing other so fans can argue about it.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Definitely a typical marketing team strategy.

I would absolutely despise a love triangle situation (as Celeborn is a confirmed factor), but thankfully I don't think that will be the case. Given the sussy looks she shares with him are quite far from romantic, I think it will be more like an untrusting friendship, or at most an unrequited love on Halbrand's part (which is fine, everyone simps for Galadriel), which could be interesting if it drives him to make poor choices. Basically a Feanor parallel.

Charlie Vickers on Halbrand: “What happens when a man hasn’t been loved his whole life? I think often something like power fills that void.”

[​IMG]

Imo, this bitch is a future Nazgul or Sauron himself.

I don't think it really breaks canon for him to be a disguise of Sauron as long as this is pre-Annatar. Galadriel was suspicious of Annatar, and tired of his personality, but she was fooled along with the rest of the elves. Nobody suspected him to be Sauron in disguise.

Sauron/Nazgul being friends with / in love with Galadriel pre-forging is the most fanfic-y thing ever... but I would enjoy it NGL. It wouldn't be entirely out of left field, as it kinda tips the hat at Melkor's lust for Luthien and Varda.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  10. Skeletaure

High Score:
  11. Skeletaure

High Score:
  12. Skeletaure

High Score:
    So, speculation on order of events for Galadriel:

1. Galadriel in the north, searching for Sauron. Finds a clue he was there but has long since moved on.

2. Returns to Lindon. Discusses with Elrond about giving up the search for Sauron and revenge for Finrod. He successfully persuades her to take a ship to Valinor.

3. Galadriel sails west with a group of other elves. However, she is still under the ban of the Valar and her ship is shipwrecked by a sea monster and a storm.

4. She meets Halbrand at sea. Either he rescues her, or he is also shipwrecked in the same events and the pair of them are then picked up by Isildur. Either way, they end up on Isildur's ship, heading for Numenor.

5. Galadriel and Halbrand in Numenor, witnessing the political conflict there. Galadriel strikes up a friendship with Tar-Miriel. It is possible that fresh from being shipwrecked by the Valar, Galadriel has some bitterness towards Valinor at this point and actually stokes the tension in Numenor by relating the tale of attempting to sail west and being prevented from doing so.

6. Numenor receives word that one of its colonies in Harad has been attacked by a band of orcs (potentially via Palantir). This is in the area of Bronwyn's village and is the same band of orcs lead by Adar which attacks and captures Arondir.

7. The Numenoreans dispatch a force to deal with the orcs. Galadriel joins them.

8. They fight the orcs in a cavalry battle and win. Once the orcs are routed, they pursue them and end up in Bronwyn's village. It is here that Galadriel encounters the Morgoth cultist, who has been preaching the lies of Morgoth to the locals. Galadriel exchanges words with the cultist and we see the clash of ideologies.

9. The Morgoth cultist summons a balrog which destroys the village; Galadriel wakes covered in ash, they village is destroyed.

Unclear where the story goes from there.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I thought this one would be after the palantir scene, but yeah that's possible. If Gil-Galad's "these are our days of peace" quote comes at the end of Galadriel's hunt rather than the end of the first age, this would make a lot of sense.

Elendil and Isildur are on the same ship? I did not catch that. Sure to be some awkward father son dynamics there.

If the youtube ragebait machine is anything to go by, she'll behead that mean ol Balrog with a flying kung-fu kick, and then have a hot steamy celebratory threesome with Halbrand and Miriel, with tits and dong flopping everywhere.

14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Deleted that soundtrack post sorry. Download link seemed mega sketchy. Soundtrack should be dropping soon though.

15. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Seems like fun.

So the scenes of Galadriel in Lindon in armour look to me like being possibly part of an introduction. 'Today our days of peace begin' - presumably this is shortly following the downfall of Morgoth. I expect this to cover the bare bones of Feanor's rebellion and the war against Morgoth.

Galadriel seems to include herself in the assumption of peace, so there must be some kind of inciting incident to get her to go in search of lingering baddies. My impression is that this may take the form of a vision (I'm of the opinion that the red-shaded sections are prophetic visions). This then leads to the Forodwaith scenes, which show her apparently following a map to some old fortress. This is Angband or Utumno, I assume. Utumno makes more narrative sense, as Galadriel wouldn't know its location, but Angband makes more thematic sense as it has a greater connection to Sauron. It's likely that it will simply be referred to as something like 'the ancient stronghold of our enemy' rather than specifically calling out Utumno or Angband by name.

Anyway, they venture in and find that the power of evil still lingers there, and Galadriel becomes sure that some lingering influence of Morgoth remains at large.

What happens at this point, I'm unsure. It's possible that she returns to Lindon to attempt to convince the other Elves of the danger, now that she has proof, but I don't know that it would make sense for her to then be convinced to travel into the West. It requires a worrying lack of foresight from a lot of supposedly wise characters (at the end of the First Age she proudly refused forgiveness or permission to return). Getting Halbrand in there too also seems a bit of a stretch for him to just happen to run into them on the cast ocean. As a result, I'm lost on how she comes to be shipwrecked. Perhaps they are pursued from Forodwaith and the survivors take a ship to escape, only to be sunk by a sea-serpent.

On the other hand, there are scenes in the trailers which certainly look to be Elves travelling into the West (then again, they seem to be doing it successfully).

Once in Numenor, I think Taure's likely to be on the money. Attack on a colony, with Galadriel agreeing to accompany the response force. My thinking is that she may have another vision once standing in the destroyed village, of what might be to come. I'm significantly less sold on the idea of chucking the Balrog in there as an important player. I'm also kinda expecting Pharazon to be initially supportive of Miriel, but that we will gradually become more opposed to her actions as time goes on. I expect him to feel that she should be doing more to combat the evil threatening the world.

What the Harfoots have to do with all this is anyone's guess. Elrond? Making friends with Dwarves, I suppose. Gil-Galad? Just doing Gil-Galad things.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    [​IMG]

So Tirharad was a massive misdirect. The Southlands is Proto-Mordor, not Harad.

Ugh. Fine. I don't love it, but fine. The ash-caked Galadriel scene is almost certainly Mt. Doom exploding now.

17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Full soundtrack is out on Spotify.

It's good. Really good. Had it on in the background while I worked today.

I think it's probably on par with McCreary's Battlestar Galactica and GoW OSTs.

Shore's main theme for the show is very nice, but kinda lackluster in comparison to some of the other kickass tracks, like Numenor and Valinor.

I've had those two on repeat for like 30 minutes.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:

What the absolute fuck are you doing with this trailer music, Amazon? Please fire your entire marketing team because they are ass.

Unrelated news: Carl Hostetter did the translations for the show. Should be getting accurate and beautiful Quenya and Sindarin.

19. Aisosa

Aisosa Second Year

It's almost like they WANT the Lord of the Rincels to pass from apopletic fits.

20. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cool trailer, despite the music.