1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Power of a Name

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Mordecai, Jun 28, 2007.

1. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

About Voldemort's name, and why it would still have a effect if they call him that.

'I am Lord Voldemort' is an anagram of 'Tom Marvolo Riddle'. In fact, Voldemort has the letters for 'Tom' in it, so it will have some influnce. He probably knew that a name held some power- likely, adopting an entirely new name would inhibt some of your power unless you go through a ritual to become that name. Therfore, by making himself a name using his previous name's letters, he still retains most of the power.

Also, another thing to note- Arithmancy uses somebody's name, so obviously it has some influence on their personality.

2. xcel

xcel Looked into the void

Thank you, Ursula Le Guin, for that wonderfully original idea.

An Earthsea / HarryPotter crossover might make a good story. Good idea Mordecai.

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ummmm, thank you random person who greatly extrapolated from my actual post...

Earthsea/Harry Potter. Hmmm...not what I was suggesting and really, would it work? At all? Ever?

There are bad crossovers. They're the ones that could work, but are badly written. Then there are horrible crossovers, which are titled as such because no matter how good the writer is, or how good the writing is, the two universes just don't fit together.

That's kinda how I would see Earthsea/Harry Potter. I just honestly cannot see it working. A complete literary genius like Tolkien could try it and it would be bad in my opinion.

Someone like Nonjon might manage a half decent spoof/parody/humour oneshot/ficlet/drabble out of it. But anything else?