1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Mandalorian [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Since just after Disney acquired Lucas. It was around that time that 1313 was cancelled because the concept was too similar.

2. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Huh. Oddly enough the trailer did nothing for me :/

Will check out the first episode when it comes out, but I'm not particularly hyped about it.

3. Microwave

Microwave Professor

if they don't bring back bo katan imma be angry

4. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Yeah, this trailer did not interest me any more than the first one. I suspect I'm not the target audience at all.

5. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Lucas has been wanting to do a live action tv show for over a decade. Even had something like 60 episodes scripted. He was just waiting for technology to catch up to his ideas. It was supposed to be called Underworld and would have taken place on Coruscant. Basically it was stories about the gritty side of Star Wars: gangs, mafia, etc.

Then, right before the by-out by DIsney, at SDCC, they announced 1313, which would have been a Boba Fett centered show, with basically the same premise as Underworld, just more focused on Fett. It would take place on Level 1313 in the Underworld.

After the by-out, that was scrapped for a new, BOLDER VISION!!!!!!! and the SW-verse started its slow swirl around the toilet that is Hollywood.

Now you have Mandalorian, if the trailers are to be believed, is a show about a guy in armor that walks around a lot, occasionally shoots things, and everyone says he's the best, just so you'll know that he's the best when you start watching it... so they don't have to explain anything in the pilot. They can just jump right into him being the best.

At least we know, as of the latest of two trailers, that he'll have a speaking role. Well, at least two words anyways.

6. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Man, nobody hates Star Wars like Star Wars fans.

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Man, giving a shit about things you like is like, such a downer. And pointing out flaws is so lame. People who dress up as SW characters to the movie premiere hate Star Wars because they don't like what Disney is doing.

I guess DLP people who didn't like Crimes of Grindelwald must hate the Potterverse.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There is not much reason to hate on this show just yet though, other than bearing an intrinsic dislike of Disney Star Wars. They seem to be doing everything right so far.

The trailers look damn good. They have a huge cast of major acting talent, and have brought in phenomenal writers and directors. The man responsible for everything good about the last decade of Star Wars content is a writer, director, and co-executive producer. Word of mouth from the people who saw early screenings of the first episode all seem to be highly positive.

If you're not into Space Westerns, then this probably won't be your cup of tea, regardless of the Star Wars tie-ins. All evidence is pointing to the show being 'Clint Eastwood in space' possibly with a Houses of Mandalore backstory.

Unrelated: The rumored Disney+ account sharing limits seem to have been greatly exaggerated. You will be able to stream on 4 devices simultaneously, with up to seven profiles.

9. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Cautiously hopeful, even having detested the Disney SW films so far.

Praeterea censeo Crimes of Grindelwald was good.

10. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Oh, I absolutely hope that the show does great. Unlike a lot of people, I didn't really like the majority of the trailers. It had a couple of things that were noteworthy: IG-88, an actual Twi'lek in the cast (I was beginning to think that they'd all been killed off since we haven't seen one in the last 5 films), etc.)

Anyway, it reminds me of the way Boba Fett was catapulted into awesomeness as being the ultimate Mandalorian/Bounty Hunter/god in Empire, after a mediocre intro. Granted, they went out of their way to build him a backstory and reputation in the EU, which actually worked. They tried to do the same with Phasma and it bombed. From the looks of the trailers, it seems like the formula is back. Hopefully they actually take some time to make him into a badass instead of plopping a character on the screen and telling us how badass he is.

The thing that annoys me the most is this fucking Disney+ bullshit. Subscribe to our streaming service or you don't see shit. Fuck you.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Since HBO basically told the world that it gave zero fucks about piracy of GoT due to how indirectly profitable word of mouth from all those extra viewers actually is, it's been getting harder for me to get up in arms about stuff like this.

If the networks don't actually care about piracy, then I'm sure as shit not going to care about it. I will pirate, setup family/friends mooch accounts, and free-trial binge to my heart's content.

12. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Truest truth of them all.

13. nahbutualright

nahbutualright Slug Club Member

14. James

James Unspeakable

Man, I need Werner Herzog to star in some more bad guy roles. Ideally written by an intelligent screenwriter without much studio interference, for once.

15. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So anyone seen first episode yet? Spoiler free thoughts? Debating if Disney + is worth it for this show.

16. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

I just finished the first episode. The main character doesn’t talk much and (as expected) doesn’t take off his mask. That can make it a bit challenging to connect with, but I think he did a good job of it.

There are points of the Manalorian culture that I only recognize through fanfiction reading (because I haven’t watched rebels yet, or read any of the comics), but I feel like there was something there that I haven’t heard of- so I guess that they’re both using existing material and then also building more stuff? It made sense in the story if that helps.

Bounty hunting seems to be handled a bit differently than the EU free for all. I can give a bit more detail there if you want, but don’t want to spoil anything.

The episode does a decent job of getting a somewhat satisfying end, but still leaving the story unfinished, and definitely has plenty of things to tie into future episodes.

No spoilers but that ending 1-2 minutes significantly surprised me.

17. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've heard people say this is more like the start to a six hour movie than a tv series. Thanks for the info :)

18. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

Maybe it’s just me but I felt the TV series vibe a bit stronger. It definitely opened up the Star Wars universe more, out in the fringes of space. It hit more of the Solo or Firefly feel in that way- no big, capital planets, lots of backwater places with odd jobs.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Looks Star Wars. Feels Star Wars.

Everything about it was good. They weren't going out of their way to nostalgia wank, and the nostalgia bits they did include flowed very well.

And that ending pretty much assured that not only will this be a wild ride to Mandalore town, we'll be getting some force shenanigans as well.

Unrelated: the idea's that Yoda's species ages suuuuuuper slowly makes me laugh. It makes more biological sense than your typical short childhood / extended adulthood trope, but can you imagine 70 years as a toddler? I feel bad for Yoda's parents.

20. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

Feels very Star Wars. And I should clarify- feels like movie quality, but TV Series pace.

His parents? What about the poor Jedi that had to train him? Can you imagine how long he’d need to be in the creche? Or as a Padawan?