1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Most Significant Leap in Personal Computing ?!

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Blaise, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Now this I have to disagree with. I have been a Mac owner and user for most of my life, and I have also used PCs for large amounts of time. In my experience, OSX is far more stable than any OS that Microsoft has ever made. (In any case, we are both citing personal experience, so we can't really prove anything) For example, I have a Titanium Powerbook, from 2001, an Aluminum Powerbook from 2003, which still works, and I still use. I have yet to have any problems with either, despite heavy use. Windows laptops, which I have owned many of, always get various hardware problems, software glitches, or, say, Windows Vista. I have yet to use a PC which I enjoyed as much as a Mac. Just saying.

2. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

If I had wanted a touchscreen MacBook, I would've gotten it a long, long, long time ago.

(Talk about bitches not knowing...)

The iPad (and Courier, at a mere 7" diagonally when folded) are exactly the kinds of ready-to-go devices that suit the above-mentioned needs of the overwhelming majority of business professionals. Take notes, read notes, send notes, see pictures/diagrams/plans, the ability to scribble on or annotate any document or picture file, and possibly chat about it in realtime - that's IT. Fullstop. Anything more is a waste of resources and (most likely) money. Lenovo is a huge waste. The Modbook is most definitely a waste. Both would have to be handled with kid-gloves and overly-pampered.

Besides, anything more intense, in terms of daily computing needs, should be handled by a good desktop. Laptops are pretty much best suited to performing musicians IMO - they're the only ones who need the extra power in a portable format. Or people who use laptops for diagnostic processes...F1 racing comes to mind, but there are other examples. Everyone else is, frankly, too dumbshit and not careful enough to have such powerful computers bouncing around - or, more often than not, left running ad infinitum until they burn out, leaving their owners stuck with a non-upgradeable computing format.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  3. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

Universities ban the iPad

Kind of misleading, but Princeton is working to resolve a DHCP issue that it has with the iPad.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  4. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

One could say OSX is far stabler than most Windows OS's out of the box though when it is properlly configured, maintained and used correctly Windows is as stable as any other OS. It comes down to experience, OSX is slated towards a less informed user, whislt osme may view this as a negative or postitive thing, I say it is a positive thing, taking much of the crap that many users don't have the knowledge to deal with. Still, how many Mac users know how to use terminal? Remember it is linux under the hood.

My grandparents have a 386 which still works. It's all to do with usage patterns. Laptops by nature get beaten around a lot. The constant travel compared to a desktop PC, expect more things to go wrong, plus I would have to say 99% of laptops cooling solutions are finite.
    Also, Vista, just no, everyone knows Vista does not exist, it's a lie. A buggy piece of shit lie that never got released so early. There was jsut a huge gap between XP and Windows 7. Windows 7 is so good that they skipped a version number due to the long time. =/

Yeah, see the problem comes is that is an aftermarket unsupported mod which voids the warranty.

From the uses you just listed, I do not see the iPad capable of some jsut yet. Scibble or annotate on documents or pictures? I don't see a stylus for pen input. One's finger isn't good enough to do such a task.

I do believe the business market wants to be able to show CAD drawings in the field, alter skematics on the field, add notes directly to documents and caption pictures jsut taken and transferred via bluetooth to the device. They want to be able to jot down notes with a pen where ever they are, watch movies, read newspapers and books on planes and when it comes down to it, have a keyboard to type up documents. Not an onscreen keyboard.

Other professional markets include the audio industry which I am very much apart of. The HUGE hype over the iPad in this regards is to a controller. There has been a huge hole in the market when it comes to control surfaces. The iPhone gave people a taste of being bale to control various software programs and ever record shit onto it. The iPad gives them a big screen to actually show full screen plugins, faders and edit things aswell as use it as a MIDI controller to directly input with for various things and sample pads etc. I will use my tablet to do various things like this aswell as wirelessly control my digital mixing console whilst walking around the crowd. Now these programs take up a lot of processing power with a scope beyond what the iPad is capable of delivering. People have been wanting these capabilities for a long time but a decent implementation has yet to really come.

See, there are many uses out there for tablet laptops with decent grunt. The Dell Latitude XT2 XFR is such a device which is in common usage in F1 racing, it's built like a tank, has the power and input options they need. The tablet market will always be an exclusive market until it goes widespread. I'm jsut saying it would not take much for the iPad to have been developed that little bit higher in the food chain to make it hit that market.

5. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I see two problems here, one the word whilst is outdated and from an era when we still had second-person verbs. The modern use of which is to sound like a pretentious intellectual cunt.

second, I think everyone is projecting desires for the iPad past pure entertainment. I don't think Apple had the professional on the brain when they designed it.

6. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

I'm a learnerd academic D8 Bitches are just jealous.

QFT

/end of thread.

7. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Microsoft Cancels Innovative Courier Tablet Project

Link

This infuriates me. I can't even form any coherent thoughts right now.

I honestly do not even-

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Had it even gotten anywhere beyond conceptual design?

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

WHAT THE FUCK.

Microsoft Won't Fight the iPad or Android tablets Until the End of 2012

Are they insane ? Apple is on their second tablet and snagged every major publisher; Android tablets are no longer satisfied with remaining vaporware, and Honeycomb is supposed to be incredible; HP's WebOS, despite the lack of a strong app market, has always been slick - and they're basically sitting on a handwriting recognition format that's been first-rate since the 90's, and a piece of cake to adapt for a tablet; the major wireless mobile carriers are on the ball, and ready to pump out 3.3G (no one's putting out legit 4G yet, but it'll probably happen to accomodate a tablet demographic over a smartphone demographic.

I literally do not understand this.

11. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    They need to spend some more time on R&D, so they can produce a quality iPad killer.
    The BigZune.

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Back to school season is Q3 isn't it? Not end of the year. :S

And you need to stop acting like a female, Daniel.