1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The problems with HBP, chapter by chapter.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Midknight, Aug 21, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

lol

2. realmess

realmess Slug Club Member

and of course, there's poor Severus dark, haunted and misunderstood in the corner, I mean what is it with the wizarding world and their inability to comprehend the good deed of mercy killing, and Harry suddenly aces all subjects, and developes a telepathic :twisted: connection to Ginny, and..
    upsie looks like I got a little overboard, :p :twisted: :twisted:

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

JKR---Where are youuuuu?

Am I the only one here who thinks that perhaps the
    OOTP and the HBP was actually churned out by some
    ghost writer getting paid by the word so JKR could
    focus in on the 'important' things; like movies and
    merchandising rights?

--bornagainpenguin

4. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Its very likely. Like JK just gave them the story and said, "now you put words to it, and give it filler" Its a distinct possibility.

5. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Re: JKR---Where are youuuuu?

No I've said it before, even once in this thread I think. The writing style is totally different when you compare GoF to the last 2 crapfests. Way more filler, more teen whine fest crap, etc. Before OOTP, interesting stuff actually happened.

6. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

YEah, the first 4 were good (except for 2; I still can't get over it EVERYONE managed to look through a puddle or mirror!?!)

Some of the plot devices were OK (as someone who has never seen something like a Horcrux) others were stupid

For example, Voldemort wants to seal a door. Why use that lock that can be broken by a splash of blood? Why not parseltongue. DO the samething as the Headmaster's office but rather than candy make it "Serpentine Darkness") or something!?

Its just common sense. IF you speak THE most rare language on earth, and you needed to seal a door MAKE A PASSWORD!!!

:stalks off in anger: :x

7. Midknight

Fucking fidelius charm the goddamned thing, case closed.

Sorc stone, Hogwarts, Azkaban, etc. It's not like it wasn't in the damned books from the first chapter or anything ya know....

8. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

chamber of secrets can have a parseltoung password.
    but the most important stuff like an object that has part of your soul can be accesed by anyone

9. Midknight

Exactly. The room that has a lethal at a glance gaurdian gets a ultra rare password only 2 people in half a century can speak.

An item that holds a part of your immortality, it'll be gaurded by zombies who run from a cheap ass fire spell, and the door will open with a cut from your finger.

Does she even do a damned sanity check anymore?

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Heh... her world gets more confusing by the hour.

11. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Yeah, but in all fairness, I don't know how one moves a basilisk. These people who have Harry riding a basilisk out of nowhere. :shakes head: I've also always assumed that these creatures are too magical to be transported. I don't know how they move them around.

12. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

you ask it to move

13. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

lol

14. Midknight

Or how they keep from being petrified when the thing looks at them. Riddle I could buy, since he was a memory, not a human, but the basilisk harming the ghost in CoS was retarded.

15. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Well, I think Tom would rather have them just petrified. In fact, because many other students were just petrified before Moaning Mrytle suggests that Tom did not want to kill the mudbloods, err I mean muggleborns but to simply put them out of commission. With all the shit happening at that school it appears only a murder will cause it to be shut down, Im sure its in its charter or would be if Rowling got a clue and backed her shit up. But, anyway it seems to me that Tom wanted it where the school would stay open for the Purebloods and him, and all the mudbl- muggleborns will be too scared to come back. I don't think Tom knew that Mrytle was in there.

As for all of those stupid ways the kids saw the Basilisk? Well, she had to give out clues without having the kiddies catch on so she put them in there. The whole Headless Nick thing is because she ran out of ideas and she could not have Nick around to say who and what did it.

Basically she painted herself into a corner and decided to have the ability to walk on ceilings.

16. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

haha how true how true.
    thats what shes gonna do with these horcuxes.

17. Midknight

I'm still trying to figure that out now come to think of it.

If you look it directly in the eyes, it'll kill you, but if you see it's eyes in a puddle, you're only petrified... even in a magic world, what effing sense does that make?

It never really implies that Tom can actually control the Basilisk's gaze either.

Either you look it straight on and die, like Mrytle did, or you glance it off of something and petrify. Maybe the students supposedly just got lucky constantly

18. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

It does go against the Medusa myth where even the reflection turns you into stone. How about the actualy basilisk myth? what does it say about seeing the eyes indirectly?

19. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

If Tom really wanted it to kill people, why didn't he just command it to bite them after the petrification or something?

20. Midknight

In Greek and European bestiaries and legends, a basilisk (from the Greek basileus, a king) is a legendary reptile reputed to be king of serpents and said to have the power of causing death by a single glance. According to the Naturalis Historia of Pliny the Elder, the basilisk is a small snake that is so poisonous that it leaves a wide trail of deadly venom in its wake, and its gaze is likewise lethal.

It is called "king" because it is reputed to have on its head a mitre-shaped crest. Stories of the basilisk place it in the same general family as the cockatrice. The basilisk is fabulously alleged to be hatched by a serpent or reptile from a cock's egg (in some legends specifically an egg laid by a seven-year-old cock during a full moon, or under various other astrological portents). In Medieval Europe, the description of the creature began taking on features from cockerels. Geoffrey Chaucer featured a basilicok (as he called it) in his Canterbury Tales.

Stories gradually added to the basilisk's deadly capabilities, such as describing it as a larger beast, capable of breathing fire and killing with the sound of its voice. Some writers even claimed that it could kill not only by touch, but also by touching something that is touching it, like a sword. The Basilisk is also the guardian creature of the Swiss city Basel.

Eventually the basilisk's image settled as a small animal with the head, clawed wings, and talons of a rooster, and the sinuous body of a snake. A single glance from it could kill, and it could spit its venom at long distance to fry birds out of the air. Basilisks lived in the desert - in fact they were the desert, as no plants could live around them. Basilisks were supposedly born out of a rooster's egg that was hatched by a viper or toad. Although seemingly invulnerable, basilisks had two great enemies: the weasel and the rooster. Weasels are immune to a basilisk's glare and venom, and kill the reptiles mercilessly. In addition, merely hearing a rooster's crow kills a basilisk.

Basilisks have been re-used in fantasy fiction for books, movies, and games. It is common to find basilisks in the bestiaries of role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons and Final Fantasy. A large, snake-like basilisk was also featured in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Some more indirect inspirations include David Langford's short story "comp.basilisk FAQ", about "basilisk images" that kill those who see them, and the deceased Spider-Man villain Basil "Basilisk" Ecks, who was transformed by a mystical jewel into a green-skinned red-eyed man who could transform people into stone with a look.

--

Or vanish the petrified bodies, or dig a hole and drop them in, or drop them at the bottom of a lake, or..etc..etc

Not open for further replies.