1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The problems with HBP, chapter by chapter.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Midknight, Aug 21, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

But if they died or went missing, the school would have been shut down and Riddle didnt want that until he was no longer a memory. It kinda makes sense now thou what the hell did he say to the Basilisk?

"Look at them indirectly, my sweet"

Meh... its all fucked up.

2. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

This bit really annoyed me, not your analysis, the bit in the book. She claims to be half right, but she wasnt. Harry was right when he said the HBP was a bloke. All she did was get the guess that Prince was a name that related to the person.

And... Just why was Hermione such a *u** in the book, seriously i used to like her but she just tunred into the ultimate chode...

Edit: Also, does anyone think this book was written almost as film script? I reckon it would convert into the best film so far, it was just a gash book. Maybe she gets so much more from the films that she thought she should write a brief outline on what happens, instead of actually writing a book

3. noddwyd

noddwyd Third Year

hidden under the floorboards, in tiny pieces.
    ugh, I just cant get over how stupid the characters are. This isn't fit for anybody to read, let alone children....

4. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

*applauds Midknight*

Man I wish I saw this 5 months ago before I went and got that book. You would think that Harry would LEARN something from all the failures of the past. Occumancy for example. Finding out about the situation before diving into it.

But no... He has to be force fed ideas and information from Hermy (whos' being right bitchy throughtout the book) or Dumbles (who ignored him and pretty much left him in the dark in OoTP). He's suppose to have some cunning in him for gods sake!! Thats part of the reason why the Hat say he would do well in Slytherin. I haven't seen that side except in rare cases.

I hated HBP. I thought OoTP was bad but this really took the cake. UGH!! :puke:

5. I've been thinking about the Basilisk...hmm...perhaps if you wear mirrored sunglasses or something it won't be able to petrify you? That'd make an interesting fanfiction...

6. Cupspeaker

Cupspeaker Looked into the void

I used to like HBP until I saw this thread. Now I realize how stupid I have been and I now hate it. Good job midknight!

7. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

Anyway, while we're on the whole plot whole of hpb thing, can anyone clear something up for me. When they go into the horcrux cave and dumbledores all 'perhaps you can summon it harry, im too weak because of my withered hand', and harry calls out 'accio horcrux'. If i remember rightly, the book wrote that something ghostly white(presumably one of the inferi) jumped out of the water and fell back in. Why would anything happen when harry summoined a 'horcrux'. We know that the locket had been changed so why the hell was there movement when harry someone something that wasn't even there? Surely it would simply be that nothing happened. Can anyone clear this up for me?

8. Cupspeaker

Another plot hole by J.K Rowling. The horocrux should have been summoned but there was no horocrux in the cave. Now I wonder why I liked HBP.

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Now, this is a very interesting observation. It could even explain what I call the super!RAB clishe.

Here's what seem to have happened:

Regulus enters the cave and uses the boat to reach the tank. Having no other alternative, he's forced to drink up the content of the bowl. He ends up poisoned, like Dumbledore. In delerium, he replaces the Horracrux with the fake one and starts heading back. Unfortunately, he never had someone to help him through the inferis from the lake. His last action is to swallow the locket, beffore getting dragged off by zombies and turned into one himself.

So, the locket is inside one of the Inferi, still guarding the cave. When Harry did accio, he actually summoned RAB, with the locket inside him..

... that is of course if you're sure you haven't imagined that detail or if it wasn't just an coincidence.

10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

EXCELLENT POINT! Give the man some rep.

IP's plot idea that's above my post, is extremely cool as well

11. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Very nice. I never noticed that. Other than where the potion came from (unless it's automatically replenished for freshness or something) that could be a viable explanation, assuming JKR meant to do that. Knowing her, it's possible. She focuses on some small details, then leaves huge plotholes.

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Here's that passage, just for reference's sake.

13. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I really don't even want to read Book 7.

I don't consider HBP canon anyways.

OOTP is the only book with Harry having a hint of darkness, and that is where, in my mind, the possibilities spring up and oppurtunities expand.

Wiht HBP, you can pretty much know the rest of the story from here.

At least Harry won't die in Book 7, though. I could totally have seen that happening if I had not read the teaser last sentence in Book 7.

14. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

It would be better if he did die in book 7... being the pussy that he is in HBP.

15. Cupspeaker

The whole Harry Potter series has the children as the target audience. J.K Rowling wrote HBP to please her fans. The sixth book was simple to understand - good vs evil.

She will never have Harry going dark because her target audience wont like that. Stupid pussies. The ten year olds can take it I say!

16. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

Thanks anyway for kinda clearin' that up.

17. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    It most likely is an Inferi. Dumdle said, anything that will react when we try to get the Horcrux. Well, after Dumbles drinks the dead man juice, and they take the Horcrux, Inferi react.

18. Cupspeaker

I still dont understand why Dumble did not let Harry drink the potion thingy. Dumbledore is much more powerful than Harry and the pair would be better off if harry drank the potion.

Dumbledore was left pretty weak, so wouldnt RAB be left really weak also? Then how could he steal the horocrux after combatting the inferni?

It is a small detail, and I am sure that Rowling has something planned for it like lord ravenclaw said.

HBP was a great book or a sad book depending on who you are. If you are a 12 year old H/G fan like most HP fans are then it is a great book. Everyone has different tastes and not everyone likes the same thing. There are some tweaks that need to be done with HBP that Mid covered but after reading it the first time, not many people will read it again.

And nobody is going to comb through the details like Mid did...

19. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

I still think it was all a set up, rouse if you will to test harry and at the same time force harry to fufill his destinty,take the initiative like in Sorcerers Stone. This is of course also taking the liberty of presuming that Dumbledore is still alive and faked his death

20. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

May i use this explantion in my fic? You defintly deserve rep ^^

Not open for further replies.