1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Oldest Game You Still Play?

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by LittleChicago, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I occasionally go back and play Space Empires III (1993), which is pretty much the first PC game I remember playing.

2. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I played the original Doom (1993) before Eternal was released.

I speedrun Banjo Kazooie (1998) about once a year.

3. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

That's a good call. Think I have randomly have number 5 on my current computer.

4. Simplicity

Simplicity Third Year

Oldest that I still play actively? Doom (1993) and it's sequel, which are still brilliant to splitscreen with friends for a fun lazy game time.

The other one is Populous: The Beginning (1998) which was probably the first sort of strategy / god game I'd ever played and I still enjoy playing it every so often, even if Age of Mythology takes it's place somedays.

5. Sporkman108

Sporkman108 Muggle

Every year I pick a random series to play from start to finish,last year it was Castlevania this year its Metroid(currently Prime 2)

6. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Some great games mentioned in this thread, I'm tempted to fire up some of the old snes titles now.

The oldest I play regularly is Heroes of Might and Magic 2, I played through Might and Magic 7 recently too, with the patch for free mouse look it is still very playable.

That said, HOMM 3 with the HOTA HD patch is a much better game. The AI becomes semi competent and not as easy to abuse.

7. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

I still break out Knights of the Old Republic 1 (2003) and 2 (2004) when I'm feeling particularly nostalgic. The gameplay hasn't aged well, but the story lines and world-building are still top-notch.

8. Imperial

Imperial Second Year

Kirby Super Star and Chrono Trigger

I play a lot of JRPGs, and I'm often left thinking, "sure, that was good, but it was no Chrono Trigger!" I wonder if it's just the nostalgia goggles making me say that, so I've gone back to it at several stages in my life.

It still holds up.

9. Wizard Giller

Wizard Giller Seventh Year

I am surprised nobody said minesweeper (1989) or solitaire (1990). I dont play them often but a couple times a year for sure if I’m sitting in an airport or uber and want a quick game.

10. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

The weirdest fucking thing about HoMM 5's development is that they hired Olivier Ledroit to create the artwork for them and then proceeded to use nothing of it as base for the actual game visuals. If you ever read Requiem Vampire Knight or Black Moon Chronicles, you know his artstyle is quite detailed and very... let's say unique. Here's a few examples of my favorite pieces, put in spoilers due to size:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Odran

Looking at those I can tell you for sure these pieces inspired in-game designs. 2nd from the top is basically the Black Dragon and the Dark Elf citadel, 3rd has the elevated feel of the Necropolis, the elf druidess from the 4th was literally the cover of the printed guidebook in the 2005 OG Edition physical copy box (game came on 4 CDs lol), 5th is Kha-Beleth, the final boss of the base game campaign, 6th is Raelag, hero of the 4th campaign, 7th is Biara, the main antagonist in the 2nd DLC, 8th image is basically the 2nd tier unit of Sylvan, 9th is Shadya, Raelag's sidekick, 10th is the Vampire Lord (4 tier unit of Necropolis).

On second thought, the 9th image could also be the 2nd tier unit of the Dark Elves, on account of the dual wielding.

The game's visual style was more cartoony, those images are highly detailed, I imagine in the mid 2000s a little-known Russian studio had limits on the level of graphical fidelity they could achieve.

I'll post some images for comparison later.

Edit (pics below):

Dungeon town
    [​IMG]

Necropolis
    [​IMG]

The artwork would be a Ubi asset, right? I can't imagine it wasn't used as reference for the look of Necropolis in HOMM 6, given the tiered pyramid look:
    [​IMG]

Kha-Beleth
    [​IMG]

Raelag on the left:
    [​IMG]

Biara:
    [​IMG]

War Dancer (2nd tier Sylvan unit)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vampire Lord:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  12. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I know what those artworks represented and I'm well aware who or what they represent in the game, I was just saying it didn't exactly translate into visuals, it was more cartoony, as you say. Nowadays, the comparison I hear is that HoMM 5 is WoW-like in actual in-game graphics.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I refuse to acknowledge any HOMM game after 3.

14. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

I have a Gameboy Advance that's been modded to have a backlit screen and a rechargeable battery pack. I use it to play the Megaman Battle Network series (I own copies of all 6 games), and the first one was released back in 2001. Fantastic games, and I'm not ashamed to admit I'd pay an uncomfortable amount of money for a collection or anniversary release on a more modern platform.

15. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Absolutely, Emperor for me. Amazing city builder, and the fan community has made it work on widescreen resolutions:

16. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Every so often I download and play TIM: The incredible machine. Played it when I was a kid. It's a damn shame how much dumber I've clearly gotten, because levels I beat at age 7 apparently kick my ass in my old age.

17. MightlessPhilosopher

MightlessPhilosopher Banned

I like retro-gaming. Especially platform games, they were much harder than today. The oldest game I still like to play at is the Smurfs on Megadrive. A beautiful game that looks exactly like the comic, and the difficulty is hardcore. I recommend it for those who like to die again, and again, and again until you get it right.

18. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I... honestly don't play old games that much.

The past year, the oldest game I played was probably Skyrim (2011).

19. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

I don't play videogames as much as I used to, but I still occasionally replay some old RPGs from the 90s like Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden 2, etc.

20. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

City of heroes is an MMORPG from a while back that shut down, but relatively recently I found out there’s a big private server still going thats open, called homecoming. Hmu, if you play too.