1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Pure Blood Princess by TheEndless7 - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Cas, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Wow, did the author really just steal that scene from Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness where during the Battle of Hogwarts Ernie manages to kill himself or w/e to bring Susan back to life because "magic is intent and Harry's mom did it because the power of love"? I mean, did they just like trade wounds? That must've been a sight for Hagrid. "Blimey 'Arry, she prodded ya wit' 'er wand and yer boo-boo pulled the ole switcheroo! Great lass that Daphne - fer a stinkin' Slytherin, I mean. Tis a shame she died, isn't 'Arry?"

SM-fucking-H.

Now, I understand why the author is ending it there: it's Daphne's story and he/she has too much invested to continue it in another POV. Hell, the epilogue is likely going to be some bullshit little filler where Harry stands over Daphne's grave telling her rotted corpse about how they won the war in her memory and how he's been fucking Ginny and how he's going to name his firstborn daughter Daphne Lily or something along those lines. On the other hand, maybe a ghostly Daphne will tell the Epilogue from beyond the Void with some added commentary on the side from Myrtle.

Hmm, now, to think of a grade...Start off by taking a point for the horrible ending. Naturally it loses another point for being in a POV not Harry's (and a character that we know next to nothing about, too; was probably just a secret self-insert). Take another point for Harry spending time with a Slytherin and not gaining any apparent skills whatsoever (i.e. dueling, being sneaky, possibly dark magic, etc.) and instead turning into an even bigger walking magnet o' death. And take a final fucking point for the horrendous title choice.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. Rache

Rache Headmaster

I definitely enjoyed reading your rant and totally agree with you. BTW, are you the author of 'To Plant a Seed', a 3 chaptered Ravenclaw!Harry story?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

I started reading this when it began out of the hopes it would get better, but in the end I was just disappointed by the lack of plot and sheer inaneness of most of the content. The ending just topped it off. Original rating of 3/5 downgraded to 2/5.

4. f4Ze

f4Ze Squib

With the way it ends, Daphne just may as well of not existed at all seeing as how nothing significant changed from canon. Insignificant is probably the best way to describe to Daphne as well as the story. 2/5

5. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Well, Harry did get a confidence boost and xp in sex. That's the only positive I gathered from the 120k words.

6. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I've been following this story. My rate is 4/5. It's good. I don't have any grammatical issues against it. Sometimes it is too tedious, but I've read it without skipping parts. People complain about the abundance of simplistic short sentences: well, we are in a 16-years-old girl's mind, so I think it's realistic. Besides, I quickly stopped noticing them, much as nobody notices the abundance of the word "said" in any story.

The story's conclusion was totally unexpected, but looking back I can't help noticing the proverbial gun being hung on the wall since the beginning.

One complaint I have, is how Daphne spent the whole holidays crying her eyes out over what Harry did to her, and then quickly letting it go once back at school in an act of "forgive and forget."

7. Rache

Rache Headmaster

8. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It reminded me of a Nicholous Sparks ending, and I actually didn't mind. I liked the brief hints of what Harry did during the war and his current life seems to fit even canon Harry.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

And it's ... still not a real end?

I mean, it's better than ending the story with the chapter before. But it still feels like randomly cut off where it ends, maybe not so much for content, as the plot itself is resolved, but it's the middle of a dialogue. What's the matter with this author and endings? :|

10. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's actually not even bad. Story still isn't great, but at least partially-redeemed.

11. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It's still a goddamn tease, though. In-story, the conflict is resolved, sure, but all the reader knows about it is "He told me something." They seriously put the answer to the question that was driving the epilogue (what happened to Daphne) into that sentence.

It's like, uhhh, I'm sure Harry told her something. Could I please learn what exactly as well? Wtf happened to Daphne?

12. Rache

Rache Headmaster

That maybe is for the author to know and for us to guess. The author redeemed himself slightly with the epilogue, unlike the previous ending. As for the still questionable ending, *shrugs* it is one of the reasons why my rating is still 2.5/5.

13. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The epilogue could be its own stand alone oneshot.

Actually, I found it more interesting then the story itself. If TheEndless7 got rid of all the previous chapters, I'd probably rate the epilogue a 4/5.

On a side note, what's with the author's obsession with female protagonists dabbling in professional dancing? He had Fleur be a professional dancer at the end of Letters, and now he has Daphne having bit roles in dancing in this story.

14. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

To be honest, the epilogue wasn't that bad. Kinda stupid, but it was...entertaining. Like some have also said, I liked it more than the actual story and it would have been a decent one-shot or something along those lines. That said, the story was still meh and I wont be re-reading it anytime soon. But even though the epilogue was decent, I still felt like I was reading the script for like an episode of The Big Bang Theory, lololol.

15. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

Just read through this story, didn't have much else to do. I will agree with all that it was a bit tedious in a lot of parts. The author really doesn't create a good sense of time either, I couldn't get a grasp on how long certain parts were. I would argue that the author did a fairly good job pulling along the plot though despite all of this. If Hemingway's 'The Sun Also Rises' can become a classic than this is fast paced in comparison.

The epilogue was the highlight of the story, which is unfortunate. It really could have stood on its own as a rather good oneshot with a few alterations.

Compared to what else is out there and not on this site this is a rare piece in a world of utter shit. 3.5-->4/5 for me

16. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

So I've been bored lately, having a gone a long time without reading any long fics. I just finished this story, and the one word to describe it is bland. I'm glad my prediction from over half a year ago was true. The same drama is essentially repeated for 18 chapters, then daphne sacrifices her magic and memories and some of her life force to save Harry using her mother's work. It seemed like a huge copout to me, for not having to write a seventh year. It just seems like the story was mostly inane filler, and the title 'pureblood princess' was about as far away from what Daphne actually was.

The epilogue was terrible, and not very interesting. I'm not sure what people here saw in it. It's almost completely unrelated to the previous 120,000 words, for at least the first half. We get to see Harry try and woo Daphne, but again, wasn't that what the last 120,000 words were? It was very unsatisfying, all said.

That being said, I had finally managed to read Letters as well (before this story actually) and the last chapter, epilogue, and omake epilogue were quit shit in that story, so I shouldn't have been too surprised that this story ended much the same.

17. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

Hey, some could like to know that TheEndless posted a new "Epilogue 0.5" today:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6943436/20/The-Pureblood-Princess

It's in Harry's POV, and tells what happened to him between chapter 18 and the first epilogue.
    Honestly, I started glad that he had written something more because (like everyone, I guess), I had questions at the end of the story, but this last piece was pretty bad IMO.

Voldemort seems unable to hit him and ends up exhausting himself while killing all his minions, thanks to Power Of Dodging TM; Harry rants about people doing nothing while letting his friends burn behind him; classical world trips with nobody (other than Hedwig) being able to find him ever; and above all we STILL don't know whatever the fuck happened to Daphne. Dammit.
    I would have to re-read it completely to rate it accurately, but from what I remember, it was a nice fic, a bit bland but one of the less bad Harry/Daphne out there (which doesn't say much, I know). The most prominent memory I have is the false-end, which was quite annoying, but I liked the way they got together without stupid love-at-first-sight and without Daphne completely losing her character overnight.
    As it is, I'd probably rate it 3~4/5 from memory.

18. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

Ep 0.5 was written for one person as part of a bet. I'm not surprised its comparatively unpolished.

19. Miner

Miner Order Member

Being the person who "won" said bet with the author, I can say that it was close to, although not quite, the original first draft. That's about as much as I'm going to say on the subject.

Also, hi endless.

20. gokieks

gokieks First Year

I was quite surprised to get a notification of this new chapter. I liked this story as a whole, and absolutely loved the (Daphne) epilogue, but gotta say, this Harry POV epilogue didn't do much for me. The plot points that it spent the most expanding on (how Voldemort was defeated, what Harry actually did between Hogwarts and re-meeting Daphne) I honestly feel like would've been better left to the reader's imagination to fill in based on the hints from the Daphne epilogue, while it gave no real answers about what happened to Daphne, which is the one thing I did want to know more.

Also, the author's need to put his stock set of OCs into every story (which is honestly my biggest complaint for most of his works) comes off as very jarring in this case.